Like or Don't like this draft and Why?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Didn't address every problem but plugged a large number of holes.

Loved the array of WR's. Assume Kingsbury needs an assortment to make his offense work.

It also seemed as if every pick delivered value - i.e. we grabbed 1st or 2nd round talent in the 3rd, 4th or 5th round. Getting Gaillard in the 6th was highway robbery.

We were very lucky the Rosen negotiations didn't blow up altogether.

Perfectionist

Objectively Correct
Reaction score
Loved this Draft. If Russel Wilson can be successful, then I have no doubt that Murray can be elite. This league is changing, just look at the Rams and Chiefs. For once, I like seeing the Cards being on the leading edge of change. Not saying we are going to the Super Bowl next year but I can guarantee you one thing, my Sunday Ticket purchase will be worth the cost a lot more this year. I also love the way they went all in on offense no half ass. And while doing that we actually added another corner that we have desperately needed. This board will be on fire this upcoming season, so it be written so it be done!

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong being skeptical of Murray, I just don't like when people just "know" he's going to be a failure before he's played a single snap. If Keim is right about Murray, he hit a home run and saved his future and we are going to be really exciting to watch on the offensive side of the ball.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wasn't on the Murray team but Cardinals followed through with a solid draft in my opinion. Weapons on offense and some real good picks on D.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Don't know how good we will be, but we are sure to be more exciting. I literally feel asleep during a few road games last year and missed more home games than I ever have and didn't feel that bad about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Huge risk at hc and #1 - rest is solid maybe great. Won’t matter if it’s air fade instead of air raid - the rest of the nfl is moving pendulum toward pass defense - we are on the front edge now - will see how we slice

Could have had Bosa and this - but we don’t - I’m in as long as we run the Ball - I think air raid depends on it - KK does run enough - I would hate to have DJ and Fitz blocking me downfield in the 2nd level to free up Murray running for his life -

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm really stoked about this draft and the weapon we got for KK.

Murray: Possibly the most explosive QB athletically combined with phenomenal arm talent and pocket passing abilities. His size will be the biggest question.

Murphy: He may be the best ball-hawking corner in the draft. Great value at the top of the 2nd.

Isabella: A mighty mite who will get compared to Welker and Edelman, but Brandon Cooks or TY Hilton may be better comps. He is small so the test will be if he can hold up physically.

Allen: A versatile D lineman with a non-stop motor and great hands enabling him to get by and control blocks to break free and make tackles.

Butler: I watched some highlights of Butler and he looks like he could develop into a Megatron/AJ Green type. He is huge and dominant down field. I can't believe we got him in the 4th.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong being skeptical of Murray, I just don't like when people just "know" he's going to be a failure before he's played a single snap. If Keim is right about Murray, he hit a home run and saved his future and we are going to be really exciting to watch on the offensive side of the ball.
I don’t care for the description of “ change the way of the nfl” stuff. But I’m excited at his potential. One thing not talked about is his learning curve of this offense won’t be nearly as difficult as it might have been for Rosen. I’m stoked.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Generally I love this draft. Does that mean I am convinced Murray is going to awesome? No. What it does mean is after sucking sludge with virtually every decision last year I’m in for swinging for the fences this year. And I think they did just that. I am genuinely excited about the season.

This is also the first time we will have ever had a QB that actually puts pressure on a defense with his feet. Jake couldn’t quite snake in the NFL the way he could in college. I feel like we are so often on the receiving end of a QB scrambling just outta pressure and making a bone crushing play (rothkisberger, Rodgers, Wilson). Now we get to do that to other teams’ fans (hopefully).

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t care for the description of “ change the way of the nfl” stuff. But I’m excited at his potential. One thing not talked about is his learning curve of this offense won’t be nearly as difficult as it might have been for Rosen. I’m stoked.
Most people are never comfortable with change..;)

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am about as happy as I have ever been at the end of a draft. Our draft was full of skill position players, who are inherently more exciting, but I also respect the full commitment to KK and the Air Raid. I'm still not sure it will work, but even if it fails, it will be fun to watch along the way.

Best Value Pick - Butler. There is no reason he should have been there in the fourth. I know about the drops. They weren't bad enough to overshadow his many other positives. Chad Williams he ain't.

Least Favorite Pick - Murphy. I understand why they took him. I just thought there were some Olinemen of similar value and more importance. I also think they are valuing the hometown angle a little too much these days. The guy is obviously talented, though, so I'm not too mad. I just wish they would have gone in a different direction.

Favorite Pick - Murray. I wasn't in the Murray camp before the draft, but he holds the keys to the franchise now. I will support him wholeheartedly. I am worried he will turn into the next RG III, but if he puts it all together in KK's system, he could be to the NFL what Steph Curry is to the NBA. Until he proves otherwise, I will be a believer.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
It is a completely different team. Almost a different franchise. Keim and Bidwill are the only leftovers. If Michael Bidwill is willing to pay the money, I am all in

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
He pretty much went chalk which makes me think BA played a much bigger role in the past drafts considering the Bucs picked a small school CB at the top of the second round that was kind of off the radar
You think BA had input on a small school CB getting drafted ~ especially that early??

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You think BA had input on a small school CB getting drafted ~ especially that early??
Yes, he played for a small college program and coached for several years small college program
He got a chance to coach in the nfl later and become a head coach at 62, and showed some bitterness about it
I think he has some kind of preference towards the underrated programs cause it was what he went through

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The whole success of the draft depends on Murray. Very skeptical of him. I think the "NFL is changing" talk is premature. Remember when the read/option and the wildcat were going to change the NFL?

Bottom line is QB's need to be able to beat you from the pocket with their arm. Look at last year's final 4. Brady, Brees, Goff, and Mahomes are all guys that can beat you from the pocket. Considering Murray hasn't taken a snap from under center or read a defense, I'm not expecting much but hoping for the best.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The whole success of the draft depends on Murray. Very skeptical of him. I think the "NFL is changing" talk is premature. Remember when the read/option and the wildcat were going to change the NFL?

Bottom line is QB's need to be able to beat you from the pocket with their arm. Look at last year's final 4. Brady, Brees, Goff, and Mahomes are all guys that can beat you from the pocket. Considering Murray hasn't taken a snap from under center or read a defense, I'm not expecting much but hoping for the best.
It’s funny cause this applies to Haskins as well.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
It’s funny cause this applies to Haskins as well.
Shows you don't know what you're talking about. Haskins made play calls, line adjustments, route adjustments etc. at the LOS. Plus, if you did some research you'll know Haskins had plenty of time under center in practice. Especially when Ryan Day was running practice during Meyer's suspension.

I think it's funny you're trying to tell me about OSU QB's and think I'm being a homer on Haskins when I have never thought any of their QB's were NFL material. Barret, Braxton Miller, all the way back to Troy Smith, I thought had no chance in the NFL.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
First 5 picks should make the team

First 5 picks could start. If not this year, by next year for sure.

Lamont Gailliard is 50/50 to start at C this year IMO.

Then throw in Deionte Thompson.

That would be 7 starters from one draft.

Foundational if it happens...completely changes this team into the future.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brian Peavy makes the roster (buh bye BW).

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Generally I love this draft. Does that mean I am convinced Murray is going to awesome? No. What it does mean is after sucking sludge with virtually every decision last year I’m in for swinging for the fences this year. And I think they did just that. I am genuinely excited about the season.

This is also the first time we will have ever had a QB that actually puts pressure on a defense with his feet. Jake couldn’t quite snake in the NFL the way he could in college. I feel like we are so often on the receiving end of a QB scrambling just outta pressure and making a bone crushing play (rothkisberger, Rodgers, Wilson). Now we get to do that to other teams’ fans (hopefully).
That’s the one thing I thought last year when we drafted Rosen . I wanted a mobile qb in the worse way. We could have trade down and took Jackson but didn’t have the balls. However there were and still are manny concerns about Jackson.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I loved this draft and here is why:

1. Kyler Murray. I think he can be a top 10 QB and a player that defensive coordinators have to fear. He was the most explosive player in the draft and was the biggest upgrade for the team.

2. Byron Murphy. In a vaccuum, I would have gone WR here, but I like this pick. Murphy's play reminds me a bit of Aeneas Williams. What I mean by that is that Aeneas' game was a very cerebral game and Murphy shows a high level understanding of coverages and CB technique. He was easily the best CB in the draft because he should have the smoothest transition. He didnt run well because he tried to rapidly gain weight. He was a top 15 player on the Cardinals board.

3. Isabella was a guy that I discounted at first, but a few weeks ago I watched some tape on him and I was impressed. By the time #62 came up, all of the guys I would have targeted at #33 were gone, so Isabella was the guy. Outside of Hollywood Brown, this kid was the most explosive WR in the draft, but he is much more solidly built and doesnt have the lis franc injury concern. This kid is tailor made for the Air Raid and I think he is going to really productive this year

4. Zach Allen. I mentioned this during the draft, but teams have to consider if a player has a good shot at making the roster when they draft a player. Allen filled a huge need since the DL rotation was very weak before this selection. Allen was a tweener without a position in college, but is a very good fit in Joseph's 3-4 at DE. This kid works his ass off and plays his ass off. I think hes going to be a fan favorite and will be a staple on the defensive line for years.

4. Hakeem Butler. I didnt like the idea of him in round 2 or 3 because of two reasons: 1. He dropped a lot of balls in college 2. Receivers his height struggle to play in the NFL. That said, he is a tremendous value in round four. His physical profile is off the charts. Huge, fast, explosive. He could be a star receiver if his hands improve.

5. Deionte Thompson. Absolute steal at this point. Fell due to medicals. The Cards have lacked a true center fielder type for some time and have a big hole at backup safety. He could be a starter in a few years.

6. Keesean Johnson. Another receiver? Yes the Cardinals desperately needed talent and free agency was vastly overpriced for even mediocre players (Cole Beasley got $9 million). I kept seeing mocks on this board where people were taking one WR and I was shocked because the need was so great. Johnson is a steady receiver who catches the ball well but doesnt have any outstanding physical ability. Solid value at this point in the draft.

7. Lamont Gaillard. Tough, physical IOL. He can play both guard spots and center. Q William's said he was the best OL he went against last year. Started a ton of games and was a team captain. He has a real role that he could fill on this team. A Kugler pick.

8. Joshua Miles. Just like Cunningham last year, the Cardinals go for a big, long OT late in the draft to develop. Miles played at a HBCU, so a much lower level of competition. This is another Kugler pick. Great measurables. Very long arms and massive hands. He has a shot at making the roster or practice squad.

9. Michael Dogbe. Tough, strong and physical. Fills out DL rotation more.

10. Caleb Wilson. Glorified WR at TE. Not a blocker at all, but led the nation in receiving amongst TEs.