Who will be the Suns next head coach?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man... the Lakers are just such an epic trainwreck. It's crazy and awesome living in LA right now and getting to hear the meltdown every day on the radio.

There are just so many factions and alliances there that it's making it impossible to read the tea leaves. I'd make a Game Of Thrones comparison but that's so overdone at this point plus that's just fiction and this is very real. We're incompetent and a complete mess and somehow they've still managed to one-up us.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are just so many factions and alliances there that it's making it impossible to read the tea leaves. I'd make a Game Of Thrones comparison but that's so overdone at this point plus that's just fiction and this is very real. We're incompetent and a complete mess and somehow they've still managed to one-up us.

I've always wanted to make a TV show about that family in the aftermath of their father's death. it's such an interesting group odd-balls, backstabbers, attention-****** destroying what was once the greatest prize in all basketball.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to make a TV show about that family in the aftermath of their father's death. it's such an interesting group odd-balls, backstabbers, attention-****** destroying what was once the greatest prize in all basketball.

Just take notes, it's writing itself. It's amazing how under the radar this whole thing is. Well, it's not exactly under the radar but when you consider how high profile that organization is it's surprisingly under-reported.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has been reported but the Pelicans are pursuing Suns trainer Aaron Nelson.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some good news, perhaps. Ty Lue apparently had a great interview in LA and it's said he made a connection with Jeannie Buss.

I forgot that Lue was Laker in his playing days. He was a backup, which he was in most stops, but I think that might help him land the Laker job. It gives him an edge over Monty if all else is equal. Even if the Suns don't get Monty Williams as their next coach, I hope the Lakers get Lue as theirs. I believe he'll help make the divide between Lebron and the youngsters bigger. That means more turmoil in LaLa Land.

I'd love beat the Lakers back to the back to the playoffs. I think there is a strong possibility of that happening if we hire Monty Williams, or someone with a better history as a head coach than Igor.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Can you PLEASE stop posting garbage tweets from totally unreliable sources?

I'm sure you'll give your usual non-sense excuse of "I thought it was funny" or something, but seriously, this board is irrational enough without having to hear input from every dolt with a twitter account and a keyboard.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like the Suns are on to Portland for interviews. I was hoping they had wrapped up Williams.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like the Suns are on to Portland for interviews. I was hoping they had wrapped up Williams.

Yeah, I think when you ask another team for the right to interview one of their coaches that you pretty much need to do just that. If he's who we really want, hopefully they either got a verbal from Monty or at least intrigued him but it was always going to play out this way IMO.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think when you ask another team for the right to interview one of their coaches that you pretty much need to do just that. If he's who we really want, hopefully they either got a verbal from Monty or at least intrigued him but it was always going to play out this way IMO.

I guess I have mixed feelings. If Monty wants to think about the job, then sure do the interviews.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I have mixed feelings. If Monty wants to think about the job, then sure do the interviews.

Maybe you missed my point? I think it's a huge black mark, one we don't need, to arrange interviews and not go through with them. Even if you've reached an, you go through with your commitments.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe you missed my point? I think it's a huge black mark, one we don't need, to arrange interviews and not go through with them. Even if you've reached an, you go through with your commitments.

I see your point and agree with most of it but I would not want to be interviewed for a job if the selection has already been made. If Cardinals are undecided then sure.

In theory the Suns should interview every scheduled candidate so I can't say that's not the right way to do it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Williams is in the middle of a playoff series. If you go into an interview with the idea that whoever you interview has to commit then and there, you’re not going to hire anyone worthwhile.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Plus, it's good to do your due diligence. The Suns have already tried the other way where they got enamored with Watson and didn't interview anybody else. Look how that turned out.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think they are going to find out the other two guys are not as good as Monty Williams. Which has value in learning that alone.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some tidbits. Reports are the Suns didn't make an offer to Monty Williams.

The Suns didn’t make Williams an offer, according to league sources. ESPN has reported that Williams, a former head coach in New Orleans, is Phoenix’s top target.

The Los Angeles Lakers conducted a second interview with Williams on Thursday, but didn’t make an offer to him or Tyronn Lue, the Los Angeles Times reported.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phoenix has been granted permission to speak with Portland assistants Nate Tibbetts and David Vanterpool as ESPN is reporting Suns officials will meet with them Saturday.

Like the 76ers, the Trail Blazers are in the playoffs, too.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...t-monty-williams-didnt-make-offer/3604563002/

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why give permission?

In addition to what others have said, this helps build a good relationship between our front office and New Orleans. If we are planning on making an offer for Jrue Holiday then this will help, I believe. Of course we won't get compensation if they hire Nelson because teams don't give up picks or players for trainers but it could be the difference between choosing another deal and ours if they view both deals similarly. Denying permission for New Orleans to speak with Nelson could have made them less likely to work something with us in the future.

With a new GM it's important to build relationships around the league. Of course we shouldn't be giving away valued employees but Aaron Nelson has been with the Suns a long time, maybe it's time for a change. Our training staff hasn't seemed as great as it did years back. Injuries happen, they're difficult to avoid, but the Suns have certainly suffered their fare share over the last few years and the players aren't exactly returning quickly when they do get hurt. I don't blame Nelson for that, it could be many things, but it doesn't appear that our training staff is working the miracles they did a decade ago with Nash, Grant Hill, and others.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Can you PLEASE stop posting garbage tweets from totally unreliable sources?

I'm sure you'll give your usual non-sense excuse of "I thought it was funny" or something, but seriously, this board is irrational enough without having to hear input from every dolt with a twitter account and a keyboard.
You can always ignore posts if you wish to do so.

And if you think this board is so irrational then why exactly are you still here?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can always ignore posts if you wish to do so.

And if you think this board is so irrational then why exactly are you still here?

What is the sense in ignoring one post when it triggers a larger reaction?

I'm sorry that I have an issue with your habit of linking unsubstantiated garbage, maybe do a better job of discerning your sources... or maybe show even an ounce of personal credibility and I will stop pointing out the nonsense.

If not... perhaps you can find a twitter account out there with 2 followers who disagrees with my righteous indignation.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson