2019 4th round pick is Hakeem Butler WR

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Very solid wr depth for the cards in the later rounds

They are trying to help Murray with wr weapons i hope Isabella and butler both pan out

Man already looking forward to preseason!

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Iowa State fan/alum here. I'm basically going to have to become a Cardinals fan now even though I'm a life long Vikings fan. Hakeem Butler literally came out of nowhere for us especially when you consider he didn't even play Football seriously until about 5 years ago. The guy was barely recruited and if he didn't go to ISU, he would have gone to a place like SE Louisiana State (no joke). He was a basketball player before and actually was considering being a college basketball player (he's cousins with the Harrison Twins from Kentucky btw). He moved from Baltimore to Houston due to the death of his mother, and was just not recruited highly at all. It pains me that he left the program but I'm so happy for the guy, and I'm so happy for the guy to be going to a team that might have an awesome passing offense next season. Arizona is shaping up to be a potentially really exciting team to watch next year. Butler is easily one of my favorite WR in college football ever.

The guy is a straight up beast. Yes, he had some dropped passes but they were definitely focus issues. He had some amazing catches including a 1 handed over the shoulder catch against Baylor, jumping one handed catch against Washington State, etc. Focus issues are correctable. His athletic ability is awesome - good leaping ability - and I believe he's the longest WR ever measured at the combine with wingspan. Huge hands too. Faster and stronger than he appears. Defenders had a hard time bringing him down (I'm not talking about the play against Oklahoma where he breaks 3 or 4 tackles - just other plays that aren't going to make the highlight reel - but watch some game by game highlights if you want to see what I'm talking about).

Enjoy
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Welcome aboard! Thanks for the inside scoop!

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Iowa State fan/alum here. I'm basically going to have to become a Cardinals fan now even though I'm a life long Vikings fan. Hakeem Butler literally came out of nowhere for us especially when you consider he didn't even play Football seriously until about 5 years ago. The guy was barely recruited and if he didn't go to ISU, he would have gone to a place like SE Louisiana State (no joke). He was a basketball player before and actually was considering being a college basketball player (he's cousins with the Harrison Twins from Kentucky btw). He moved from Baltimore to Houston due to the death of his mother, and was just not recruited highly at all. It pains me that he left the program but I'm so happy for the guy, and I'm so happy for the guy to be going to a team that might have an awesome passing offense next season. Arizona is shaping up to be a potentially really exciting team to watch next year. Butler is easily one of my favorite WR in college football ever.

The guy is a straight up beast. Yes, he had some dropped passes but they were definitely focus issues. He had some amazing catches including a 1 handed over the shoulder catch against Baylor, jumping one handed catch against Washington State, etc. Focus issues are correctable. His athletic ability is awesome - good leaping ability - and I believe he's the longest WR ever measured at the combine with wingspan. Huge hands too. Faster and stronger than he appears. Defenders had a hard time bringing him down (I'm not talking about the play against Oklahoma where he breaks 3 or 4 tackles - just other plays that aren't going to make the highlight reel - but watch some game by game highlights if you want to see what I'm talking about).

Enjoy

Nice! Welcome to the forum!

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
that highlight tape

lots of NFL translatable skills there

for a guy who has hands issues, he sure has a lot of highly contested catches (courtesy of Valley HS kid - Brock Purdy)

thightower34

Rookie
Reaction score
Think it’s a typo, the number is correct but it’s the accumulated number of injuries our OL has
It’s like the old joke: The food was terrible but the portions were really great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love love love!!! Has the potential to be a legit #1 for years and years and has a whole season to understudy with Fitz..... STEAL!!!!
I agree. I couldn't think of a better place for him to be groomed.

marothisu

Reaction score
that highlight tape

lots of NFL translatable skills there

for a guy who has hands issues, he sure has a lot of highly contested catches (courtesy of Valley HS kid - Brock Purdy)

Yes - they were focus issue for whatever reason. I know he has been working on this in the offseason. He had a lot of crazy catches you just don't make if you can't catch the ball. I don't know how a lot of "experts" couldn't even see that from watching a lot of his film. You don't make a stretched out leaping 1 handed catch with a guy on you if you cannot catch. Period. Focus issues are correctable and if he does that, he's going to be a beast in the NFL.

It's obvious that so many teams are valuing lately the small speedy guys over the big guys. Iowa State last year had a great receiver too, Allen Lazard - 6'5" as well. Not as fast as Butler and his leaping ability not as good, but still quick enough and a very skilled receiver. Most experts thought he would go in the 4th or 5th round - he went undrafted and signed with Jacksonville (for some reason - now he's with the Packers). I think if Butler is successful in the NFL, a lot of teams are going to kick themselves for not getting him and then shift back to trying to find a tall, athletic, and fairly quick receiver again.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Enjoy

Welcome! Excited to watch this guy beast for us. Just fair warning... being a Cards fan can be hard on the psyche ;)

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
This draft feels very unlike Keim. Maybe Mikey gave this draft to KK?

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
This draft almost feels very unlike Keim. Maybe Mikey gave this draft to KK?
I believe the head coach has always had big input under Keim. BA always seemed to get his type of guys and KK seems to be getting his type of guys. I think we have gotten a little lucky with what were looking for lining up nicely with what's available. Picking 1st in every round doesn't hurt either.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Love love love!!! Has the potential to be a legit #1 for years and years and has a whole season to understudy with Fitz..... STEAL!!!!
As much as I agree I still think Gary Jennings is a better player! And yes he played in the Air Raid at WVU

wkycardsfan

Rookie
Reaction score
I have been singing Butler's praises for a while now. LOVE this pick. A lot of Boom/Bust potential here but the guy is an athletic freak. If he reaches his potential we got a stud for years in the 4th round!! Getting him this late makes the bust potential much easier to deal with. We got what I believe is the best CB in the draft, a jitterbug YAC receiver, a very solid 3-4 DE then the WR with the highest ceiling in the draft if he reaches it. Very solid rebound from a shaky Day 1

Buckybird

Reaction score
I will say this, our WR talent is night & day better than last season.

I’ll be shocked if Chad Williams or Kevin White last very long on this roster

Buckybird

Reaction score
I believe the head coach has always had big input under Keim. BA always seemed to get his type of guys and KK seems to be getting his type of guys. I think we have gotten a little lucky with what were looking for lining up nicely with what's available. Picking 1st in every round doesn't hurt either.
Totally agree K2 had lots of say on the types of weapons he wants. But I also think Spencer Whipple is pretty darn smart & a good input as well

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hakeem Butler

6'5"227 lbs Iowa State

Pre-Draft Analysis

Butler is a big target with excellent length, big hands and good top-end speed. He has the frame and body control to win one-on-one downfield. He isn't as dangerous after the catch, but he's a powerful open-field runner. Butler flashes the ability to make the first defender miss, and he's a threat when he gets a chance to build speed.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now I like this pick. Lots of physicality for a player as lanky as he is. Looks strong. Lots of YAC. Hard to bring down. Highlights didn't show drops, but I assume that is a real thing. He still has a young body, I imagine he is going to add muscle to that. Could be a real gem.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think McDonough has a bigger influence this year. Those guys breath analytics

Its why PFF and Football Outsiders are going to love this draft

PFF loves this draft, but you’d be surprised that Football outsiders didnt like the Murray Pick much at all. Their QBase rating system had him the equivalent of Rosen when he came out, and well below Baker.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PFF loves this draft, but you’d be surprised that Football outsiders didnt like the Murray Pick much at all. Their QBase rating system had him the equivalent of Rosen when he came out, and well below Baker.

Murray's lack of experience is a big negative in QBASE. It's a big gamble for sure

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

Enjoy
Welcome to the board! The Air Raid bandwagon still has a few seats left!

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Carolina Panthers tried to draft a few big receivers for high throwing Cam. Funchess 6' 4 and Benjamin 6'5. Both drafted high. This guy makes then look like poopoo. You can see the Basketball player in him, Fast.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson