The Draft So Far

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
As I’m sure you’re all too aware this was not what I had hoped the Cards would do. It seems the Cards felt they had made a mistake with Rosen as the cost of going to Murray was extreme. Oddly after selecting Murray they decided to split the draft offense/defense rather than go all out to assist Murray. They took a decent receiver, but have no real deep threat who can spread the field. One of Murray’s strengths was laying out deep throws for the receivers to run under. That only works if the receiver is behind the defender. I don’t think even Kirk is that type of burner. They took a good third down or hot read receiver but his game speed rarely puts him behind defenders. They still don’t have a receiving TE. They didn’t add youth to an improved OL but rather settled for a marginal conglomeration of components. Whether they can mesh into an effective unit is still in question. There are still a couple of useful OL options if they so choose but none are certain successes. I guess they think their RB group is fine, but I don’t. I think Murphy helps the defense, but will not be an immediate impact player. Allen is a role player at best. I guess my major concern is it seemed to me that with every selection this extremely deep draft offered better choices. It also seemed that comparable players to Isabella & Allen could be had later in the draft. It’s not that they didn’t make decent choices but with the first pick in every round they played it conservatively. They could have made some trades. It seems to me they just didn’t get their money’s worth.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
As I’m sure you’re all too aware this was not what I had hoped the Cards would do. It seems the Cards felt they had made a mistake with Rosen as the cost of going to Murray was extreme. Oddly after selecting Murray they decided to split the draft offense/defense rather than go all out to assist Murray. They took a decent receiver, but have no real deep threat who can spread the field. One of Murray’s strengths was laying out deep throws for the receivers to run under. That only works if the receiver is behind the defender. I don’t think even Kirk is that type of burner. They took a good third down or hot read receiver but his game speed rarely puts him behind defenders. They still don’t have a receiving TE. They didn’t add youth to an improved OL but rather settled for a marginal conglomeration of components. Whether they can mesh into an effective unit is still in question. There are still a couple of useful OL options if they so choose but none are certain successes. I guess they think their RB group is fine, but I don’t. I think Murphy helps the defense, but will not be an immediate impact player. Allen is a role player at best. I guess my major concern is it seemed to me that with every selection this extremely deep draft offered better choices. It also seemed that comparable players to Isabella & Allen could be had later in the draft. It’s not that they didn’t make decent choices but with the first pick in every round they played it conservatively. They could have made some trades. It seems to me they just didn’t get their money’s worth.

It has been a very "un-Keim" draft. Safe picks, no movement, no real projects yet.

still would like to see them grab a #1 WR....Butler would be nice even with his drops.

as for oline,...I dont think there is anyone left who would be better than a practice squad guy for us.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kyle Rudolph is supposedly on the block for a late pick. Probably better than any TE we'd get with a later pick.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I agree with your thoughts on philosophy. Once we got Murray, I thought that we really needed to go all in on offense early. I look at what is left, and I feel like I was correct. OL is really thin. TE has been gobbled up. Still lots of nickel CBs and 3-4 DEs on the board. The players we selected were fine, but how we have navigated this draft has been pretty poor.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
PFF would disagree with you slightly lol. All 4 of our picks are in their top 40. Zach Allen is #40 & the other three are ranked higher with KM being #1 on their board.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It has been a very "un-Keim" draft. Safe picks, no movement, no real projects yet.

still would like to see them grab a #1 WR....Butler would be nice even with his drops.

as for oline,...I dont think there is anyone left who would be better than a practice squad guy for us.
There's a Guard & Tackle both Wisconsin players still left that are supposed to be pretty good. Can't remember their names but I do know I cannot pronounce the tackles last name lol.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would have went in a different direction position wise but disagree we didn't get value. Allen gets better reviews in what I read and listened to. Most really like the pick.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
As much as I hate the Murray pick i will give them credit for Murphy,Isabella and Zach Allen.All can contribute early and help.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Guys i like I’d look at here early today:

Michael Jordan, OG
D’Andre Walker, OLB
David Edwards, OT
Hakeem Butler, WR
Charles Omenihu-DE
Anthony Johnson, WR

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

As much as I hate the Murray pick i will give them credit for Murphy,Isabella and Zach Allen.All can contribute early and help.

u would love murray too, u just playing the stubborn role :D:cheers:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
There's a Guard & Tackle both Wisconsin players still left that are supposed to be pretty good. Can't remember their names but I do know I cannot pronounce the tackles last name lol.
David Edwards is a darn good football player!

And how is Michael Jordan from OSU still on the board?

Good players available in this round & hope zkeim makes some trades up in this ones

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
PFF would disagree with you slightly lol. All 4 of our picks are in their top 40. Zach Allen is #40 & the other three are ranked higher with KM being #1 on their board.

Not only PFF, almost all the draft assessment "experts" felt we almost always picked the player available.. Harry must have a whole different list than everybody else..

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am surprised ARZ has taken no OL yet. They need depth for their walking wounded projected starters next year. I figure they would go after Samia and /or Powers but maybe go after a David Edwards. I am also surprised at the run on OT through Round 3, Tytus Howard going in Round 1 and Trey Pipkins going in Round 3 goes to show how valuable athletic OT''s with potential are in this league.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I am surprised ARZ has taken no OL yet. They need depth for their walking wounded projected starters next year. I figure they would go after Samia and /or Powers but maybe go after a David Edwards. I am also surprised at the run on OT through Round 3, Tytus Howard going in Round 1 and Trey Pipkins going in Round 3 goes to show how valuable athletic OT''s with potential are in this league.

They need to protect Kyler. We can’t have another situation like last year. “Weapons” on offense for Kyler are only valuable if he is not in traction because of a poor O-Line

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Not only PFF, almost all the draft assessment "experts" felt we almost always picked the player available.. Harry must have a whole different list than everybody else..
I have defended PFF on this board in the past. That said they are an experimental program attempting to assign statistical ratings to specific performance aspects. Someday they may be equivalent to baseball’s Sabermetrics. I think after the first 15 picks everybody has a different list this year. Are you talking about the best player or who they’d pick. Certainly Murray wasn’t ranked atop many lists except some QB only lists. So far the only pick I didn’t think would play is Allen. I’m certainly not alone on that though some scouts liked him. I will admit that I expected more offensive players early. Again I wasn’t alone in that assessment. I guess I’m just not sure which people are unified in their picks but contrary to me?

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I have defended PFF on this board in the past. That said they are an experimental program attempting to assign statistical ratings to specific performance aspects. Someday they may be equivalent to baseball’s Sabermetrics. I think after the first 15 picks everybody has a different list this year. Are you talking about the best player or who they’d pick. Certainly Murray wasn’t ranked atop many lists except some QB only lists. So far the only pick I didn’t think would play is Allen. I’m certainly not alone on that though some scouts liked him. I will admit that I expected more offensive players early. Again I wasn’t alone in that assessment. I guess I’m just not sure which people are unified in their picks but contrary to me?

Keep bringing your input Harry.i like it since yours comes from actual scouts and people involved in the game.No one guy is going to seen the same thru different eyes all the time and that's what makes it interesting .Keep it up I like your input.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We've got 18 O-Linemen on the roster right now (with the top 8 pretty much locked in) so I'm not surprised that they haven't drafted one. If a highly rated one had fallen then there was a chance, but they kept getting taken a few picks before our pick.