Grading the Draft

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
B+ Forgetting the past, we have had a wonderful 2019 draft, nicely filling half our needs, while leaving OL and LB core to be addressed in the 2020 draft.

1.1. Got the most exciting productive QB to come out of college in years, who on top of that is the perfect dream fit for our new offense and coach. Considering Cards recent history, what could be more exciting.

2.1 Got the best rated CB, filling what we have been looking for and needing for years.

2.30 Missed out on WR Brown who went in first, but got his clone filling a wonderful and exciting spot on our team, costing us only a player we no longer needed or could use.

3.1 Got an extremely productive player, great worker, and superb run stopper who can be moved all over the line and fits our D perfectly.

4.1. Wow, a lot of us wanted this huge WR. We got our wr Mutt to go with our wr Jeff.

5.1. Great size and ball locater, who reads QBs eyes well, coached and taught the position by the guru himself, Nick Saban.

6.1/6 An underneath route running possession WR goes perfect with 1st two WRs drafted, and a bullish OG/C with size and power, yet a bit slow reacting to speed rushers.

7.34/35/40 OT and DE projects w/ good strength and measurables who need teaching, and a potential starting TE who can stretch the field with good hands and speed.

Draft has provided us with 7 really good and exciting players, 4 probable starters and 3 who should contribute regularly, which should be a great inspiration for us downtrodden Card fans. This draft has HOPE eternal written all over it and should show instant results. Just what we needed.

Last edited:

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm excited we could have a top 5 QB.

I'm excited we could have a lockdown CB

I'm excited we could have a good-great slot receiver

I'm excited we could have a good underrated high motor, mean streak DL.

Now, the percentages say we can't expect these guys to pan out like this, but I think barring injury we got some players that are going to be key pieces of our future.

This might be our best draft in a long time. It sucks so many are upset.

Can't wait for rounds 4-7.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
1. A
2. A -
3. B
4. B -

1. Kyler could be a transcendent talent. He is a gamble, but you sometimes have to gamble on greatness.

2. Murphy was a tremendous value and was likely BPA, but the Cardinals have Peterson, Alford, and Brock. Three capable, vet corners. Need wasn't high. This is the problem with BPA. If the Cardinals move on from one of the veterans in the near term, this grade could get bumped.

3. Fans often miss team fit when they look at who a team should draft. I think Isabella is a great fit and fills a big need. Probably a "reach" according to some draft boards, but the film backs up this selection. Isabella and Kirk could be problematic for teams to cover over the middle. Imagine a LB getting stuck covering Isabella.

4. Not a bad spot for Allen and he could be a valuable rotational player, but OL does need to be addressed somewhere.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
PFF is going to wet themselves talking about this draft

its like Keim simply printed out the PFF rankings and went with it

curious if Cards have incorporated analytics into the scouting package

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
PFF is going to wet themselves talking about this draft

its like Keim simply printed out the PFF rankings and went with it

curious if Cards have incorporated analytics into the scouting package

Mike Mayock printed out his own NFL Network rankings and flushed his franchise down the toilet. I am enjoying his buffoonery

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Our 3.1 pick fills a huge need. We had to get better vs the run and that is what this kid does best, drops those RBs for a loss. At least that is what I have read. He can be moved around alot. Loves to get into the backfield. A bit like a middle LB it seems. maybe not as sideline to sideline fast, Im not sure.

Camshaft

Registered
Reaction score
If Wilks was still here then Murphy would be good. A guy who runs slow like Murphy would do well in wilks style of defense. But we run a 3-4, we needed a person like Jameel Dean. So sure Murphy gets an F.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Grading draft picks when nobody has taken a single NFL snap may be a fun drinking game, but it's silly. We have NO idea how this will pan out - none. Drafts should be graded 2-3 years down the line.

That said - I'm in the optimistic camp. Bidwill is swinging for the fences with a super-risky hire in Kingsbury, but give him credit for going all-in and sticking to the plan. Bringing in KK meant Rosen HAD to be moved and Kyler HAD to be the pick. Doing otherwise would have been straying from the whole reason to go with KK in the first place. And the first few picks show that they are indeed sticking with the plan. Will it work? No freaking idea! But it CAN'T be any worse than the garbage they trotted out last year. Reminds me a bit of the Bill Walsh arrival in SF in '79. The team was GUTTED. His first year they only won 2 games, but the offense was electric and showed a lot of hope for the future. The defense was in shambles and wasn't addressed in his first draft as he chose to fix the offense first. The following year they started fast but went 6-10, but again showing all kinds of promise for the future. Year 3 they win it all in '81. The Cardinals are in much better shape on defense, so if this offense proves viable, they could have a big turnaround very quickly. Maybe!

So is KK another Bill Walsh, or the second coming of Mouse Davis? Probably something in between, hopefully closer to the former than the latter. If nothing else, this should be fun. At least for a while, hopefully longer.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Wilks was still here then Murphy would be good. A guy who runs slow like Murphy would do well in wilks style of defense. But we run a 3-4, we needed a person like Jameel Dean. So sure Murphy gets an F.

Murphy is the #1 corner on a lot of boards. I'll eat my airedale if that pick rates an "F" in a year or two.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Lets get a grade from everyone now that draft is complete. Mine is an B+ based one hope that these players live up to their projections. If they all do, of course the grade becomes an A.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
B+ Forgetting the past, we have had a wonderful 2019 draft, nicely filling half our needs, while leaving OL and LB core to be addressed in the 2020 draft.

1.1. Got the most exciting productive QB to come out of college in years, who on top of that is the perfect dream fit for our new offense and coach. Considering Cards recent history, what could be more exciting.

2.1 Got the best rated CB, filling what we have been looking for and needing for years.

2.30 Missed out on WR Brown who went in first, but got his clone filling a wonderful and exciting spot on our team, costing us only a player we no longer needed or could use.

3.1 Got an extremely productive player, great worker, and superb run stopper who can be moved all over the line and fits our D perfectly.

4.1. Wow, a lot of us wanted this huge WR. We got our wr Mutt to go with our wr Jeff.

5.1. Great size and ball locater, who reads QBs eyes well, coached and taught the position by the guru himself, Nick Saban.

6.1/6 An underneath route running possession WR goes perfect with 1st two WRs drafted, and a bullish OG/C with size and power, yet a bit slow reacting to speed rushers.

7.34/35/40 OT and DE projects w/ good strength and measurables who need teaching, and a potential starting TE who can stretch the field with good hands and speed.

Draft has provided us with 7 really good and exciting players, 4 probable starters and 3 who should contribute regularly, which should be a great inspiration for us downtrodden Card fans. This draft has HOPE eternal written all over it and should show instant results. Just what we needed.

It is either an A+ or an F. No room in between. Bidwill (and his minion Keim) traded up to get Rosen, hired McCoy and Wilks, and moved to the 4-3. They then gambled by keeping the buffoon GM (Keim) and hired a coach with a losing record in college football. To further complicate the situation, they gave the new coach crate Blanche to draft every offensive weapon possible in the draft (including Keyshawn Johnson’s son). This is boom or bust for Bidwill. Very unorthodox and unprecedented. I am happy they got a second round pick for Rosen. At one point, I thought it was going to be 4th round. Bidwill is going all in. Excited to see the offense next year. But Kyler Murray must start from day 1

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am giving the whole draft an A. Seemed like every pick was a vlaue pick, AND they seemed to support the head coach's vision at the same time.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will give the draft an A-

It's hard to be perfect.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member