I’m Still Confused

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I posted this on April 15th,
“If the Cards really intend to take Murray, why not announce it? By rule they could even talk contract. I just don’t understand what advantage is gained by playing coy this late in the game. If any other team wanted Murray they’d have to put up or pass. Also teams would get serious about acquiring Rosen. I don’t think waiting until draft day will greatly increase urgency as everyone has their board done and all their scouting reports in and synthesized. It time for the Cards to assess the real value of what they hold.”

In the end they never got a good offer for Murray (I guess). They also played it so coy they never found out there was no early taker for Rosen. If they’d have known that for certain they might have re-thought the Murray pick. I’ve heard of teams stupidly bidding against themselves. This is the first time I ever saw a team refuse to open the bidding.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
You think they are planning on keeping both this whole time and seeing who beats out who?

Morty

Veteran
Reaction score
“If the Cards really intend to take Murray, why not announce it? By rule they could even talk contract. I just don’t understand what advantage is gained by playing coy this late in the game. If any other team wanted Murray they’d have to put up or pass. Also teams would get serious about acquiring Rosen. I don’t think waiting until draft day will greatly increase urgency as everyone has their board done and all their scouting reports in and synthesized. It time for the Cards to assess the real value of what they hold.”

In the end they never got a good offer for Murray (I guess). They also played it so coy they never found out there was no early taker for Rosen. If they’d have known that for certain they might have re-thought the Murray pick. I’ve heard of teams stupidly bidding against themselves. This is the first time I ever saw a team refuse to open the bidding.
Based on the "Deer in the Headlight" look in the Cardinals Warroom they may of had a trade fall through at the last moment. It is confusing. Kurt W noted that they should of had the trade ironed out before the draft. And thank you for all your awesome posts!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it sounds very likely they were trying to get the no baseball deal and untill they got it, they were not going to lock in on Murray.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score

Ok I'm going to say something seeing as it's one of the stupidest nights for the Cards I can remember The front office is fractured half Murray half Rosen in the end paralysis sets in and no body does a damn thing but on the other hand devils advocate here Walter football still has Murray as QB/WR imagine we now now have 2 young QBs to develop one can be the More than adequate backup does anyone see where this is leading Rosen is a very cheap backup for the next few years and when KK gets fired after next year then has a very good chance to resume the QB job

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
My understanding is that they wouldn't have taken Murray if he didn't agree to a no baseball clause. And he didn't until am hour before the draft started.

That makes sense. Not happy about how it transpired and how they trashed Rosen’s value but it is what it is. On to round 2. Some very good players available. One thing we know. Kyler Murray is high maintenance and a QB controversy will not be allowed. Rosen has to go

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
That makes sense. Not happy about how it transpired and how they trashed Rosen’s value but it is what it is. On to round 2. Some very good players available. One thing we know. Kyler Murray is high maintenance and a QB controversy will not be allowed. Rosen has to go

When you say Murray is high maintenance what is that based on? I haven't read anything to that effect.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
When you say Murray is high maintenance what is that based on? I haven't read anything to that effect.
I heard the same buzz from a few personnel people. No one attributed to any specific source.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Yep.

You must be registered for see images attach
what could have been

Okay, that is hilarious.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The way they handle situations like these doesn't help deflect the criticsim from former players who complain about the org.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

it is ok, the Cardinals don't owe you a detailed explanation even if you and some others who show an irrational disdain towards Murray seem to think they are entitled to it.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
After reading all the great things about Rosen, I thought that all the QB needy teams would be knocking on the Cardinals' door asking for Rosen. Teams like:
The Giants (no thanks, we'd rather have a guy from Duke).
The Redskins (what, and pass on Haskins?)

I think the problem was that the other NFL teams were looking at tapes of Josh, when they should have been reading this Board. One thing for sure we made the right move by moving on from Rosen. Now we have to hope that first QB selected this year is better than the fourth selected, last year.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
it is ok, the Cardinals don't owe you a detailed explanation even if you and some others who show an irrational disdain towards Murray seem to think they are entitled to it.

It's not even disdain for Murray for me, really. I don't love him--he wasn't the top player in the draft, and I doubt he'd have been even a consideration without Mayfield's play last year--but I don't hate him as a player either. It's how badly Keim and our FO have mangled the draft the past few years.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Hindsight is so sweet. Could've announced Murray a week or two ago. But then what? Rosen's value would've been where it is right now long before the draft. Nobody is trading away significant value for a known - albeit talented - commodity after a horrible rookie year, when this is a really deep draft in terms of talent. Unfortunately a fairly early QB run didn't materialize. After Murray there wasn't a clearcut top QB. Daniel Jones was a Giants love affair but would probably have slipped to their #17 pick anyway. Haskins wasn't as highly regarded as many thought. Had someone jumped in front of the Giants anticipating they want Haskins, the market for Rosen would've been better.

In the end all that matters if KK brings the best out of Murray. If this happens, I don't care about sunk cost, QB controversy and so on.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

You're kidding, right. Everything about this kid says my way or the highway. He'll pick and choose whatever he wants to do or not do, no matter what is expected.