Who trades for Rosen?

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
The Heisman Trophy winner will figure to be a major offensive weapon for the struggling Cardinals, who went 3-13 last season.It's unclear what the team plans to do with its former first round pick, quarterback Josh Rosen. Less than one year ago, the Cards traded up to draft the UCLA product with the 10th overall pick of the 2018 draft. After the selection the team tweeted a quote from head coach Kliff Kingsbury that simply said, "Josh is our guy."

I think Bidwill, Keim and KK have all lost their minds.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-news/2019-nfl-draft-round-one-recap/
WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY SMOKING I REALLY NEED SOME OF THAT

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
No sleep tonight for Keim and Bidwill. KK will sleep a little better. Keim and Bidwill have to be dreading their news conference. We can still land on our feet here. If we can deal Rosen , even if it’s for a 3rd round pick and trade down from our 33 for a 2 and 3 we could still have a second and 3 third round picks. We have to swallow our pride and accept the fact that we overvalued Rosen.
Keim doesn't sleep much anyways and it's not because he's toiling away at the office.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No, they were able to wait and play the draft because there are multiple options at QB available. Rosen being the least expensive in terms of capital. All of the teams rumored to be interested in QB had the QB's they wanted fall to them and they didn't have to do a trade. That doesn't mean the whole league thinks Rosen is worthless. You blow it on a pick and tell everyone you're moving on and you're not going to get a high pick in return.

If Rosen was in this draft I'm sure that someone would have drafted him in the first round. But that isn't the scenario and teams just aren't going to bail the Cardinals out. If it turns out that all they wanted was a 4th and no one would bite, then I'd agree that the league didn't think much of Rosen. But it seems likely to me that the Cardinals wanted to recoup one of the 3 draft picks they spent to move up and they had nothing to bargain with.
“Worthless” - you just can’t stop trying to put words into my mouth in an attempt to win the argument, can you? Again, I never said that. Never.

And I laugh my ass off at “I’m sure he’s be drafted” - sure if teams hadn’t been able to evaluate him last year, but they were able to. And as a result they don’t value him as a first rounder. Because NO ONE WAS WILLING TO TRADE A FIRST ROUND PICK TO ENSURE THEY GOT HIM. Every team in the nfl can still trade a 2nd for him. Thus if the skins or giants or raiders etc. thought he was worth a 1st they would have traded the cardinals a 1st to avoid someone else trading for him tomorrow. Man that’s just simple logic. But no team did so. Instead of using their picks to trade for Rosen the giants and skins thought they were getting better players in drafting jones and Haskins (if all the cards were asking for was a 1st).

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
If you had a choice:

1. Quarterback you like for 5 years

2. Quarterback you like more for 4 years (and in giants case on a cheaper contract)

Which would you choose? Given the importance of the qb position I am always choosing the one I like more. Always. Not sometimes. Always. The position is just too important to settle for less just bc of one additional year of control. That’s ridiculous. If they have them graded the same, or just a sliver of difference, then okay. But for a qb? No way I go with the dude I think is the lesser talent.
Just because you don't agree doesn't mean it's ridiculous. A team drafting a player with it's own pick is going to value that player differently. They get more control on the contract, that player is "theirs" rather than a FA and teams don't generally match or spend more than where a player was drafted.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Those aren't facts because you don't know that the Cardinals would have accepted that trade or what they were asking. A 1st round pick for a college prospect is different than trading for someone that you know you can likely get cheaper later.
Nit if you want to ensure you get him.

Just saying it over and over again doesn’t make it true.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know. I'd say that Rosen's first round grade was reasonable so IMO, it's just that the Cardinals are asking way too much from teams that know they don't have to deal.
Maybe the guy just is what he is...why conflate it?
Wasted pick. Move on. Tommorow is a new day.

sr7706

Registered
Reaction score
How much is a backup QB worth in a trade on draft day?

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
“Worthless” - you just can’t stop trying to put words into my mouth in an attempt to win the argument, can you? Again, I never said that. Never.

And I laugh my ass off at “I’m sure he’s be drafted” - sure if teams hadn’t been able to evaluate him last year, but they were able to. And as a result they don’t value him as a first rounder. Because NO ONE WAS WILLING TO TRADE A FIRST ROUND PICK TO ENSURE THEY GOT HIM. Every team in the nfl can still trade a 2nd for him. Thus if the skins or giants or raiders etc. thought he was worth a 1st they would have traded the cardinals a 1st to avoid someone else trading for him tomorrow. Man that’s just simple logic. But no team did so. Instead of using their picks to trade for Rosen the giants and skins thought they were getting better players in drafting jones and Haskins (if all the cards were asking for was a 1st).
Actually, I didn't quote you or say that's what you said so, no, I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth.

This isn't a Madden video game and real teams don't simply assign a value and trade away draft capital in a situation like this. Other teams are NOT going to spend a first round pick on a guy that won't cost that much to get. It has nothing to do with what his "grade" might be in a vacuum because that doesn't exist. Teams spend more on prospects than they do on free agents in most cases. An established, Super Bowl MVP only garnered a 4th so there's no way in Hades that Rosen was going to go for a 1st. That doesn't mean that the NFL thinks that all the QB's taken in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds are better than Flacco.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
What? If Rosen was valuable he would have been the pick before Jones or Haskins. Simple man

if you think so good for you.i disagree.Giants and skins didn`t want to give up the picks plus they now have extra year control.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Actually, I didn't quote you or say that's what you said so, no, I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth.

This isn't a Madden video game and real teams don't simply assign a value and trade away draft capital in a situation like this. Other teams are NOT going to spend a first round pick on a guy that won't cost that much to get. It has nothing to do with what his "grade" might be in a vacuum because that doesn't exist. Teams spend more on prospects than they do on free agents in most cases. An established, Super Bowl MVP only garnered a 4th so there's no way in Hades that Rosen was going to go for a 1st. That doesn't mean that the NFL thinks that all the QB's taken in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds are better than Flacco.
Forget it. Your logic is so faulty it’s just not worth it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
if you think so good for you.i disagree.Giants and skins didn`t want to give up the picks plus they now have extra year control.
But it’s not “giving up picks”. It would have been:

Trading jones at 5 years for more $ for Rosen at 4 years and less $. That’s what the trade would have been for the giants. They didn’t do the deal. Does that extra year make a difference? Sure. Enough of a difference to take what they think is a lesser talent at QB? Cmon.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, Drew Brees was what he was after 13 starts too, wouldn't you say?
He was in relation to what the cards gave up for him... Oops. My point being, if he was better than Jones or Haskins he would have been the pick at those spots. No? It is the QB spot after all ..

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That...well, doesn't make sense to me. But to each their own man.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Forget it. Your logic is so faulty it’s just not worth it.
Says the one who's making illogical statements. Your premise is flawed and not realistic. It is not how real NFL teams operate. To draft a college prospect QB a team will spend a 1st round pick. To sign a veteran FA QB in Rosen's situation where the Cardinals have misplayed the situation, other NFL teams will NOT give up a 1st.

Look at the history of the league if you'd like confirmation. Concluding that a team would trade a 1st round pick to a team that has no leverage is what's illogical.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Well - let’s see who outplays who - if we can’t get what we think he’s worth - then keep him - if josh don’t outplay Haskins then we just stack the wrongs in a pile and poop on it.

I really don’t think Josh Rosen is scared to compete with Kyler Murray - May the best man start.

Keims NFLN interview said just that - and mentioned attrition - because players get hurt - like Rosen was the reason we could take a risk on Murray - if he gets hurt we still have a QB

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well - let’s see who outplays who - if we can’t get what we think he’s worth - then keep him - if josh don’t outplay Haskins then we just stack the wrongs in a pile and poop on it.

I really don’t think Josh Rosen is scared to compete with Kyler Murray - May the best man start.

Keims NFLN interview said just that - and mentioned attrition - because players get hurt - like Rosen was the reason we could take a risk on Murray - if he gets hurt we still have a QB

I say keep Rosen, screw the other teams who may have wanted him but are trying to force us to give him up for pennies.

I know it may be awkward at first in the quarterback room but these guys are professionals. Honestly the pros may outweigh the cons:

-It will create better competition throughout camp
-It will give us valuable depth at the most important position (the only reason the Eagles won the Super Bowl was because they had Wentz & Foles)
-Rosen’s value will likely go up in the case of injury on another team

Keim should throw his middle finger up to the teams who have thrown up their middle finger to him by not giving up a first (which Josh is totally worth, especially in light of how much a team will have to pay for him! Oh and he already had a year of experience under his belt)

Keep him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose