This is why they don't like lithium batteries on planes

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happened at work today. It's a Dell, the battery of course is not Dell but I have no idea who it was didn't want to get that close to look. The guy said it was plugged in too so not running off the battery. I guess people heard a loud sound and a "whoosh" and then it started smoking which was presumably when it melted that hole.

Set up fans and then used the HVAC controls to open the outside air dampers 90% and crank up the return air fans. Took about 90 minutes to where the smell was mostly gone.

My GF is flying back today from Philippines and another friend is flying out tonight to the Philippines on a different airline. Hers just told her they are limiting "smart bags" for this very reason, I guess concerns over batteries heating up. Can't imagine how bad this would have been on a plane, it didn't catch on fire but as hot as it clearly got it might have caught something on fire and the smell was awful, in a plane I have no idea what they can do?

You must be registered for see images attach

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happened at work today. It's a Dell, the battery of course is not Dell but I have no idea who it was didn't want to get that close to look. The guy said it was plugged in too so not running off the battery. I guess people heard a loud sound and a "whoosh" and then it started smoking which was presumably when it melted that hole.

Set up fans and then used the HVAC controls to open the outside air dampers 90% and crank up the return air fans. Took about 90 minutes to where the smell was mostly gone.

My GF is flying back today from Philippines and another friend is flying out tonight to the Philippines on a different airline. Hers just told her they are limiting "smart bags" for this very reason, I guess concerns over batteries heating up. Can't imagine how bad this would have been on a plane, it didn't catch on fire but as hot as it clearly got it might have caught something on fire and the smell was awful, in a plane I have no idea what they can do?

You must be registered for see images attach

:shocker:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA