Who will be the Suns next head coach?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reports are that Monty Williams is the Suns primary target.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shams Charania says Portland assistant David Vanterpool is also someone the Suns are interested in interviewing.

Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania

First two coaches whom the Phoenix Suns will request permission to interview for head coach opening: Philadelphia assistant Monty Williams and Portland assistant David Vanterpool, league sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium.

6:22 AM - 23 Apr 2019

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Supposedly Gambo says Kidd is in the mix, too.

If they are going to do that they should probably interview Joe Prunty for the position as well.

Prunty may have been a largely responsible for the Suns defense when they beat the Bucks and Warriors.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some speculation involved but interesting nevertheless.

Evan Sidery‏ @esidery

Evan Sidery Retweeted Adrian Wojnarowski

The Suns have gotten in ahead of the Lakers before they could conduct their second interview. With the connections already in Phoenix, wouldn’t surprise me if this gets done quickly.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If they are going to do that they should probably interview Joe Prunty for the position as well.

Prunty may have been a largely responsible for the Suns defense when they beat the Bucks and Warriors.

Given the report about the players sering Prunty more as the leader this year than Igor, Prunty was also largely responsible for the underachieving, the underperforming and the lack of development, as well as the overall lousy results. No thanks.

That being said, a HELL NO to Kidd.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This may be a minority opinion, but I'm happy Corliss Williamson is gone. As a big man coach, he stunk. Ayton should have shown more improvement over the season. Holmes pretty much was good out the gate, so I can't attribute his play to Williamson. And Bender? Well...

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kidd would be the absolute worst possible outcome.

I can't stand that guy, and I don't think he can coach either. I don't think I can continue to follow the team with Sarver and Kidd in charge, that is too much to overlook.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who ever the next hire is, they'll be fired by this time next year.

This is beyond pathetic.

It won't happen. Sarver has used up his technical fouls and will be ejected. :D

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This may be a minority opinion, but I'm happy Corliss Williamson is gone. As a big man coach, he stunk. Ayton should have shown more improvement over the season. Holmes pretty much was good out the gate, so I can't attribute his play to Williamson. And Bender? Well...

Agreed 100%. Then again, while he played with a lot of intensity, Corliss Williamson wasn't ever known as being intelligent.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kidd would be the absolute worst possible outcome.

I can't stand that guy, and I don't think he can coach either. I don't think I can continue to follow the team with Sarver and Kidd in charge, that is too much to overlook.

He communicates every bit as poorly as Igor, in fact even worse, and English is his first language.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Jason Kidd may be the one topic that can bring this whole board together. I can't imagine hiring him would make anyone here happy.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Jason Kidd may be the one topic that can bring this whole board together. I can't imagine hiring him would make anyone here happy.

i reserve the right to stand alone in support of him becoming the next coach of the Phoenix Suns

just Kidding!
if he's in, i'm out

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I am not, nor have I ever been, a racist, for reasons that I won't go into.

But isn't it realistic to think that a Coach to lead an NBA team made up primarily of African Americans
would best led by the same, particularly with the experience of having played in the NBA?

IF, and that is a big IF, he has most of the other qualifications to be in charge. Which Jason Kidd, for
example, does not.

I like what I read about Monty Williams.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i am not racist because fear of the pigment of a person's skin is irrational

to assume a team of one pigment would prefer a coach of the same pigment is to assume they are racist

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Who ever the next hire is, they'll be fired by this time next year.

This is beyond pathetic.

Yes, but at least the posters who wanted them fired first or most will be able to initiate reprisals. There’s always a silver lining on a message board.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
it is illogical to believe Sarver would embarrass himself further by firing yet another coach next season
actually, it is more likely the next hire gets a free pass next season, even if he doesn't deserve it

i don't even know who the coach is but i'll predict now that he/she gets a second season.
and i'll gloat about being right about that too

Last edited: