Kyler Murray versus Alabama Orange Bowl Game

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I watched the video on the Kyler Murray versus Alabama Orange Bowl game on YouTube. It’s about 20 minutes long and basically shows almost all of the snaps he took. I felt this might be a good judge on how he did against a top rated defense. A couple of things first to mention:
1. The Oklahoma defense gave up a lot of points and really put him in a bad playing from behind position and 2. His best receiver, Hollywood Brown was playing hurt and contributed nothing. It was all on Murray.

My observation is that Kyler Murray is one hell of a player. He is not perfect and did make some bad throws but never quit and tried his best to get OK back in the game. He really can move quickly in and out of the pocket. He can make all the throws and gets the ball out very fast. He can take a hit and knows how to slide to avoid big hits. His running skills make him a very dangerous player. His size did not appear to be an issue.

The announcers loved his play. This guy is special. He can be a difference maker for the Cards. Again, this is just my opinion and I’m sure others can watch this and have different observations.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I watched the video on the Kyler Murray versus Alabama Orange Bowl game on YouTube. It’s about 20 minutes long and basically shows almost all of the snaps he took. I felt this might be a good judge on how he did against a top rated defense. A couple of things first to mention:
1. The Oklahoma defense gave up a lot of points and really put him in a bad playing from behind position and 2. His best receiver, Hollywood Brown was playing hurt and contributed nothing. It was all on Murray.

My observation is that Kyler Murray is one hell of a player. He is not perfect and did make some bad throws but never quit and tried his best to get OK back in the game. He really can move quickly in and out of the pocket. He can make all the throws and gets the ball out very fast. He can take a hit and knows how to slide to avoid big hits. His running skills make him a very dangerous player. His size did not appear to be an issue.

The announcers loved his play. This guy is special. He can be a difference maker for the Cards. Again, this is just my opinion and I’m sure others can watch this and have different observations.

It was his worst game, but you see legit NFL throws in this game. One of his TDs to Lamb was a thread the needle type that only good QBs can make.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Let's just hope they get something good for Rosen, if it does come to pass. We can win with either guy if the team is right around him.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thank God someone created another thread so they could discuss their personal observations about Kyler Murray. And they didn’t link to the video they’re discussing.

Sorry but I thought a young guy like you would know how to do that. Here it is (I hope):
I'm 76 and lucky to know how to turn on my computer. :D

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
I still don't know why people point to this game and say he played well against a good defense. I saw a bunch of high throws into coverage, feeling the pressure and throwing off his back foot. Draft him as a RB maybe based on this game. The long pass was nice, but other than that didn't see much.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I still don't know why people point to this game and say he played well against a good defense. I saw a bunch of high throws into coverage, feeling the pressure and throwing off his back foot. Draft him as a RB maybe based on this game. The long pass was nice, but other than that didn't see much.

Murray intrigues me as a 'gadget' player like Antwaan Randle-El of the Steelers a few years ago. Of course, he's not going to settle for that and probably shouldn't. Ironically they are both about the same size, 5'10" and 185-190 pounds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antwaan_Randle_El

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Right, and he was a late 2nd round pick. Again, if the staff has given up on Rosen I'd much rather have Haskins.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thank God someone created another thread so they could discuss their personal observations about Kyler Murray. And they didn’t link to the video they’re discussing.
Yet you took the time to respond. Nobody forced you to click on the thread. Sorry, just think it's silly to mention things for the sake of mentioning them. We can all see its a new thread.
:raccoon::cheers:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol antwan Randle-El
Is there any reason to make such of silly comparison?
Murray is a pure thrower, has timing, quick delivery, accuracy, anticipation

There is nothing u can do if u are lebeled a short size/dual treat qb

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol antwan Randle-El
Is there area reason to make such if silly comparison
Murray is a pure thrower, has timing, quick delivery, accuracy, anticipation
There is nothing u can do if u are lebeled a short size/dual treat qb
Oh..I thought he was trying to be funny. :)

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Obviously he meant RB/WR who can throw the ball alot on trick plays. Better than Randle-El of course, but not as a QB. At least IMO

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Maybe because he had over 400 yards of total offense? Passed for 308 and had over 100 yards rushing? He accounted for 89% of Oklahoma's total yards in the game.

The dude was balling all game long.

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
People keep bringing up Murray's stats in the Orange Bowl against Bama , and posting ugly looking numbers after he led his team to 12 and 1 to get there . Well I have a set of numbers they should take a look at . These are the numbers of a NFL QB in an AFC Championship Game .
27 - of - 56 passing -------- 1 td ---- 2 ints. ---- a QB rating of 56.4 . Those are The GOATS numbers from the 2015 season playoffs , as I watched that game I saw the potent Denver D. lay waste to the 10 players around the GOAT . I saw the same thing when I watched Bama -- Sooners in the Orange Bowl . The potent Bama D laid waste to the 10 players around K Murray . I'm a Kyler Murray fan , I believe he will star in the NFL and I want it to be in A Cardinal uniform , nothing against Rosen , I just think Murray is a better fit for Coach Double K , I will be happy if Kyler Murray is our pick at #1 !

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
Meh - 51.4% completion rate and two dropped interceptions isn't 'balling'. And I like the kid, but you better get ready to accept a drop-off from OU to the NFL.
One thing I'd like to point out is that Murray has to be a difficult player to game plan against. But in the game against Bama they had a month for Saban to game plan against him. Teams in the NFL won't have that luxury. Just like letting Belicheck have an extra week to prepare in the Super Bowl it could have given Bama an advantage other opponents might not have in an NFL regular season.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
az jam, you're only 76 and are having trouble turning on your computer. Wait until you turn 80, you'll have trouble just finding your computer. And I live in an apartment.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Again, I will defer to the coaching staff on how much better Murray would be vs Rosen in KK's offense.

Without that inside information, it seems like KK can develop Rosen just like he did all the other QB's in his system and we can get a solid player at #1.

That being said (based on this thread)...what I like about Murray:
  • He is a winner
  • Seems like a gamer (ala Mayfield, Watson, etc)
  • Reminds me of Russell Wilson
Would I trade Rosen straight up for Murray? Probably
Would I take Murray at #1 if we didn't have Rosen? Probably

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I made the same observations, AZ, and it was this game alone that finally made me became okay with drafting Murray, though I would still prefer someone else.

Alabama’s defense was easily the only really good defense Oklahoma played against, and Saban even has extended time to prepare for Murray. I would also say that Murray was bad in the first half, and he was maybe the most responsible of all that their offense couldn’t do anything, so that Alabama basically won the game before halftime.

However, Murray came out in the second half and fought the best he had learned, and going into the fourth quarter they were only down 11. They even won the second half. And he made some really good throws and decisions in the process.

At one point, Quinnen Williams had a free lane to Murray, and he took kind of a cheap shot at him, and literally buried him. Taking a free shot from Williams was basically the worst thing there could happen to quarterback last season, but Murray got up and kept fighting.

I really wish he had played in the SEC against quality defenses every week, because that would have shown if he was indeed worthy of being the #1 pick.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
az jam, you're only 76 and are having trouble turning on your computer. Wait until you turn 80, you'll have trouble just finding your computer. And I live in an apartment.
That is a good one Garthshot! I was trying to have some fun with K9 after being criticized for not having a link. So I checked the dictionary to find out what was a link? :D

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I made the same observations, AZ, and it was this game alone that finally made me became okay with drafting Murray, though I would still prefer someone else.

Alabama’s defense was easily the only really good defense Oklahoma played against, and Saban even has extended time to prepare for Murray. I would also say that Murray was bad in the first half, and he was maybe the most responsible of all that their offense couldn’t do anything, so that Alabama basically won the game before halftime.

However, Murray came out in the second half and fought the best he had learned, and going into the fourth quarter they were only down 11. They even won the second half. And he made some really good throws and decisions in the process.

At one point, Quinnen Williams had a free lane to Murray, and he took kind of a cheap shot at him, and literally buried him. Taking a free shot from Williams was basically the worst thing there could happen to quarterback last season, but Murray got up and kept fighting.

I really wish he had played in the SEC against quality defenses every week, because that would have shown if he was indeed worthy of being the #1 pick.

Good analysis Gandhi. The debates on this site on him have been interesting but in many cases not very objective but too emotional. I do enjoy your posts as you try to be objective which is easier said than done. I do like Josh Rosen but feel the Cards should take Murray and trade Josh. But I can live with whatever direction they take.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
This game man..... it's amazing how many forget what happened just over 100 short days ago.

3 drives. That's all it took for Oklahoma to be down 28 to nothing.

Drive 1: Kyler gets a 3yd run and then is sacked twice.
Drive 2: Kyler gets 8 on a run. RB loses 5 yds on a handoff, & Marquise Brown drops 2 passes. (He was hurt as we all know now).
Drive 3: Kyler 18yd completion. Then a 9yd RB run. then a sack. Down 21 already, a turnover on downs as the RB literally drops two straight 5 yard passes on 3rd & 4th down.

Drive 4: TD. 4 plays. 75 yards.
Drive 5: FG. 10 plays.

Does that look like Kyler playing like crap? Alabama had 318 yards of offense at the half. Kyler was 6-13 with 122 yards passing, 46 rushing, and 1 TD at the half. Had completions to 6 different recievers in the game, while Hollywood Brown had zero catches.

Holy smokes man. I get it..... some people want Kyler, others don't want him. But he was not the reason they lost that game. He was also not the reason they had a bad first half.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/gametracker/recap/NCAAF_20181229_OKLA@BAMA/
The high-scoring Sooners reached the semifinal despite a porous defense that was no match for Alabama's diverse attack, and the defending champion Crimson Tide led 28-0 after only 17 minutes.

Murray was sacked twice before he threw a pass, and his first completion came with his team already down 21-0.

''Our offense really controlled the tempo of the game,'' Saban said. ''The only time we really got stopped in the game is when we stopped ourselves.''

I am so tired of perception..... memory....... and overall poor takes getting in the way of actual results, stats, and TAPE.

Look at the tape people.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Drive 1: Kyler gets a 3yd run and then is sacked twice.
Drive 2: Kyler gets 8 on a run. RB loses 5 yds on a handoff, & Marquise Brown drops 2 passes. (He was hurt as we all know now).
Drive 3: Kyler 18yd completion. Then a 9yd RB run. then a sack. Down 21 already, a turnover on downs as the RB literally drops two straight 5 yard passes on 3rd & 4th down.

That sounds like every drive Rosen was experiencing last year. Now add poor field position, penalties, inferior coaching, horrible OL, and mediocre WR's.

Oh, and the fact NFL defenses didn't go into a prevent in the first QTR.

I will give you that Murray played well vs Alabama prevent defense. I don't know how that translates to the NFL though.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This.