The Value of a Murray Trade

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
One of the things most alleged draft gurus don’t get right is the factors in considering a trade. I see theorized trades, for example, that have the Raiders surrendering 2 first round draft picks to get Murray. Don’t believe it. However if the Cards decide they aren’t going to take Murray they should consider how a downward move would impact their choices. In the case of the Raiders once the Cards decide against Murray going to 4 is not likely very important. Both the Niners & Jets are focused on edge rushers. They are unlikely to trade down because the drop off after Bosa & Allen is significant. The Niners definitely won’t move. If for some reason the Jets trade out and their partner took Williams the Cards would still do great with Allen. Imagine the pass rush. However it’s more likely the new selector would be looking for a QB, so Williams would be the best choice which I said long ago.

So what would the Cards need in return? For my money I’d be happy with the Raiders second, pick 35. This year’s pool is so deep that’s as good as a typical late first. The Cards would be getting their defensive force and they could get a fine WR at 35.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not see any team moving up to #1 to draft Murray or any other player. I view this year's draft crop of QBs not one in which teams are desperate enough to spend picks for one of them. I also do not believe anyone trades up for a non qb positional player. The Cards are stuck with the #1. So what if it is a DL or ?. It is what it is.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Face it. We picked the wrong year to have the top pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bingo. Worst time to have the #1 pick since 2013.

No QB worthy of the #1 selection
Best players are defenders
No one in the Top 10 who really want or need a new QB

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Bingo. Worst time to have the #1 pick since 2013.

No QB worthy of the #1 selection
Best players are defenders
No one in the Top 10 who really want or need a new QB

No stud OT either. Just a crummy year to be #1.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm still not buying it being a bad year, we've had Bosa lauded for this pick for almost a full year until some random video with Murray came out.

In the past 20 years, there's been what, 3 trades of the #1? It's not really all that common.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Not certain there will be a trade but at least 5 teams have Murray rated the top QB by a significant margin. Call him t the Mahomes effect. There are teams that see that type of offense as the wave of the future. I fear the Cards are one of them.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still not buying it being a bad year, we've had Bosa lauded for this pick for almost a full year until some random video with Murray came out.

In the past 20 years, there's been what, 3 trades of the #1? It's not really all that common.

You have had a guy who ended two seasons with season ending surgeries including an ACL tear out of 4 years

The ACL tear is crazy. He has another one and he is done. I can't fathom how this is just being ignored in his risk

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not certain there will be a trade but at least 5 teams have Murray rated the top QB by a significant margin. Call him t the Mahomes effect. There are teams that see that type of offense as the wave of the future. I fear the Cards are one of them.

@Shane will refuse to believe this.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Charley Casserly polled 20 teams and 16 had Murray as the top QB.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
You have had a guy who ended two seasons with season ending surgeries including an ACL tear out of 4 years

The ACL tear is crazy. He has another one and he is done. I can't fathom how this is just being ignored in his risk

Partial ACL tear.Missed 1 playoff game.Happened in the final regular season game in HS.
False narrative by you.
I think his injuries will be factored in.There have been several NFL players come back from 2 ACL surgeries (casey Hampton,Thomas Davis,Domenik Hixon,RG3 just to name several) so that narrative is wrong.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I strongly disagree.
Face it. We picked the wrong year to have the top pick.

I strongly disagree. It is the perfect year. We either get the perfect QB for our experiment with new coach and system or the perfect DT staring us in the face at 1, plus the depth we need to get a top WR in the 2nd.

I think you glass is half full people are overthinking this.

ps. TG there is not a OT rated that high this year for us to go bust with.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe teams thinks it’s the wave of the future. I think SB results say otherwise :)

So 1 year for Kansas City embracing the system, where they got to the championship game and lost to the patriots dynasty proves to you it doesn't work?

Yeah ok.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Bosa is a less than thrilling #1 overall pick. He’s not a Reggie white. Not a Bruce Smith. Not a Lawrence Taylor. He’s an above average athlete with very good technique, average size and speed, who hasn’t played a ton of games and has injury concerns.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Partial ACL tear.Missed 1 playoff game.Happened in the final regular season game in HS.
False narrative by you.
I think his injuries will be factored in.There have been several NFL players come back from 2 ACL surgeries (casey Hampton,Thomas Davis,Domenik Hixon,RG3 just to name several) so that narrative is wrong.
Lol. Dismiss damage to an ACL all you want. Teams and doctors don’t. And those dudes didn’t attain their pre-injury-levels. Buyer beware.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
the same Casserly that everybody said was senile and had no credibility is now the defining voice on Murray and NFL teams? LMFAO
You think he’s incapable of asking a simple question and reporting back on yes or no? That’s a bigger LMFAO. This isn’t his opinion.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why? Would you not take even 50 or 75 percent of a Mahomes in today's NFL?

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I strongly disagree.

I strongly disagree. It is the perfect year. We either get the perfect QB for our experiment with new coach and system or the perfect DT staring us in the face at 1, plus the depth we need to get a top WR in the 2nd.

I think you glass is half empty people are overthinking this.

ps. TG there is not a OT rated that high this year for us to go bust with.
Ftfy :)

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason nobody is going to trade up to number 1 for Murray is easy to figure.
Either the Cards are going to take him or not. If they don’t take him teams can trade up to number 2 or 3 for less cost.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Bosa is a less than thrilling #1 overall pick. He’s not a Reggie white. Not a Bruce Smith. Not a Lawrence Taylor. He’s an above average athlete with very good technique, average size and speed, who hasn’t played a ton of games and has injury concerns.

Big 10 defensive player of the year as a Soph.Top rated prospect by people who played,scouted and Coached football and has been the top rated prospect for nearly a year.So I will take their word and evaluations over talking heads.The injury concern has some merit but dismissing a solid talent with Pro-Bowl or better potential is foolish and ignorant IMO.For the record Bosa has played 29 games in college..THE EXACT SAME AMOUNT AS MURRAY.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Big 10 defensive player of the year as a Soph.Top rated prospect by people who played,scouted and Coached football and has been the top rated prospect for nearly a year.So I will take their word and evaluations over talking heads.The injury concern has some merit but dismissing a solid talent with Pro-Bowl or better potential is foolish and ignorant IMO.For the record Bosa has played 29 games in college..THE EXACT SAME AMOUNT AS MURRAY.
Lol. And you bash Murray for it!!!! That’s called the height of hypocrisy!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose