2019 NBA Playoff Discussion

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It’s insane how much help the Warriors need from refs to win games.

For a team with this much talent, they can’t win games against playoff caliber teams on their own and that’s incredible.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Passing on SGA for Mikal Bridges is gonna hurt considering team needs and ceilings of both players.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For a team with this much talent, they can’t win games against playoff caliber teams on their own and that’s incredible.

Was just thinking the same thing. Easily a 10 point swing minimum this game

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Clippers 32 FTA's, Warriors 19.

the game was swinging to the Warriors up 9 when they called the 5th foul on Bogut on a clean block where the ref standign right there looking didn't call it, the ref on the whole other side of the court near halfcourt, completely screened out, called it. The Clips cut it to 8 on that sequence(missed a FT) and got it I think as close as 5 after.

I thought Iggy walked on the play where Harrell fouled him, that was a fairly big missed call but then just after that Beverley blocked Curry's shot by hitting him in the head and then shooting arm, and they didn't call it which sort of made up for the walk by Iggy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was just thinking the same thing. Easily a 10 point swing minimum this game

admittedly I'm biased but when Lou Williams can hit McKinnie in the jaw on a sweep through play and they call the foul on McKinnie I have a hard time thinking the Warriors were getting all the calls.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strange coaching by Doc Rivers today instead of putting Beverley on Durant or Curry he put him on Draymond. i assume he thought Beverley could sag off Draymond and help guard other guys but I think it had a big impact in the first half because he was so far off Draymond it was easy for Green to be the assist guy which got Klay off to a hot start. they eventually changed it up some but he went back to it in the 2ndhalf. I also think Beverley is just a much better player when he's guarding a top scorer, him on Draymond I think he's just not as intense in the game.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I feel that way about Harden. Saw this earlier about how often he's sent to the line. Last night he went 0-15 before finally hitting a shot with 7 minutes to go in the 4th. He had 10 points despite that because of FT's. He ended up scoring more but 10 points through 3 quarters isn't bad for someone who has shot 0-15.

You must be registered for see images attach

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I feel that way about Harden. Saw this earlier about how often he's sent to the line. Last night he went 0-15 before finally hitting a shot with 7 minutes to go in the 4th. He had 10 points despite that because of FT's. He ended up scoring more but 10 points through 3 quarters isn't bad for someone who has shot 0-15.

Harden is bad too but it doesn’t feel as bad when watching the Rockets because nobody else on their team except him really gets those calls. Even CP3 who used to be a major flopper has stopped doing it as much either because he’s too old and doesn’t want to hurt himself flopping or because it’s not working for him as much as it used to.

It’s worse with the Warriors because like 4-5 players on their team get such obvious preferential treatment.

Draymond Green, for example, gets more leeway and respect from refs than Michael Jordan, Allen Iverson, Vince Carter etc ever did and that’s insane considering Draymond isn’t even a superstar.

I just don’t get it.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

the game was swinging to the Warriors up 9 when they called the 5th foul on Bogut on a clean block where the ref standign right there looking didn't call it, the ref on the whole other side of the court near halfcourt, completely screened out, called it. The Clips cut it to 8 on that sequence(missed a FT) and got it I think as close as 5 after.

I thought Iggy walked on the play where Harrell fouled him, that was a fairly big missed call but then just after that Beverley blocked Curry's shot by hitting him in the head and then shooting arm, and they didn't call it which sort of made up for the walk by Iggy.
Numbers don’t tell the story. Warriors got key beneficial calls at momentum changing times during the game. Every time the Clippers made some sort of run, some BS call nailed them.

What made me lose my mind was when Gallinari dunked right on top of Draymond Green’s head with Green slapping Gallinari’s wrist so hard that you can actually hear it on the broadcast and yet that was a no call. Then on the other end, Durant drives and dunks on someone and that’s a foul and-1.

Even Mike Breen said afterwards that the contact was obvious on that play. Just ridiculous.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Free Throw attempts don't tell the whole story. That won't represent key players in foul trouble or how quickly a team gets in the penalty. Shooting fouls can skew it also, especially with interior players.

I know you aren't saying that FT's tell the whole story but I don't like how they're frequently mentioned when officiating is questioned. Turnovers that included stops in play because it went out of bounds, fouls, traveling, 3 second violations, goaltending, offensive basket interference, and more should also be factored in.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Free Throw attempts don't tell the whole story. That won't represent key players in foul trouble or how quickly a team gets in the penalty. Shooting fouls can skew it also, especially with interior players.

I know you aren't saying that FT's tell the whole story but I don't like how they're frequently mentioned when officiating is questioned. Turnovers that included stops in play because it went out of bounds, fouls, traveling, 3 second violations, goaltending, offensive basket interference, and more should also be factored in.

Sure but the Clips got into the bonus first in I think all 4 quarters, for sure 3 of them. The Warriors only shot more FT's in 1 of the 4 games, the one they lost. The Clips shot 14 more FT's than the Warriors in the last game despite losing by 27 points.

Were there missed calls yes, the walk by Iggy, the foul by Draymond on a block, Durant walked before an outlet to Iggy for a dunk. Were there missed calls the other way of course, the bad call on Bogut, the play where Steph was knocked out of bounds into the front row on a missed 3, the play for Gallinari stopped in the lane, walked, then lost his balance and fell backwards and they called a foul on the Warriors

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Numbers don’t tell the story. Warriors got key beneficial calls at momentum changing times during the game. Every time the Clippers made some sort of run, some BS call nailed them.

What made me lose my mind was when Gallinari dunked right on top of Draymond Green’s head with Green slapping Gallinari’s wrist so hard that you can actually hear it on the broadcast and yet that was a no call. Then on the other end, Durant drives and dunks on someone and that’s a foul and-1.

Even Mike Breen said afterwards that the contact was obvious on that play. Just ridiculous.

It was but that was what 1 point? The foul the other end was a foul, just because they missed the foul on Draymond doesn't mean they have to miss the call on the other end. The Clips are a very good team, well coached, and they lead the NBA in FTA's, and have shot more in 3 of the 4 games in this series

one of the bigger plays of the game IMO was Beverley knocking down Curry coming off a screen, and then hitting a 3, cut the lead from 6 to 3, I think tehy got as close as 2. They showed the replay it was a pretty obvious foul on beverley, Steph sold it, they've been calling offensive fouls the entire series, Beverley drawing a ton of them, but for some reason they didn't call that one.

if it's any consolation, Draymond apparently hurt his wrist on the no call challenge of Gallinari, they interviewed him after the game and he had a black brace on it and told the interviewer he hurt it trying to block a shot.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amazing how good Kawhi is now. Out of HS he was rated behind the Wear twins, Brendan Lane, etc. The 2 best kids from that class on the West Coast turned out to be Kawhi and Derrick Williams, both being the perfect example of understanding that just because the kid has to play the 5 on his HS team doesn't mean he is an undersized 5 it just means it's what his HS team needed.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harden is bad too but it doesn’t feel as bad when watching the Rockets because nobody else on their team except him really gets those calls. Even CP3 who used to be a major flopper has stopped doing it as much either because he’s too old and doesn’t want to hurt himself flopping or because it’s not working for him as much as it used to.

It’s worse with the Warriors because like 4-5 players on their team get such obvious preferential treatment.

Draymond Green, for example, gets more leeway and respect from refs than Michael Jordan, Allen Iverson, Vince Carter etc ever did and that’s insane considering Draymond isn’t even a superstar.

I just don’t get it.

Come on he's among the league leaders in technicals every year, he's among the top 25 or so in total fouls every year and usually plays less minutes than lots of the others. THe Warriors are 28th in FTA's for the season, 22nd in fouls per game, where first is the least fouls called against, they were 2nd to Phoenix in total technical fouls called.

If you were watching the local feed(not today) and not the national one in this series you'd see how much holding happens off the ball on Durant, Klay and Steph. Allegedly they sent a video to the NBA complaining about all the fouls Beverley was getting away with and the league seems to have cracked down on it since, and Beverley has backed off because all the fouls on him were hurting his team.

They win games because they are terrific offensively and when locked in very good on defense. Note, since Cousins got hurt the last 2 complete games their defense has been significantly better.

I still think Houston wins 4-2 or 4-3, they just are a tough matchup. Bogut isn't fast enough to play with Capela on the court, they can't play Cook much because the Houston guards just score at will on him.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m rooting for OKC but their offense is garbage. The ball should always run through Westbrook George or Rozier.

Maybe Dame (hate that nickname) finally advances.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Harden does earn his FT’s more so than other guys like Curry. His fouls are more legit than the warriors bs calls. Just the way I see it. I saw the clip in the above post but I still feel that way.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imo he should be suspended for disrespecting the game with something like that. Suspension in the playoffs would curtail that crap.

This type behavior is much like flopping to draw fouls... perhaps worse.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

That's supposed to be a retroactive T and fine isn't it?

I get that they're goign to sweep the series so he's resting himself but his defense in the 3rd game against utah was hilariously bad. He got some steals yes but he was getting blown by left and right, at one point even Faried was glaring at him like dude are you even trying? He plays harder than that when he has to of course but between that stuff and the acting like that video it does get somewhat annoying.

But he's so damn good on offense it's scary. Even when he's 0-15 like game 3, they are so concerned with him that everyone else is getting open looks.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harden does earn his FT’s more so than other guys like Curry. His fouls are more legit than the warriors bs calls. Just the way I see it. I saw the clip in the above post but I still feel that way.

So in your opinion the guy who shot 287 FT's all season, in 69 games, is getting more non "legit" calls than the guy who shot 858 FT's in 78 games? So the guy averaging 4.2 free throws a game gets more calls than the guy averaging 11 free throws a game? And Steph only shoots 1 more 3 a game than Harden does. Harden is GREAT player, who has entirely designed his offensive game around trying to draw fouls, and he's so good at it he leads the NBA in FTAs, he shoots more free throws than Greek Freak does the guy who scores the most points in the paint in the NBA by a mile.

They both get calls and they both flop to draw fouls but saying Steph gets more is kind of hard to support when he shoots about 35% as many FT's as Harden does.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave