Trade down Twice!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I would be on board with that as long as we get multiple second and third round range picks.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Takes two to tango.

I'm guessing that the media doesn't think that many teams lower on the totem pole present ample motivation or resources to trade up.

This may be purely due to a faulty perception of what team needs are and who's available (making it hard to clearly see what actual trade opportunities exist).

Expect more trade scenarios to be considered once the Draft is underway.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ideally if it were possible it would have to include the Raiders . Trade down to four and additional picks and then maybe down to 6 with the giants or 8 with the lions. I would not want to go any lower than that. Hypothetically we could end up with 6 or 8,17,27, our own 32 and two more second rounders. That could fill this roster out nicely. The possibilities are endless.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Remember that there are potentially these teams looking for a QB who IMHO think would even think about trading up to #1
NYG-Eli manning picks #6 #17
Miami-Ryan Fitzpatrick #13
Washington-they have Case Keenum and Colt McCoy #15

Oakland-Derek Carr #4 #24 #27

NYG can go defense with #6 and take a chance on getting Daniel jones at #17
Miami-they can go BPA and go for a QB in RD 2-3 (Ryan Finley,Will Grier,Tyree Jackson etc)
so I think the wild cards are Gruden in Oakland and what the Redskins decide to do.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Remember that there are potentially these teams looking for a QB who IMHO think would even think about trading up to #1
NYG-Eli manning picks #6 #17
Miami-Ryan Fitzpatrick #13
Washington-they have Case Keenum and Colt McCoy #15

Oakland-Derek Carr #4 #24 #27

NYG can go defense with #6 and take a chance on getting Daniel jones at #17
Miami-they can go BPA and go for a QB in RD 2-3 (Ryan Finley,Will Grier,Tyree Jackson etc)
so I think the wild cards are Gruden in Oakland and what the Redskins decide to do.

It would really speak to Rosen’s value around the league if a team takes Daniel Jones in the teens instead of trading their pick for him. I guess it makes sense considering he was passed on by five teams that needed a franchise QB last year so he wasn’t highly regarded to begin with.

I still think Miami is tanking unless Murray/Haskins make it to their pick.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Passing on Suggs for BJohnson and CPace was so great, they should do it twice

You take big impact players, those are at the top

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Passing on Suggs for BJohnson and CPace was so great, they should do it twice

You take big impact players, those are at the top

The list of Hall of Famers and All Pros that were taken outside the top 10 picks is HUGE, I mean hundreds of names. I get what you are saying but players at the top of the draft bust either due to evaluation mistakes or injury. Trade down and get more chances to get quality players.

My belief is that 6 NFL quality players added to this team will do more that 1 possible stud and another quality player.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you are an organization like the Patriots you could get away with doing this.. they have their system in place and could really thrive with a ton of draft picks. I don't think we have that ability.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Or any place on the internet. Remote possibility but plausible.

Pat Kirwan traded down twice for the Cards in his weekly live mock draft with his partner Jim Miller. He had us trading back with the Bucs and we got Gerald McCoy and a 2nd rd pick and then traded down again with …. I forget but then we took Murray.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you are an organization like the Patriots you could get away with doing this.. they have their system in place and could really thrive with a ton of draft picks. I don't think we have that ability.

The reason they trade back and get a ton of draft picks is because they miss on as many picks as most teams. So if they have 10 picks and hit on 50% (like most teams) then they got themselves 5 good players. Most teams have 7 picks so that at most 4 good players but usually 3.

Where the Pats excel is in picking up FA's that they have SEEN play in the NFL and know how they can use that player.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The Cardinals have shown that just basic arithmetic is a challenge for them and then the thought of them attempting multiple trades which ventures them into the variable of algebra says maybe the Cards are better off not trying to be rocket scientists like the Patriots... this is not complicated for us to get a game changer, but boy could we be in for a comedy of errors if they try to get cute with this draft

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The reason they trade back and get a ton of draft picks is because they miss on as many picks as most teams. So if they have 10 picks and hit on 50% (like most teams) then they got themselves 5 good players. Most teams have 7 picks so that at most 4 good players but usually 3.

Where the Pats excel is in picking up FA's that they have SEEN play in the NFL and know how they can use that player.
Yep. They don't try to beat the competition. They just outsmart them.. it's a great strategy. It allows them to control what they can control by getting in as many bodies to camp that they like and going from there. Imo

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The patriots do 3 things.
1. They don’t overpay players on their roster. They let them walk and receive high compensatory picks.(l.e. Trent Brown)
2. They will trade for a player and give up a draft pick. The following year they will trade the player for a draft pick or let the player walk away and get a compensatory pick. ( I.e. Brandon Cooks).
3. They will trade down for extra picks.
If Golden and Buchanon excel this year we will reap the benefits.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The patriots do 3 things.
1. They don’t overpay players on their roster. They let them walk and receive high compensatory picks.(l.e. Trent Brown)
2. They will trade for a player and give up a draft pick. The following year they will trade the player for a draft pick or let the player walk away and get a compensatory pick. ( I.e. Brandon Cooks).
3. They will trade down for extra picks.
If Golden and Buchanon excel this year we will reap the benefits.

But they have one hell of a captain in Belicheck and sails in Brady to keep a leaky ship above water... as sailors drown, they just keep replacing them because one guy is just as good as the other :)