Filling the PG hole this Offseason

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't know where to put this, thought I might as well start a thread where we can all discuss filling the need at PG this offseason, however possible. Maybe keep this limited to trades and free agency because there is plenty of talk about adding Ja Morant through the draft elsewhere.

I thought it was encouraging to see this tonight, I'm all for Jrue Holiday being brought in. He'd be ideal next to Booker with how well he's stepped up his defensive game over the last couple of seasons.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Even if Jrue "isn't on the trade block", I'd make a hard sell for him. The Pels are only going backwards after this season. Davis will be gone. And we have a ton of assets to dangle in front of them.

You are 100% correct that he is ideal next to Book.

1) He is a great defender
2) He will take all the ball handling pressure off of Book.
3) He can hit the three (35% for career)
4) He's a thief on D (1.6 Stls/gm).
5) He's a veteran, something this team proved it needed by how much better it played with Johnson at the helm.
6) And probably underscored but true is that Jrue allows Book to be the Alpha something Book won't relinquish short of signing Durant this off season.

But it goes even farther than that. One could argue that Jrue's the most complete PG in the league (probably #2 behind Westbrook). Lillard, Young and Kyrie aren't fond of Defense and Simmons can't shoot. Jrue is a very rare two way player.

This is a go get 'em moment for James Jones (Reminiscent of the weeks before the Barkley trade with Colangelo). Can he make them an offer they can't refuse and still keep the core of this team? I think so.

Go get him James.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Holiday would be my number one target. That would give the Suns the best defensive point guard in the league to go along with one of the best wing defenders in the league. If they can somehow sign Thaddeus Young after that while retaining Oubre and Holmes, they would be all set.

I am assuming Johnson, Suns' pick, Bucks' pick, Warren, and perhaps Jackson would need to go away to make all this happen, though I'd rather keep JJ for the time being. I am guessing Johnson and the picks would be involved in the Holiday trade, but it could be done with Warren, JJ, and the picks too.

Starting five:
Holiday, Booker, Oubre, Young, Ayton

Bench rotation:
Bridges, Melton, Holmes, and whoever is left after the trades. I'd like to have JJ back

Deep Bench:
Okobo, possibly Bender if he can be signed for cheap. It would also be nice to have another old point guard who can play off the ball too as an insurance policy against injuries to Holiday and Booker. Either way, that's a pretty deep team with only two questionable defenders.

Kleber might be a decent target if the Suns want to go a little younger than Young at 4. He is a better perimeter defender and shooter than Young, but not as tough in the paint.

EDIT: I am assuming that the Suns are not picking at 1.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Also, I would see what Indiana wants for Sabonis. I doubt they let him go, but I'd be willing to offer quite a bit to get him. He gives you some defense, rebounding, and scoring while being able to play both power positions. But that's a bit off topic for this thread.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I just have the thought that the Pelicans trading the brow and Holiday in the same season would almost surely plummet Pelican ticket sales. If I was a Pelicans fan, and Anthony Davis is traded for a boatload of players, and then they trade away Holiday, too, I would be pissed. If the Pelicans are really considering this, I would be trading them prior to the draft if possible in order to get a mix of vets and rookie players to try and sell the rebuild. You don't want to tell your fans two of the best players in franchise history are out the door, but just wait for future draft picks later on!

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
While Walker is still my #1 choice, I would be thrilled of the Suns somehow acquired Jrue Holiday.

Assuming we don't have the #1 pick, would Tyler Johnson, Warren, our pick this year and the Milwaukee pick be enough?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I did read that Jrue considers himself a SG and wants to play that position. That gives me pause.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While Walker is still my #1 choice, I would be thrilled of the Suns somehow acquired Jrue Holiday.

Assuming we don't have the #1 pick, would Tyler Johnson, Warren, our pick this year and the Milwaukee pick be enough?

I don't think it would be.

I think we would also have to send our own protected future first instead of the milwaukee pick. Also Melton or okobo would be part of the deal.

Personally I am hoping we get a top 2 pick instead, but if we could make this happen it would not be a bad fallback option.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I did read that Jrue considers himself a SG and wants to play that position. That gives me pause.

Yes, that, his age compared to the rest of our roster, and his willingness to play with the suns are all things that give me some pause. But he is about the best realistic option out there even so.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd be okay with a Darren Collison, Ja Morant combo assuming we landed #2.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is actually a lot of scenarios where Ja should be available to us a 3, and few even at 4 or at least a team would let us move up one spot cheap for him.

We just need a team that already has a point to get 2 or 2 and 3.

Of course there is like a 60% chance we don't get top 3 in which case I say try and get Jrue - and if not take Garland and hope he develops.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

With Booker, I don't think it would be a problem with them sharing point guard duties.

I guess I have hesitate about the Suns overspending for a point guard when I think even average point guard play would elevate the team. Of course the Suns need to nail the power forward position.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

He plays unselfish ball for someone that doesn’t want the PG label. He’s a better ball handler than Book so he should be in control but two guys capable of averaging 7-8 assists is a good thing.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Where did you read that? I don't doubt that you did but I'd like to see the context. He's played SG next to Payton this year and Rubio last year but he's slid over to guard opposing PG's quite a bit if their opponents PG is more of a threat than their SG. As a SG offensively he's free to exert more energy on defense and if that's why he'd rather play SG then I don't think it will be an issue for him to split playmaking duties with Bookers. I guess his reasoning is what is concerning, or could be, so I'd like to see what you read to get a better idea of why he thinks that way.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If not Holliday and if not Conley then the Suns need to make a hard push for Patrick Beverly.

He would bring a defensive mentality to the Suns and can still play.

Very good fit next to Booker. He’s a FA that shouldn’t cost much either.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If not Holliday and if not Conley then the Suns need to make a hard push for Patrick Beverly.

He would bring a defensive mentality to the Suns and can still play.

Very good fit next to Booker. He’s a FA that shouldn’t cost much either.
Tyler J fills that role nicely. We need to spend our money on a pf.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So perhaps Russell Westbrook may be hitting the trade market. He has the same kind of supermax deal as Wall.

Anyone interested? I'm not sure I am considering his attitude.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So perhaps Russell Westbrook may be hitting the trade market. He has the same kind of supermax deal as Wall.

Anyone interested? I'm not sure I am considering his attitude.

He couldn't co-exist with Booker, much as he couldn't co-exist with Harden. We need a solid complimentary facilitator and someone who is willing to play Robin to Booker/Ayton's Batman. Westbrook is not that guy. Neither is Kyrie. The only so-called "superstar" point guards who fit that bill are Curry (no chance at getting him), Paul (ditto), Lillard (might be a possibility, if Portland doesn't finish off OKC) and Walker. Russell would work due to his close friendship with Booker. And, of course, solid fundamental guys like Collison, Teague and Hill would work as well, as would stop-gaps like Conley and Rose (albeit I would still be wary of the injury risks).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose