OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nick Piecoro (@nickpiecoro)
4/19/19, 4:53 PM
Diamondbacks Assistant GM Amiel Sawdaye was the Red Sox scouting director when Swihart was drafted. GM Mike Hazen, AGM Jared Porter and manager Torey Lovullo also crossed paths with Swihart in Boston.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently he can play infield and outfield positions too. If true, that’s a lot of flexibility.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jack Magruder (@JackMagruder)
4/19/19, 5:07 PM
#Dbacks just acquired C Blake Swihart and international bonus pool money from Boston for minor league OF Marcus Wilson. Swihart also has played a little OF and some 1B. That’s four catchers once Avila returns from quad injury.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Another light-hitting back-up catcher? How many of those do we need?

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Joshua Inman (@RoofNPanelsOpen)
4/19/19, 6:28 PM
Swihart is Hazen’s first major bet on an unproven player, and it is hedged with international pool money. I liked Wilson, but he hasn’t yet made that jump into top-tier prospectdom that everybody expected him too, and I doubt he will at this point

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Dumb. Just dumb.

I was reallllly afraid Hazen was going to do this when the Sox put him on waivers.

Look, if the Red Sox (who can't hit their way out of a wet paper bag right now) can't use him....that should tell you something.

Newsflash: Until the day comes that ANY of our three catchers get consistent, everyday AB's, none of them will produce.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe Hazen is trying to field the very first all weak hitting catchers team in history?

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I think he has more upside than Caleb Joseph and he can be used to spell a corner outfielder or infielder too.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think he has more upside than Caleb Joseph and he can be used to spell a corner outfielder or infielder too.
Steve just said that this will allow the D-backs to go with 2 Catchers. With Swihart available as a third, but not planned there regularly.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Why would we carry four active Catchers (including Swihart who can play corner positions, as well),
in addition to Alex Avila who is on the DL, and send down a relief pitcher?

As I wrote two posts earlier, Steve predicted on the air that we'd go with two Catchers plus Swihart.

You must be registered for see images attach