Okla State coach Mike Gundy with awesome comment about Kyler Murray!

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
Really though, how much more time? It's not like Rosen got hit because he couldn't move - that pocket closed on him before any player could make something of it.

Neither Murray or Rosen are going to succeed on a team that can't establish a rhythm on offense. Murray's slight frame puts him at a much bigger risk of not being able to sustain some of that beating.

Essentially, here's my thinking - Murray gets a sprained ankle, hit behind the line on something his elite evasiveness can't get him out of, and he's going to struggle to compensate for height when he's too hurt to be mobile.
Simply not true

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
People who say Murray is too small and fragile are ignorant. He rarely took a hard hit, he's extremely elusive which pains me to say as I can't stand OU. Rosen is taller, which is true but also an immobile stick man. He's not a starting qb.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People who say Murray is too small and fragile are ignorant. He rarely took a hard hit, he's extremely elusive which pains me to say as I can't stand OU. Rosen is taller, which is true but also an immobile stick man. He's not a starting qb.

I didn't say he is too small or fragile, I said your claim is simply not true. Rosen is also not immobile. Rosen has solid pocket mobility. Not being a running quarterback doesn't make you immobile. Everything you say is overdramatic.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
He rarely took a hard hit, and the one time he did, against a guy who is also in contention for our first pick, he barely got back up.

You can't say "he's not too small" when he wasn't exposed to hits, but absolutely will be in the NFL. It's a totally different game. Patrick Peterson alone runs as fast as the guy and outweighs him by 20 lbs. Our cornerback.

Murray WILL get hit.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't say he is too small or fragile, I said your claim is simply not true. Rosen is also not immobile. Rosen has solid pocket mobility. Not being a running quarterback doesn't make you immobile. Everything you say is overdramatic.

I don't know. His pocket awareness seems ok..but he cannot evade to save his life it looked like last year. No quickness to him at all. Imo But to be fair.. he was shell shocked after all the beatings he took.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This no name coach would be the best head coach in the crappy Pac 12 by far. He's got a top 10 winning % in the country in the last 10 years

This is just crazy talk. Not saying Gundy is not a good coach, but B12 is bottom of the barrel over last several years as far as Power 5 is concerned with Pac 12 being a close second. To be impressed with a winning record in B12 AND where all of your out of conference games are borderline D2 teams isn't something to hang your hat on. It gets you ranked, but it doesn't mean he could take any Pac12 team and make them #1 in the conference. It is basically baked in to win 9 just by showing up. B12 has the legit OU resurgence and some flash in the pan from Baylor or TCU in a couple seasons when OU was doing the yo-yo from going around top 5 to unranked.

Point being he coached 13 seasons and broke top 10 AP one time. He's done well with a previously mostly unremarkable program, but he isn't no Saban, Urban, Dabo or Lincoln, not yet at least. But even if any of those coaches were talking about his play I still wouldn't GAF either because NFL ain't their line work (or in Sabans case not any more).

Edit: Misread... You said best coach in Pac12, not have the best team in Pac12. That is easier to swallow, but still a hard no for me. I would rank him higher than most but not higher than Leach, Kelly or Peterson.

Last edited:

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If true that’s pretty incredible.

But it isn't true, just Gundy making stuff up. KM took 9 sacks alone in the first 9 games. I don't know how you can take 9 sacks but only get tackled 7 times unless he is giving himself up. He finished with 18 sacks on the season.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
But it isn't true, just Gundy making stuff up. KM took 9 sacks alone in the first 9 games. I don't know how you can take 9 sacks but only get tackled 7 times unless he is giving himself up. He finished with 18 sacks on the season.

and 140 rushing attempts.So Gundy is full of crap and talking out his aSS.

thightower34

Rookie
Reaction score
Now change your QB to Rosen and think of that same scenario...
So let’s fix the offensive line because the FA’s we signed are injury prone and average like the rest of the line. We need to draft a couple of stud O linemen in the the draft or no QB will survive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You still didn't address your main concern with drafting the so called midget. What's Rosen gonna do behind a less than overwhelming line next year?

We saw what will happen to Rosen behind a porous line. This is what I imagine it will look like with Bosa on a jail break when we are playing the niners with Murray under center.
You must be registered for see images attach

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
What adds to my frustration is that people who have a lot more time to spend on football aren't even sure he's actually even better enough to warrant being picked over Rosen this year.
Well that puts them in the same category as me. I'm not sure who's better either. It ain't an exact science. People who get paid to evaluate players often get it wrong. So to my way of thinking they need to get the guy they think has the most potential to be a star at the most important position on the team.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sounds Russell Wilson esque to me.. ok ok... I'm not saying he is going to be him.. I said, esque .lol
ESPN heads were saying the same thing...Murray just never gets hit...even when he runs he knows how to slide and how to avoid the big hits in the pocket or out.
He's Wilson 2.0

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike Gundy, he of the greatest mullet on the planet, he of the greatest press conference: “Come after me, I am a man, I am 40” had a great comment about Kyler Murray. He said that they played Oklahoma the 10th game of the year and he had watched all 9 of their previous games leading up to the Oklahoma State game. In those games he saw Kyler Murray get tackled 7 times total in 9 games. The reporter asked him to clarify and he said all total with sacks, runs, etc Murray had only been tackled 7 times in 9 games.

I don’t know if that is 100% accurate, but if it is that is insane.

From the box scores I counted Murray getting tackled at least 8 times in the first two games this season. Unless he was pushed out of bounds.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
We had our chance to evaluate them when Kyler was here. We should have put both of them in an enclosed court to play dodgeball de hombre a hombre. Perfect way to test both together their mobility, strength, and accuracy all at once. That would have been perfect.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
ESPN heads were saying the same thing...Murray just never gets hit...even when he runs he knows how to slide and how to avoid the big hits in the pocket or out.
He's Wilson 2.0

That doesn't mean squat when you match up against the Suh's and Burfict's of the league who have no problem dismantling you on a late hit. I just don't see his scramble being nearly as effective in NFL against disciplined D players who will play contain and can run with him.

There was a solid analysis on Wilson at end of season and how effective his scramble was over the last couple seasons. It looks amazing in highlight reels but showed to be counter productive compared to when he stayed in the pocket. Ie: less yards, more TO, etc.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Russell Wilson is a star to be sure, but he like most needs a powerful team around him. The Seaweeds haven't done much since dismantling one of the greatest defenses of all time a few years ago. Murray coming here to be Wilson 2.0 won't dramatically change the outlook for the Cardinals until either the O Line or the defense in general becomes otherworldly.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Russell Wilson is a star to be sure, but he like most needs a powerful team around him. The Seaweeds haven't done much since dismantling one of the greatest defenses of all time a few years ago. Murray coming here to be Wilson 2.0 won't dramatically change the outlook for the Cardinals until either the O Line or the defense in general becomes otherworldly.
So you're saying Rosen is about the same or better than if we had Wilson? I would disagree.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Rosen has every tool to be as good as Wilson, given the same level of experience, and the same team and coaching around him. The Cardinals should be ashamed at what they did to him last year.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rosen has every tool to be as good as Wilson, given the same level of experience, and the same team and coaching around him. The Cardinals should be ashamed at what they did to him last year.

Except accuracy and decision making. Those don't matter though so good point

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
Every tool? :biglaugh: