To Steve Keim: Take the BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE!

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
In five years when some reporter asks why you selected player X in the 2019 draft, I don't want to hear some lame response like "It seemed like a good idea at the time." or "He really fit the offense."

Ever since the 2007 fiasco of selecting Levi Brown and passing on Adrian Peterson, we've heard over and over again the 'best player available' mantra from the Cardinals. If this franchise selects Kyler Murray and passes on Nick Bosa and Quinnen Williams, it will have all been one big lie. I've seen no draft guru who rates Murray higher than the tenth best player in this draft. It might be different if the team didn't already have a young quarterback on the roster. It might be different if the best available player wasn't either Bosa or Williams, both legitimate areas of need and among the 2 or 3 blue chip defenders available in this draft.

So please resist any entreaties from your rookie head coach or your owner to go in a different direction. Make the right call for the long term of the Arizona Cardinals and select Bosa or Williams. In five years or immediately after the pick when people ask why you made it, just respond "We picked THE BEST AVAILABLE PLAYER on our board."

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
or best athlete available?

hasaan reddick great athlete mediocre player

humphries athletic lineman average player

bucannon very athletic and phisical safety but turned into average linebacker

nkemdiche athletic freak 300 lb 4.87 40 yards dash 35inch vertical leap 116 inch long jump

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am most looking forward to round 3 and on, following it on the NFL draft tracker, waiting in excitement for our pick, then it comes in and... the player has no hyperlink :(

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
guys . we have Chandler Jones who leads the NFL in sacks last 3 years or is darn close and he hasnt gotten us wins. The QB is the key. If he is anything like Russell Wilson which I believe he could be better . you take him. The 49ers had a great defense during Warner's years here and they couldn't win...Warner made us legit. Carson Palmer made us legit. You have to take Murray and see. Bosa doesnt make us 5 wins better. If Murray is the real deal. He could make us 5-7 wins better

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
guys . we have Chandler Jones who leads the NFL in sacks last 3 years or is darn close and he hasnt gotten us wins. The QB is the key. If he is anything like Russell Wilson which I believe he could be better . you take him. The 49ers had a great defense during Warner's years here and they couldn't win...Warner made us legit. Carson Palmer made us legit. You have to take Murray and see. Bosa doesnt make us 5 wins better. If Murray is the real deal. He could make us 5-7 wins better
But... what about his height!? He's like an inch shorter than Russell. Good luck with that! Pass.

:mrgreen:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
What teams do more than anything else, is they draft for best player at a position of need, at least early in the draft teams do.

If a team continually drafts BPA, there will be massive roster imbalances at times.

The Cardinals drafting Levi Brown is an example of this; the Cardinals had a need for a LT so they took the next best guy on their board after Joe Thomas. It was obviously a mistake, but the reason for the mistake is a common one. The Cardinals continue to make one crucial mistake, over and over, and that is to waste draft capital. The Cardinals have had the least amount of draft picks over the Keim regime. The historical average for any pick becoming a starter is 15%, so getting more chances to find a starter is the best strategy.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well of course its more complicated than youre making it. If you dont have a QB then you dont win, period. If they dont believe they have a QB then have to take advantage of only #1 pick theyve ever had.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It's all about the QB and the QB which is not only good but fits the team. Maybe Murray is not special on any other franchise but would be in the right place with Kingsbury. It's all about the fit

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's all about the QB and the QB which is not only good but fits the team. Maybe Murray is not special on any other franchise but would be in the right place with Kingsbury. It's all about the fit
What happened my friend
Did u change your mind regarding Murray being our first round pick?
Dont change your wagon this time, just 9 days, can u resist?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
What happened my friend
Did u change your mind regarding Murray being our first round pick?
Dont change your wagon this time, just 9 days, can u resist?

I'm in a fabricated happy place. I still want Rosen but have allowed the blind hope of Murray to also permeate my psyche. I will go into this draft prepared by the ole additive "see no evil, hear no evil". I even have a Mighty Mouse avatar in acceptance to jinx the selection of Murray because the Cardinals never do what I want... regardless, with a few beers I will be a happy camper during the draft and will accept what may come my way lol

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cards have a QB.Now use this defense-heavy draft to upgrade the defense.Be smart .Just say no to overhyped short QBs.
Call him short all you want.. but to call him overhyped is pure haterade. Imo. Considering Bosa wasn't on the field his entire junior season I would consider him to be overhyped. Also, defense heavy will mean plenty of opportunities in later rounds. You have to get a potential game changer at 1. Even if it means more risk.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I am afraid that if the Cards do decide on Murray that they will pass on some very good defensive talent early and draft more offensive guys instead of filling defense areas of need.It would be typical for Cards to go offense in a heavy defense talent draft.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Totally_Red, totally agree. Tyler will go #1. We're on the way back. Now the question is, can Josh get us a decent pick in a trade?

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Call him short all you want.. but to call him overhyped is pure haterade. Imo. Considering Bosa wasn't on the field his entire senior season I would consider him to be overhyped. Also, defense heavy will mean plenty of opportunities in later rounds. You have to get a potential game changer at 1. Even if it means more risk.

Bosa overhyped?.He was big 10 defensive lineman of the year as a SOPHMORE.He is the consensus Number one prospect by nearly every respected scouting service.Overhyped fits Murray to a t.Played with 4 OLINE guys protecting him,several other offensive players will likely be drafted and played in a lousy defensive conference.And he is short and how many short QBs have been successful in the NFL?
You call it haterade..I can caLL it fact and reality.I think taking a risk on Murray I beyond foolish.That's my view.If he ends up being the pick then it is what it is.KK will have a short unhappy tenure as HC IMO.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I am afraid that if the Cards do decide on Murray that they will pass on some very good defensive talent early and draft more offensive guys instead of filling defense areas of need.It would be typical for Cards to go offense in a heavy defense talent draft.

See I look at the Cardinals defense as being pretty good already. The great thing about all of the defensive talent is that it will push down good receivers and OL to the 2nd and 3rd round.

The Cardinals should be able to get after the QB with Jones, Suggs, Peters, and Philon.

PP21, Alford, Brock, Baker, and Swearinger is a good secondary.

Reddick played better last year and if Hicks stays healthy, the ILB are athletic

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bosa overhyped?.He was big 10 defensive lineman of the year as a SOPHMORE.He is the consensus Number one prospect by nearly every respected scouting service.Overhyped fits Murray to a t.Played with 4 OLINE guys protecting him,several other offensive players will likely be drafted and played in a lousy defensive conference.And he is short and how many short QBs have been successful in the NFL?
You call it haterade..I can caLL it fact and reality.I think taking a risk on Murray I beyond foolish.That's my view.If he ends up being the pick then it is what it is.KK will have a short unhappy tenure as HC IMO.
Would you rather your new head coach have a Qb he loves or likes? Honest question.

So Bosa had one good season.. weird...sounds alot like someone else we are talking about .lol

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
See I look at the Cardinals defense as being pretty good already. The great thing about all of the defensive talent is that it will push down good receivers and OL to the 2nd and 3rd round.

The Cardinals should be able to get after the QB with Jones, Suggs, Peters, and Philon.

PP21, Alford, Brock, Baker, and Swearinger is a good secondary.

Reddick played better last year and if Hicks stays healthy, the ILB are athletic

Suggs is not a full time player anymore,Reddick..blah,Peters is okay but he is 31 years old,.I see a real lack of depth/rotation/talent after peters and Philon.
Secondary has castoffs (Brock,Alford,Swearinger).Not bad player but nothing to get warm and fuzzy about.
Nothing wrong with upgrading WR..decent quality guys are available and almost anybody would be a upgrade over last season.I thinlk OLINE is probably finished with the FA signings.21OLINEmen are on the roster now.So I see defense as the bigger need and WR is upgraded.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Would you rather your new head coach have a Qb he loves or likes? Honest question.

So Bosa had one good season.. weird...sounds alot like someone else we are talking about .lol

If KK didn`t think He can work with Rosen then he is in the wrong place IMO.How do you know KK doesn`t think o r like Rosen for his QB?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Suggs is not a full time player anymore,Reddick..blah,Peters is okay but he is 31 years old,.I see a real lack of depth/rotation/talent after peters and Philon.
Secondary has castoffs (Brock,Alford,Swearinger).Not bad player but nothing to get warm and fuzzy about.
Nothing wrong with upgrading WR..decent quality guys are available and almost anybody would be a upgrade over last season.I thinlk OLINE is probably finished with the FA signings.21OLINEmen are on the roster now.So I see defense as the bigger need and WR is upgraded.

Suggs played the majority of Ravens' snaps last year. He is still a full time player.

Brock is a solid rotational DB. Not a starter, but a solid player. Alford had a down year last year, but he is likely the best CB playing opposite PP21 that the Cardinals have fielded since at least Cromartie. Swearinger was a team captain with the Redskins...castoff??? No he is a brash, loudmouth player who was cut because of his mouth, not his play on the field. Besides, CB/DB isn't particularly strong in this draft and I wouldn't use a high pick on one anyway.

The DL rotation is a bit of a concern, but with Peters, Philon, Gunter, Nkemdiche, there is some depth there. I think the team will use a 4th rounder and get a good rotational guy and punt on the situation..........or will draft Q Williams and make the front seven beastly.

I love Murray, but I'm ok with Williams/Bosa overall. I especially like Williams because he could make the defense really good.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Suggs played the majority of Ravens' snaps last year. He is still a full time player.

Brock is a solid rotational DB. Not a starter, but a solid player. Alford had a down year last year, but he is likely the best CB playing opposite PP21 that the Cardinals have fielded since at least Cromartie. Swearinger was a team captain with the Redskins...castoff??? No he is a brash, loudmouth player who was cut because of his mouth, not his play on the field. Besides, CB/DB isn't particularly strong in this draft and I wouldn't use a high pick on one anyway.

The DL rotation is a bit of a concern, but with Peters, Philon, Gunter, Nkemdiche, there is some depth there. I think the team will use a 4th rounder and get a good rotational guy and punt on the situation..........or will draft Q Williams and make the front seven beastly.

I love Murray, but I'm ok with Williams/Bosa overall. I especially like Williams because he could make the defense really good.

I don`t hate Murray.I don`t like the idea of using the top pick on Murray for reasons discussed many times here.I think Rosen will improve and also think Bosa will be damn good in the NFl.Q.Williams would be my second choice behind Bosa.As stated I prefer the lowest risk pick and IMO that is Bosa because of his skillset and work ethic and ability to play in several packages.Q.Williams just a little behind Bosa but I think he can fit DT/DE in various packages.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave