OT-Magic Stepping Down

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Magic, Bird, Jordan, Isiah Thomas, Jason Kidd -- all smart players on the court, failures in other NBA roles

Was Bird a failure?

Yeah, I'd take Bird as a coach or GM in a heart beat. From what I remember he only stepped back from coaching because of the time commitment, he was a REALLY successful head coach. His work navigating the Pacers has been pretty good too, they're one of the poorest franchises in the league but they've had a lot more good years than bad ones and they've never needed to tank to build a roster.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i'll take your words for it, but the years when i paid any attention to the Pacers and Knicks they were accomplishing nothing under Bird and IT, and IT, in particular was responsible for more scandal than success.

also, as i recall, Kidd had problems coaching, then some success, then more problems

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Magic, Bird, Jordan, Isiah Thomas, Jason Kidd -- all smart players on the court, failures in other NBA roles

Bird coached the Pacers to a 147-67 record over 3 years, with 1 of them being the shortened lockout year in the late 90's. He stepped down as coach to move into Indiana's front office after taking them to the NBA Finals and losing to the Lakers in his last year as coach. As an executive he's kept them competitive and drafted well for a small market team that isn't generally in the lottery. They've been viewed as one of the best run organizations over the last 2 decades or so, starting with Bird taking over coach and up until 2017 being the GM. When did Bird fail?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i'll take your words for it, but the years when i paid any attention to the Pacers and Knicks they were accomplishing nothing under Bird and IT, and IT, in particular was responsible for more scandal than success.

also, as i recall, Kidd had problems coaching, then some success, then more problems
You won’t find me defending Thomas. One of Bird's first acts when he took over the Pacer's front office was to fire Thomas and replace him with Carlisle. Thomas' tenure running the Knicks was an unmitigated disaster (which we benefited wildly from) and he managed to run the CBA into oblivion rapidly after he was given the reigns.

IMO, each situation is unique to itself. Bird was great at every level, Thomas was a disaster after his playing career. Bird was one of the most beloved players of his era, even by his rivals, Thomas was a snake who was loathed so much he was kept off the Dream Team. Some here are petitioning for Barkley as GM, personally I think he'd be historically awful... not because of what previous players of his stature have done, but because of what I know of Barkley's attention to detail and accountability. Same reason I think Majerle would be a terrible NBA coach. He's not a serious person and even at GCU he has a rep for chasing babes more than chasing recruits.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Is there any doubt this was a shot at LeBron?

Kemper

Reaction score
This isn't a surprise at all. When things get tough, I'll just be Magic. I don't need this. I think he knew he was in over his head.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Is there any doubt this was a shot at LeBron?

I'd say so. Lebron and magic has such huge ego's and personas, I cant imagine either one of them conceding to each other.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Lakers know they are in deep trouble. LeBron and Klutch are toxic.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say so. Lebron and magic has such huge ego's and personas, I cant imagine either one of them conceding to each other.

It's more than just Lebron and Magic though. Remember, Pelinka is really Kobe's guy, not Magic's. And supposedly there has been a lot of backstabbing, rumored to be from Pelinka in addition to Lebron's group. And who knows what Kobe has been involved in from the sidelines? I know he has a lot going on away from the game and this is just pure speculation on my part but I wouldn't be shocked to find out he was the power behind Pelinka's throne with plans of rushing in as the savior when Magic AND Lebron burn their bridges.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Happy to see Magic gone.

He needs to stick to owning movie theaters and shares of sports franchises and stay away from hosting talk shows or holding front office positions.

Personally, I wish the Lakers had stuck to their youth movement and not brought in LeBron.

Brian quit trying to sound smart and go back to being a Laker fan.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Lakers just need to hire Rich Paul to replace Magic and basically hand over the franchise to LeBron already. He’s already pulling the strings from behind the scene, just let him do it officially now.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lakers just need to hire Rich Paul to replace LeBron and basically hand over the franchise to LeBron already. He’s already pulling the strings from behind the scene, just let him do it officially now.
Yeah. yeah. That's the ticket!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This fits well here. The Pelicans finished their season tonight against the Warriors and Gentry was asked about Anthony Davis and he said it was most the toxic situation he's witnessed in his 3 decades in the league....

I hadn't thought of how many people were fired because of the Davis ordeal but it very well could still cost Walton and Gentry their jobs as well. It definitely cost Davis a lot in sponsorship deals because he was viewed as one of the high character stars of the league prior to this as well. That's tougher to gauge how it's effected him but it would actually be quite funny if somehow Davis stays in New Orleans and they patch things up this offseason. At this point would anyone be surprised by that? I wouldn't.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...-advice-trade-request-led-to-toxic-situation/
All bc of lebron and rich Paul. I honestly believe that lebron’s fausting rich Paul upon the league should be a part of his legacy. The part that permanently paints a black hat on him (from a league perspective - outside actions have been pretty impressive from a humanitarian perspective).

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers just need to hire Rich Paul to replace LeBron and basically hand over the franchise to LeBron already. He’s already pulling the strings from behind the scene, just let him do it officially now.

After the Davis fiasco I'm not even sure that Lebron and Rich Paul are in lockstep.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All bc of lebron and rich Paul. I honestly believe that lebron’s fausting rich Paul upon the league should be a part of his legacy. The part that permanently paints a black hat on him (from a league perspective - outside actions have been pretty impressive from a humanitarian perspective).
Look at the carnage left in the wake of Rich Paul and LeBron James.

The Cavs are in shambles.
The Bledsoe and Suns fiasco.
The horrible decisions with Nerlens Noel.
The Morris brothers are now repped by Klutch.
The JR Smith, Tristan Thompson, and Deion Waiters contracts.
AD and this mess.
The John Wall contract and the Wizards.

Lots of toxic contracts and situations.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I personally have followed Magic's career and business moves since back when he was in college. First thing I thought when I heard the news was Lebron. Magic pretty much bleeds Laker purple and gold. He only came on board when the siblings that headed up the Lakers almost tore the franchise apart. I think he will be back when Lebron leaves the scene. If Jerry Buss were alive, Lebron would be traded before he let him run Magic off.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I personally have followed Magic's career and business moves since back when he was in college. First thing I thought when I heard the news was Lebron. Magic pretty much bleeds Laker purple and gold. He only came on board when the siblings that headed up the Lakers almost tore the franchise apart. I think he will be back when Lebron leaves the scene. If Jerry Buss were alive, Lebron would be traded before he let him run Magic off.

I doubt it. If Jerry Buss were alive Magic would have never been hired to run the team because Buss would have recalled how terrible he was as a coach.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I doubt it. If Jerry Buss were alive Magic would have never been hired to run the team because Buss would have recalled how terrible he was as a coach.
The history of Magic and Dr. Buss was one of mutual admiration. It was always Dr. Buss' intention that Magic work his way up through the Lakers organization. The NBA had to weigh in on the contract Dr. Buss gave Magic, that the Celtics howled foul over because they thought the Lakers were trying to get around the cap. It was explained that Magic's contract was to lead into ownership when he retired. Magic and Dr. Buss then went public on how Magic was going into the front office at some point in the future.

That Magic was given a shot at coaching shows how Dr. Buss had faith in him. Magic himself resigned from the coaching position.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The history of Magic and Dr. Buss was one of mutual admiration. It was always Dr. Buss' intention that Magic work his way up through the Lakers organization. The NBA had to weigh in on the contract Dr. Buss gave Magic, that the Celtics howled foul over because they thought the Lakers were trying to get around the cap. It was explained that Magic's contract was to lead into ownership when he retired. Magic and Dr. Buss then went public on how Magic was going into the front office at some point in the future.

That Magic was given a shot at coaching shows how Dr. Buss had faith in him. Magic himself resigned from the coaching position.

I don't know about this but the explanation itself sounds like an obvious cap violation.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose