Watson had been given a two-week notice

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Klutch took a big hit after the Davis trade demands. The Pels proved that they will not be pushed around by Lebron and Klutch's demands, it definitely made a wave in the NBA as i'm sure other franchises took notice as well. Losing Bledsoe hurt us from a roster and reputation standpoint, I kind of actually applaud Sarver for sticking it to them although it didn't quite have an impact as much as the Pels refusal did.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Klutch took a big hit after the Davis trade demands. The Pels proved that they will not be pushed around by Lebron and Klutch's demands, it definitely made a wave in the NBA as i'm sure other franchises took notice as well. Losing Bledsoe hurt us from a roster and reputation standpoint, I kind of actually applaud Sarver for sticking it to them although it didn't quite have an impact as much as the Pels refusal did.
Klutch has because LeBron has taken a big hit. He did not make the playoffs, he is clearly in decline. He does not have the charisma of a Michael Jordan or the loving following. The sooner Klutch loses all credibility the better.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It wasn't just the Pelicans that stood up to them but also the Lakers. That Jeannie Buss almost had them deal Lebron because of the Davis stuff is big. If they had traded him that would have been a huge story, perhaps the biggest in the last decade of the NBA. It would have been on par with "The Decision" as far as the coverage it would have received. Who knows where he would have landed also. I think that was a sign that the Lakers won't be bullied like the Cavs were to accommodate Lebron and his buddies. We'll see what happens this offseason but I think there is a chance Lebron gets moved still. It probably won't happen but we'll find out after Durant lands somewhere and Davis as well.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It wasn't just the Pelicans that stood up to them but also the Lakers. That Jeannie Buss almost had them deal Lebron because of the Davis stuff is big. If they had traded him that would have been a huge story, perhaps the biggest in the last decade of the NBA. It would have been on par with "The Decision" as far as the coverage it would have received. Who knows where he would have landed also. I think that was a sign that the Lakers won't be bullied like the Cavs were to accommodate Lebron and his buddies. We'll see what happens this offseason but I think there is a chance Lebron gets moved still. It probably won't happen but we'll find out after Durant lands somewhere and Davis as well.
Can't wait until a player fires Klutch. There are a number of them that should. They have lost several players a lot of money.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can't wait until a player fires Klutch. There are a number of them that should. They have lost several players a lot of money.

I think there's a chance the Morrii do this offseason. Markieff was traded out of Washington with little noise at the deadline and signed for the minimum in OKC. Marcus might get a decent payday but Markieff will be lucky to get much more than the bi-annual exception especially with Klutch being involved. This offseason could be the true beginning of the end for them, although this season was truly the beginning but there hasn't been anything done to signify that. It's been a lot of inaction so far but this summer things will happen somewhere.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know Earl Watson was represented by Klutch Sports. It explains a lot about Watson and Bledsoe leaving.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know Earl Watson was represented by Klutch Sports. It explains a lot about Watson and Bledsoe leaving.

It's my understanding that it's against NBA rules for an agent to handle both NBA players and NBA coaches. When Watson signed, the league called them on it. The response was that he had signed with Klutch Sports, not Rich Paul, and that he would have an actual representative other than Paul. Silver bent over, as he always does, and Rich Paul continued on as the de facto agent.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's my understanding that it's against NBA rules for an agent to handle both NBA players and NBA coaches. When Watson signed, the league called them on it. The response was that he had signed with Klutch Sports, not Rich Paul, and that he would have an actual representative other than Paul. Silver bent over, as he always does, and Rich Paul continued on as the de facto agent.

This situation was almost doomed to failure.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
So we fire our coach at the start of the season before we even see the results and we fire our GM at the start of the season.

It's just so counter intuitive to a professionally run organization

Look who the owner is though. This par for the course with that idiot.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Look who the owner is though. This par for the course with that idiot.
More than idiot, Robert Sarver is an egomaniac who systematically hires underlings who lack the resume and strong personality to question it.

Sarver has shown two priorities. (1) Become a celebrity. (2) Make money.

Building a winning team for the fans is obviously not a priority, as the past decade shows us.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
More than idiot, Robert Sarver is an egomaniac who systematically hires underlings who lack the resume and strong personality to question it.

Sarver has shown two priorities. (1) Become a celebrity. (2) Make money.

Building a winning team for the fans is obviously not a priority, as the past decade shows us.

I think you're misjudging him. I agree with you that he is a terrible owner, a meddling, micromanager in way over his head, but I think you have his motivations wrong. Sarver has done very little to promote himself, IMO the celebrity angle is waaaaaaaay off. Even financially; I don't think a profit is his main priority (he certainly could have ran them cheaper over the years), but I do think that he's weary of the levels of debt the team was in when he bought them, and it was reflected in his early ownership.

IMO, his problem is that he thinks he is brilliant, he thinks he knows better than others how to do... basically everything, and he hates having people tell him "no, you're wrong", so he gravitates towards hiring yes men and inexperienced people.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you're misjudging him. I agree with you that he is a terrible owner, a meddling, micromanager in way over his head, but I think you have his motivations wrong. Sarver has done very little to promote himself, IMO the celebrity angle is waaaaaaaay off. Even financially; I don't think a profit is his main priority (he certainly could have ran them cheaper over the years), but I do think that he's weary of the levels of debt the team was in when he bought them, and it was reflected in his early ownership.

IMO, his problem is that he thinks he is brilliant, he thinks he knows better than others how to do... basically everything, and he hates having people tell him "no, you're wrong", so he gravitates towards hiring yes men and inexperienced people.
Everything you just said might be true, but it is at best speculation and pretty specific speculation. I do not know anyone anywhere who knows him who has said that Sarver always thinks he is right.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything you just said might be true, but it is at best speculation and pretty specific speculation. I do not know anyone anywhere who knows him who has said that Sarver always thinks he is right.

I agreed with most of his post although I don't buy into Sarver thinking he's always right and hires nothing but "yes men". Still, powerful people tend to believe they are right most of the time and it's not uncommon to hire underlings that typically see things the way you do.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agreed with most of his post although I don't buy into Sarver thinking he's always right and hires nothing but "yes men". Still, powerful people tend to believe they are right most of the time and it's not uncommon to hire underlings that typically see things the way you do.
I have heard Sarver in radio interviews admit to being wrong about past choices. I am just not sure if he always thinks he is right in the moment.

But also, it seems that there were rumors that Sarver wanted certain things and McD disagreed and Sarver gave in to McD only later to be proven that Sarver was right and McD wrong. I am trying to remember the specifics but can't.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can the following be true. That Sarver hasn't talked to the local media for almost two years. I haven't researched it but it doesn't seem right.

Evan Sidery‏ @esidery

Whenever the Suns reach a confirmed final resolution on their restructured front office, it will be interesting to see if we hear from Robert Sarver.

Sarver hasn't spoken to the local media since he first hired Jones and extended former GM Ryan McDonough almost two years ago.

10:22 PM - 9 Apr 2019

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
I have heard Sarver in radio interviews admit to being wrong about past choices. I am just not sure if he always thinks he is right in the moment.

But also, it seems that there were rumors that Sarver wanted certain things and McD disagreed and Sarver gave in to McD only later to be proven that Sarver was right and McD wrong. I am trying to remember the specifics but can't.

Well, good leaders listen to people and figure out that they're wrong before they go out and make multi-million dollar mistakes. Bad ones admit it afterwards and go and make other similar mistakes.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can the following be true. That Sarver hasn't talked to the local media for almost two years. I haven't researched it but it doesn't seem right.

Evan Sidery‏ @esidery

Whenever the Suns reach a confirmed final resolution on their restructured front office, it will be interesting to see if we hear from Robert Sarver.

Sarver hasn't spoken to the local media since he first hired Jones and extended former GM Ryan McDonough almost two years ago.

10:22 PM - 9 Apr 2019

That's false. He spoke to the media right after McD was fired. He was on Gambo's show for almost an hour, I believe. I might be off on how long he was on there but he most definitely was on the show.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's false. He spoke to the media right after McD was fired. He was on Gambo's show for almost an hour, I believe. I might be off on how long he was on there but he most definitely was on the show.

I thought it was suspect information.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think you're misjudging him. I agree with you that he is a terrible owner, a meddling, micromanager in way over his head, but I think you have his motivations wrong. IMO, his problem is that he thinks he is brilliant, he thinks he knows better than others how to do... basically everything, and he hates having people tell him "no, you're wrong", so he gravitates towards hiring yes men and inexperienced people.

Doesn't that fit the description of, as I mentioned, "an egomaniac who systematically hires underlings who lack the resume and strong personality to question it."

'Sounds like we're saying the same thing. Robert Sarver is past the point of being misjudged.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Doesn't that fit the description of, as I mentioned, "an egomaniac who systematically hires underlings who lack the resume and strong personality to question it."

'Sounds like we're saying the same thing. Robert Sarver is past the point of being misjudged.

In that specific aspect, yes, but you said his top priorities are being a celebrity and making money, I disagree strongly with those points. He took over a franchise swimming in debt and, while he wasn't willing to go into the luxury tax like Colangelo, the Suns have not been "cheap" on the whole, especially when they were still contenders. Financially Sarver's main problem was impatience, a lack of value for long term assets and draft picks in favor of spending heavily on middling players and vets. In short, I think Sarver is weary, and especially so when he bought the debt laden team, of opperating at a deficit, but he absolutely could have been cheaper. IMO, merely making a profit has NOT been one of the top priorities, he wants to win, he just doesn't understand how and is too impatient to follow long term plans.

And the "celebrity" part I feel is way off base. Sarver is a lousy owner in many ways but self promotion and spotlight seeking is not among them... at all.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
This is interesting. I doubt it, but it would make everything make sense. The two week notice. Bledsoe wanting out rather than continuing to renegotiate. All of it.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I thought it seemed weird the body language of the coach and players that first couple weeks. Always stories behind the scenes. I know as a player I'd be jacked to start a season, UNTIL I find out the coach is likely to be gone soon. That just sucks when you have bought into a system and a coach and you know he may be leaving, and you don't know for sure.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is interesting. I doubt it, but it would make everything make sense. The two week notice. Bledsoe wanting out rather than continuing to renegotiate. All of it.

I think it was Gambo who reported that Bledsoe had cut himself off from all communication from the organization all the way down to the players during the summer. There was no effort to renegotiate, they demanded an early extension and we declined. It was adversarial from then on which is a staple of Paul's negotiation tactics. The two week notice on severing ties clears up a lot of things and makes sense of a nonsensical situation. It never crossed my mind that we demanded he part ways with Klutch but it makes so much sense hearing it now that I'd find it difficult to believe it went any other way.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it was Gambo who reported that Bledsoe had cut himself off from all communication from the organization all the way down to the players during the summer. There was no effort to renegotiate, they demanded an early extension and we declined. It was adversarial from then on which is a staple of Paul's negotiation tactics. The two week notice on severing ties clears up a lot of things and makes sense of a nonsensical situation. It never crossed my mind that we demanded he part ways with Klutch but it makes so much sense hearing it now that I'd find it difficult to believe it went any other way.
It does make sense, I have just never heard of a team demanding a coach change agents before.