a couple of exit interviews. 4/10/19

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair Oubre said in his interview that he had issues with understanding Igor when he first got to the team. Though it does seem that he was able to adjust and it is no longer an issue.

His English isn't so broken that it can't be understood, but it could take a little bit of time for guys to adjust.

I read that same thing and I interpreted it differently than that. I took it as Oubre had trouble understanding the role that Igor wanted him to play, not he had trouble understanding him speak. I could be wrong but it was what he said after that initial statement that made me feel that way. He started talking about once he understood things really clicked for him and he was able to make more of an impact on the team. I had the initial thoughts it was language until I read that next part so it could be either one, I'm not sure, but I can see how it's taken the other way.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but I wouldn't be real upset if he got moved too. If Jackson can shoot 40% as a spot up 3 pt shooter, his defense and passing make him the superior player if he could just not play stupid.

I guess Booker is pretty good friends with Jackson, but it sounds like Warren is not close with anyone on the team. I heard yesterday how Jamal Crawford made it a project to connect with TJ, which he eventually did through conversation about music.

I remember when we acquired Elfrid Payton last season that TJ showed more personality in interviews for that first week that Payton was here then he had in his previous 3-4 years as a Sun. He seemed really excited about Payton coming on board and there was lots of talk about TJ and Payton being good friends. I don't think TJ took it negatively that Elfrid was allowed to leave in free agency but perhaps he did. He does seem to be a bit of a loner and I've always had that sort of view on him. That isn't a bad thing but it can be a bad thing in a team sport like basketball if you stay closed off to your teammates.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m glad Booker didn’t make any foolish proclaims like “I’m done with not making the playoffs. I’m serious” this time around.

Many interpreted that as him basically asking for a trade as it was obvious to anyone and everyone that the Suns are least 3-5 years away from being a playoff team in the West.

Fly by fans maybe, but no one that actually followed Booker and his comments took that as a trade request or demand IMO. And you're ignoring the context of his comment. It came during a great run during the playoffs with one exciting finish after another. And it did NOT come across as a threat at the time, quite the opposite. Plus there was the upcoming max contract negotiations. Even if he hated the Suns and Phoenix, he was not likely to leave that kind of money on the table. A small group of people did try to turn it into more than it was intended to be but there was never any support for it because it ran contrary to the evidence including Booker's own statements.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
To be fair Oubre said in his interview that he had issues with understanding Igor when he first got to the team. Though it does seem that he was able to adjust and it is no longer an issue.

His English isn't so broken that it can't be understood, but it could take a little bit of time for guys to adjust.
That in itself is a double negative and puts Igor at somewhat of a disadvantage. Especially on a team made up of so many non-veterans.

More important than Igor's level of English comprehension is his inherent passive personality. He mumbles when he talks and goes on and
on. He does not inspire.

Again, it affects young players, except for those few who have self-motivation at the NBA level and exceed despite Igor.

Which is why history shows that Igor has been predominantly a support (Assistant) Coach for almost two decades in the NBA,

Not everyone is cut out to be the guy at the top courtside. That is nothing for him to be ashamed of. Except for the team management
who put him into that position. Bad job placement.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Fly by fans maybe, but no one that actually followed Booker and his comments took that as a trade request or demand IMO. And you're ignoring the context of his comment. It came during a great run during the playoffs with one exciting finish after another. And it did NOT come across as a threat at the time, quite the opposite. Plus there was the upcoming max contract negotiations. Even if he hated the Suns and Phoenix, he was not likely to leave that kind of money on the table. A small group of people did try to turn it into more than it was intended to be but there was never any support for it because it ran contrary to the evidence including Booker's own statements.
Not true. A few posters claimed that was a threat, or if not an actual threat a few have repeatedly thrown it out there as a precursor to a demand for a trade if the suns didn’t start winning immediately. Let’s not sugarcoat their usage of this now that it’s become pretty obvious their interpretation was off base.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Someone pass this along to Igor:

You must be registered for see images attach

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not true. A few posters claimed that was a threat, or if not an actual threat a few have repeatedly thrown it out there as a precursor to a demand for a trade if the suns didn’t start winning immediately. Let’s not sugarcoat their usage of this now that it’s become pretty obvious their interpretation was off base.

It was obvious then Ouchie but yes a few posters that IMO were not paying attention, made something out of it. It grew legs as time went on, not the other way around.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That in itself is a double negative and puts Igor at somewhat of a disadvantage. Especially on a team made up of so many non-veterans.

More important than Igor's level of English comprehension is his inherent passive personality. He mumbles when he talks and goes on and
on. He does not inspire.

Again, it affects young players, except for those few who have self-motivation at the NBA level and exceed despite Igor.

Which is why history shows that Igor has been predominantly a support (Assistant) Coach for almost two decades in the NBA,

Not everyone is cut out to be the guy at the top courtside. That is nothing for him to be ashamed of. Except for the team management
who put him into that position. Bad job placement.

This. A thousand times this.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It was obvious then Ouchie but yes a few posters that IMO were not paying attention, made something out of it. It grew legs as time went on, not the other way around.
Man I don’t agree. These were really frequent posters on here. I have names but don’t see the point in calling people out on this at this point.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man I don’t agree. These were really frequent posters on here. I have names but don’t see the point in calling people out on this at this point.

Yeah I know the names too. I believe the message was clear when Booker first made his comment and that after the fact it was twisted into a warning that a trade demand would soon follow. I don't remember much traction for that interpretation until around the start of the season, Booker's comments occurred during the playoffs. Maybe I'm misremembering it, I do that more and more these days but I really don't think so.