Coach watch

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is not a thread about firing Igor.

Its about the NCAA tournament and identifying coaches that are real talents and "up and comers" like Brad Stevens was a few years ago.

Here are some I am noticing:

1. Dan Majerle. He has done a pretty good job in building a program at GCU from the ground up. He has done better than I had expected.
2. Nate Oats. While Bobby Hurley is getting attention, Buffalo has gotten better under Oats. This might be a situation where the student eventually outshines the teacher. Oats is a guy to watch to either move into a major college job (Arizona will be open soon I think) or even pro ball. I am a little biased here. I am really good friends of a family member of his.
3. Bobby Hurley. He is making ASU basketball relevant. That has happenend in well--ever.

Its a pretty provincial list, but it can start the discussion.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3. Bobby Hurley. He is making ASU basketball relevant. That has happenend in well--ever.

Its a pretty provincial list, but it can start the discussion.

Not a Ned Wulk fan? I'd say they were very relevant during much of his time at ASU and he was there for a long time. Bobby Winkles, Frank Kush and Ned Wulk - that's as strong of a big 3 in coaching as any school has had at the same time IMO.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This would be shocking if true. I don't mind the idea of keeping Kokoskov for another season but Joerger is one of the very few options I see being a clear upgrade.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This would be shocking if true. I don't mind the idea of keeping Kokoskov for another season but Joerger is one of the very few options I see being a clear upgrade.

WTF?!

He's done an amazing job with that team this year. I'd fire Koko and go after him in a heartbeat.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vlade has officially lost his mind. He must have flopped too hard and hit his head on something.

From where we sit, yeah. This makes no sense on the surface but maybe there's a buried explanation that would put this in perspective.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
From where we sit, yeah. This makes no sense on the surface but maybe there's a buried explanation that would put this in perspective.
Based on Vlade’s history as GM, the explanation probably isn’t a rational one.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Fox is not happy.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on Vlade’s history as GM, the explanation probably isn’t a rational one.

As I've said, I don't really follow the front office people around the league so I'm not sure what you're referring to. I thought he was doing a pretty good job there especially considering who he works for.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
As I've said, I don't really follow the front office people around the league so I'm not sure what you're referring to. I thought he was doing a pretty good job there especially considering who he works for.
No he really has not. He had an awful start then did a little better and now returned to being bad.

I’ve seen lot of Kings fans on their forum blaming Vlade for trading Shumpert mid season as the reason for them missing playoffs because it messed up the team chemistry and he was apparently a good part of their team. Meanwhile, Harrison Barnes has sucked badly for them.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Vlade always butted heads with Joeger, so I’m not surprised. He just got a 4 year extension, so if there was a battle for power, he won.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No he really has not. He had an awful start then did a little better and now returned to being bad.

I’ve seen lot of Kings fans on their forum blaming Vlade for trading Shumpert mid season as the reason for them missing playoffs because it messed up the team chemistry and he was apparently a good part of their team. Meanwhile, Harrison Barnes has sucked badly for them.

Barnes was a head scratcher as was trading that pick to Philly but they've made some good moves under him too and he is overseeing what looks to be a solid turnaround. If he has good reason to part ways with his Coach, I'd keep him on the plus side of the ledger but right now I'm questioning that decision.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Just read Amick reporting Sacramento interested in hiring Luke Walton.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Just read Amick reporting Sacramento interested in hiring Luke Walton.

He did indeed, but he also previously reported that Walton would prefer to come here, if the position were open...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kings just hired Walton.

Blown opportunity for the Suns.

Looks like we're going to be stuck with another year of Igor.

:barf:

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
now that the hope of them upgrading the GM position is gone
my condition for being more than a part-time fan of the Suns next season is that they get either:
* a new coach
* Zion or Morant
* a better than average point guard without losing anyone significant

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score