Dredd 3D

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dredd 3D

Release Date: September 21, 2012 (3D/2D theaters)
Studio: Lionsgate
Director: Pete Travis
Screenwriter: Alex Garland
Genre: Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
MPAA Rating: R (for strong bloody violence, language, drug use and some sexual content)

Starring: Karl Urban, Olivia Thirlby, Lena Headey

Plot Summary: The future America is an irradiated waste land. On its East Coast, running from Boston to Washington DC, lies Mega City One- a vast, violent metropolis where criminals rule the chaotic streets. The only force of order lies with the urban cops called "Judges" who possess the combined powers of judge, jury and instant executioner. Known and feared throughout the city, Dredd (Karl Urban) is the ultimate Judge, challenged with ridding the city of its latest scourge - a dangerous drug epidemic that has users of "Slo-Mo" experiencing reality at a fraction of its normal speed.

During a routine day on the job, Dredd is assigned to train and evaluate Cassandra Anderson (Olivia Thirlby), a rookie with powerful psychic abilities thanks to a genetic mutation. A heinous crime calls them to a neighborhood where fellow Judges rarely dare to venture- a 200 story vertical slum controlled by prostitute turned drug lord Ma-Ma (Lena Headey) and her ruthless clan. When they capture one of the clan's inner circle, Ma-Ma overtakes the compound's control center and wages a dirty, vicious war against the Judges that proves she will stop at nothing to protect her empire. With the body count climbing and no way out, Dredd and Anderson must confront the odds and engage in the relentless battle for their survival.

You must be registered for see images attach

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
watched a preview last night - meh

future cops vs future drug lords

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the "Judge" concoction (this one or Stallone's), but I like Karl Urban, so I'll go see it.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know what to expect going into this movie but I really enjoyed it.

There is a fair amount of violence and gore. However I thought the overall look of the film was fantastic. It kind of reminded me of "The Dark Knight" with regards to the look and feel, in that it had a much more realistic feel to it when compared to the cartoony originals films.

With that said, I felt the "3D" shots destracted from the film. They would pop up every 15 minutes or so (I guess to give the people who paid $12 to see it in 3D some justification for overpaying to see a movie). I didn't pay to see it in 3D and therefore they did nothing for me.

Urban was just OK as Dredd. Although to be fair you never see his face as he has a helmet on the entire movie. However I thought that Olivia Thirby did a fantastic job as the rookie Judge. This was the first time I've seen filled the roll well. Not to metion she is pretty damn hot!

If you are a Sci-Fi Action fan then I think you will really enjoy this movie.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had zero expectations for this film and it flat out BLEW ME AWAY. It almost feels like a late 80's early 90's Paul Verhoven film... Great action, hard core violence and good satire... Robocop-esque. And see it in 3D if u can. It's pretty spectacular use of the form. Will end up a cult classic because no one went to see it.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had zero expectations for this film and it flat out BLEW ME AWAY. It almost feels like a late 80's early 90's Paul Verhoven film... Great action, hard core violence and good satire... Robocop-esque. And see it in 3D if u can. It's pretty spectacular use of the form. Will end up a cult classic because no one went to see it.

They weren't even showing it in 3D at the Harkins Tempe Marketplace. Not that I would pay to see it in 3D. Although I could see how some of the scenes would be pretty cool in 3D.

But yeah I'm surprised this movie hasn't had a bigger following. I agree it will end up being a Cult Classic.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They weren't even showing it in 3D at the Harkins Tempe Marketplace. Not that I would pay to see it in 3D. Although I could see how some of the scenes would be pretty cool in 3D.

But yeah I'm surprised this movie hasn't had a bigger following. I agree it will end up being a Cult Classic.

I think the last dredd prob left such an awful taste in people's mouths that no one wanted to see this one. I know I didn't and only did out of sheer boredom.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I refuse to watch anything in 3D, but I watched this in 2D and was really pleasantly surprised. I think my worries just stemmed from how awful Stallone's was. Urban has really come into his own as an actor.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok just got back. Pretty damn awesome freaking movie!!

The 3D was absolutely phenomenal in it. I would say best I have ever seen actually.

Great recommend cheese and stout.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The 3D was absolutely phenomenal in it. I would say best I have ever seen actually.

It really is almost shocking how good this movie was.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cheese and stout? What am I chopped liver?

;)

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I poo poo the fact that you all have seen this. Whatever that means. But I would probably like it since I don't recall hating the original.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally saw this and my wife and I enjoyed it. Some pretty predictable moments, but hey.... there's danged few movies that don't have those.

Was there some reason they made a point for Karl Urban never to show his face?

I also wasn't crazy about the very end of the movie, but it was ok... it didn't ruin the show for me or anything.

4 out of 5 stars within it's genre.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I finally saw this and my wife and I enjoyed it. Some pretty predictable moments, but hey.... there's danged few movies that don't have those.

Was there some reason they made a point for Karl Urban never to show his face?

I also wasn't crazy about the very end of the movie, but it was ok... it didn't ruin the show for me or anything.

4 out of 5 stars within it's genre.

I believe he didn't show his face to stay true to the comics.

I'm bummed I didn't get to see it in 3D. I'm not really a fan of 3D, but everything I've read says it made great use of it.

Good action flick that moved along at a brisk pace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA