Kingsbury to allow Cardinals 'cellphone breaks'

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Isn't it part of their job to pay attention in these meetings? If you can't pay attention for more than 20 minutes then I question your mental acuity.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Isn't it part of their job to pay attention in these meetings? If you can't pay attention for more than 20 minutes then I question your mental acuity.
You don’t get it. Attention span isn’t something you consciously control. It’s something that differs for each individual. I’m sure everyone I know can sit in a room and pretend to pay attention for the same amount of time. But I’m equally certain that each one will find themselves fading or their mind wandering at different intervals. And it’s not an interest thing, at least not entirely. Just the past three days I’ve been at conference. There were back-to-back-to-back-etc meetings three days straight. There were 15 minute breaks and meals interspersed. But by the later meetings in the day I found myself losing focus 30 mins into a 45 min presentation.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Give me a break about not being able to "be a man" because you use your cellphone frequently.

The worst leaders are the ones who are rigid and unwavering to their way. If Kliff thinks he's worked something out, go for it.

I mean, keep in mind, not all of these dudes are gonna be running out of the building to go post selfies on Instagram, many of them have multi-million investments, endorsement deals, families to manage, etc.

Everyone in my office is pretty consistently on their phones, even through meetings, and I work in the corporate office of a Fortune 500.

Interesting that you went straight to "be a man" when I specifically mentioned women in my post. My post wasn't questioning their manhood, but their ADULThood. I don't give a flying eff what "the times" are. I don't care how many times a day we check our phones, either--hell, I swore I'd never have one at one point, and now I can't put it away. It's not even about using phones in team meetings, as I'm sure that already happens, there and in most workplaces. Having to cut off at 20 minutes of work because the poow wittle pwayers can't concentrate and HAVE to get on their cell phones? That's way too much cowtowing. Give me a freaking break! (see what I did there lol). Why make it a "cell phone" break? Just say we're going to take breaks--and don't take them so often. I'm sure they can make it an hour without having to take one.

In the 50s I'm pretty sure they would have been able to smoke whilst listening to the coach.

Ha, true!

Apparently you’re outta touch with today’s youth. This is actually something similar to what we are exploring in a professional workplace. Who cares how you get the behavior and output you desire if you get it. Some old school professionalism will always be valid, but failing to adapt to new cultural norms that have become ingrained in future generations and best leverage that is just obtuse and archaic. Adapt or be left behind . . .

Sure. Which is why I don't flip out when I'm running a group and someone checks their cell phone. It is what it is. Am I stopping my group every 20 minutes specifically so the clients can check their phones "formally," to do something they're ALREADY allowed to do? Yeah, no. Where does it end? You can constantly check your phones AND you're going to have just about as much break time as work time to specifically check your phones? That's just daft.

Ayup.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Not something I would ever imagine an NFL Head Coach doing, but if he wins the locker room by showing up before everyone working out hard before they arrive and being the last to leave, he will earn their respect and they will play hard for him. I am sure that there will be several other coaches who serve is henchmen and crack down on any troublemakers. But with a system like this, you can’t take chances on guys with character issues or even guys who may be prone to getting out of shape. Remove all Nkemdiche types from the board period

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
  • Kingsbury to allow Cardinals 'cellphone break

• New Arizona Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury won't waste any time using his college coaching background to help him in the NFL.
  • Kingsbury said Tuesday at the NFL owners meetings that he'll implement "cellphone breaks" during team meetings. He did something similar while coach at Texas Tech but will adapt it for NFL players.
  • "They're itching to get to those things," he said.
  • Kingsbury will let the players break for their phones every 20 or 30 minutes -- what he called a "good run" -- right around the time he usually starts seeing players lose interest.
I'm not a fan of this. Too lax of a situation for me. Is he trying to be a players coach?
Niners did this in 2015, where was the outrage then?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
this will be to Kingsbury what "no stretching" was to Arians

all injuries were attributed to Arians not having guys warm up

now, if somebody blows an assignment, it will be the cellphone policy

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
Cell phone breaks...f-ing ridiculous.

What's next, at the end of the season everyone gets a trophy, juice boxes at halftime, and we all go out for ice cream if we win? :sarcasm:

Again, f-ing ridiculous.

forever red

Rookie
Reaction score
And we wonder why millennials are the way they are. The notion that grown men can not concentrate on their jobs for more than 20 minutes without needing a cell phone break is absurd. The belief that they will be better able to concentrate if given time on their cell phones is naive. Instead what will happen is the players will as soon as they are done with their first call break spend the next 20 minutes thinking about what they are going to say on their next break only a few minutes away . If KK thinks this is a way to create discipline in young men then I beg to differ. A few weeks ago I was somewhat in favor of bringing in an offensive guru but this antic may well provide some insight why he had a losing record in college as a head coach.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Don't blow this out of proportion. 'Cellphone break' is simply code for what druggies use for getting high, having a snort, taking a quick hit. nothing to worry about here.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sure. Which is why I don't flip out when I'm running a group and someone checks their cell phone. It is what it is. Am I stopping my group every 20 minutes specifically so the clients can check their phones "formally," to do something they're ALREADY allowed to do? Yeah, no. Where does it end? You can constantly check your phones AND you're going to have just about as much break time as work time to specifically check your phones? That's just daft.

Man, do you not see the epic fail of what you’re willing to allow verses what KK is implementing?

Stout plan:
-players can ignore part of a presentation or discussion bc stout okay with them checking their phones
-players have discretion about when they check phones

Kk plan:
-players have to pay attention and can bc they know they only have to wait 20 mins to get their phones
-coaches have discretion about when players check phones

Pretty simply: advantage KK

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wonder if Kingsbury next takes a page out of Earl Watson’s book and implements mandatory yoga sessions.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Man, do you not see the epic fail of what you’re willing to allow verses what KK is implementing?

Stout plan:
-players can ignore part of a presentation or discussion bc stout okay with them checking their phones
-players have discretion about when they check phones

Kk plan:
-players have to pay attention and can bc they know they only have to wait 20 mins to get their phones
-coaches have discretion about when players check phones

Pretty simply: advantage KK

Dude, it already happens, everywhere. People are on their phones in meetings all over the place. Are you going to delude yourself into pretending that isn't the case? I don't like it, but it's part of the millennial culture now. Hard to fight it. But you know what's fricking worse? Only asking someone to hang in there and be productive for 20 minutes at a time. Really? REALLY? At this rate, NFL meeting rooms will have 2 minute "blast" sessions by the year 2030, followed by 1/2 hour cell phone breaks. Because, wow, how could you ask the young players to concentrate for more than TWO MINUTES?

This reminds me of that idiotic AMC CEO, who announced they were going to make some phone-friendly theaters, because asking millennials to put away their phones is like "asking them to cut off an arm." Really? REALLY? Yeah, you see how long that lasted. Problem is, this one's more subtle. It appeals to people that are trying to be hip to the times, and of course to the target age group. This is how it starts.

Or I'm just a massive conspiracy nut lol IDK, it's frickin' bedtime.

Last thought on inappropriate cell phone use. Though I've mainly given up on it elsewhere, I refuse to allow people to ruin my movie experience by dicking everyone in the theater over with their phone addiction. That's a hill I'll die on, and gladly. With my size, it isn't hard to enforce, either ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave