feed hopkins
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I did screen shots of freeze frame action. It looked like Souza crossed home plate OK. But what happened next?

In Photos 2 or 3, did he land or step awkwardly? Did he step on something? Photos 4 and 5 show him falling.

I guess we'll find out what happened.

This was sad to see.

You must be registered for see images attach

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I watched the replay and it looks bad. Hyper extended is what it looks to me. Given how severe it looked and the amount of pain he was in, it’d be a miracle if there isn’t any serious ligament damage.
My guess is he’s gone for an extended period of time...

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Damn, CarGo signed a minor league deal with CLE. We needed another bat before he got injured, now we need another OF.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thing I noticed from that video - a full 30 seconds between pitches.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Here is Torey Lovullo's take on the incident.

"Just a very unfortunate incident," Lovullo said. "I saw the tracks on home plate; I saw the tracks leaving home plate. He just slid across home plate. These athletes are so amazing and strong, that when you put some added force on some cleats, you just don't know how it's going to respond."

In the footage in Post #1, it didn't show a slide. He also said that Souza was wearing plastic rather than metal spikes.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...&utm_campaign=narrative&utm_term=article_body

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Regarding my previous comment about Souza not sliding . . . perhaps Torey meant that, as he crossed home plate on the run, Souza's foot slid across the plate.

Which would tie in with his wearing plastic, rather than metal, spikes.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hate seeing a player get hurt but I believe the Diamondbacks are a better team without him

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I hate seeing a player get hurt but I believe the Diamondbacks are a better team without him
I don't! The loss of a hitter with power (when he is healthy) is now lost to the team, putting more pressure on Peralta and Lamb and, to a lesser degree, Jones.

Marte (all 165 pounds of him) will be the replacement in the outfield, with Jones moving to RF. Oh well, at least it will not be Owings in the outfield.

I hope everyone in the lineup will concentrate on hitting line drives for RBI's, rather than fly balls.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Zach Buchanan (@ZHBuchanan)
3/26/19, 5:01 PM
There have been players who have come back from torn ACL and LCLs, like Zack Cozart and Kyle Schwarber. Hard to know how much the extra tears complicated Souza's situation.
'Very possible that we could never count on him as a full-time outfielder again.

I was hoping to see the contribution he could make following the departure of Goldy.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
'Very possible that we could never count on him as a full-time outfielder again.

I was hoping to see the contribution he could make following the departure of Goldy.
Very sad indeed. He was primed for a comeback year. Hope he can come back from this. Heal up Steven!