Kingsbury to allow Cardinals 'cellphone breaks'

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
  • Kingsbury to allow Cardinals 'cellphone break

• New Arizona Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury won't waste any time using his college coaching background to help him in the NFL.
  • Kingsbury said Tuesday at the NFL owners meetings that he'll implement "cellphone breaks" during team meetings. He did something similar while coach at Texas Tech but will adapt it for NFL players.
  • "They're itching to get to those things," he said.
  • Kingsbury will let the players break for their phones every 20 or 30 minutes -- what he called a "good run" -- right around the time he usually starts seeing players lose interest.

I'm not a fan of this. Too lax of a situation for me. Is he trying to be a players coach?

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Wow.. The old men are coming out.

Instead of calling kids soft, maybe you should look at the audience. Primarily a bunch of basicly kids that grew up with social media and loads of technology. Throw in that they have more money that they ever had in their life.

Good leadership is not to say fit or move out. The objective is to learn these kids to be professional about their career and sometimes you have to nudge them a bit on the way.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Wow.. The old men are coming out.

Instead of calling kids soft, maybe you should look at the audience. Primarily a bunch of basicly kids that grew up with social media and loads of technology. Throw in that they have more money that they ever had in their life.

Good leadership is not to say fit or move out. The objective is to learn these kids to be professional about their career and sometimes you have to nudge them a bit on the way.

Clearly not.

If you want to integrate technology because that's where these kids are at, great! Do it WHILE working. Bust out the Ipads and go over plays or something.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
  • Kingsbury to allow Cardinals 'cellphone break

• New Arizona Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury won't waste any time using his college coaching background to help him in the NFL.
  • Kingsbury said Tuesday at the NFL owners meetings that he'll implement "cellphone breaks" during team meetings. He did something similar while coach at Texas Tech but will adapt it for NFL players.
  • "They're itching to get to those things," he said.
  • Kingsbury will let the players break for their phones every 20 or 30 minutes -- what he called a "good run" -- right around the time he usually starts seeing players lose interest.
I'm not a fan of this. Too lax of a situation for me. Is he trying to be a players coach?

Hope he doesn't use too much of his college coaching background considering he got fired from his alma mater with a losing record.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Clearly not.

If you want to integrate technology because that's where these kids are at, great! Do it WHILE working. Bust out the Ipads and go over plays or something.
Who says that is not the case already? The objective is to teach them to focus on their job and finding a middle way.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Who says that is not the case already? The objective is to teach them to focus on their job and finding a middle way.

One thing you aren't doing on a nap--I'm sorry, a cell phone break--is focusing on your job. This is a poor attempt to bribe players to concentrate. That's not a middle way; that's pampering. In the 50's, did they let players go out for a smoke break every 20 minutes? Eff no! It isn't about the technology or anything--it's about men (and women, but we're talking NFL players) unable to act like men, and being rewarded for it rather than remolded.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
One thing you aren't doing on a nap--I'm sorry, a cell phone break--is focusing on your job. This is a poor attempt to bribe players to concentrate. That's not a middle way; that's pampering. In the 50's, did they let players go out for a smoke break every 20 minutes? Eff no! It isn't about the technology or anything--it's about men (and women, but we're talking NFL players) unable to act like men, and being rewarded for it rather than remolded.
Yeah, that time is over. It's about adjusting and adapting - on both sides. Younger generations do not engage like people did in the 50's.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Kyler Murray doesn't do any cellphone breaks. He will keep studying the playbook when all other players gaze into their phones.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Give me a break about not being able to "be a man" because you use your cellphone frequently.

The worst leaders are the ones who are rigid and unwavering to their way. If Kliff thinks he's worked something out, go for it.

I mean, keep in mind, not all of these dudes are gonna be running out of the building to go post selfies on Instagram, many of them have multi-million investments, endorsement deals, families to manage, etc.

Everyone in my office is pretty consistently on their phones, even through meetings, and I work in the corporate office of a Fortune 500.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler Murray doesn't do any cellphone breaks. He will keep studying the playbook when all other players gaze into their phones.

Obviously based off his knowledge of defenses and route trees he needs to.