Official "I can't keep up with technology" thread

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Samsung changed charging port type on their Galaxy phones. I tried to save a buck by using the one I already have to charge my new phone in my truck, so I bought an adapter from Amazon. The connector is so short I have to take the entire case off in order to get it to connect. It takes me longer to get the case on and off than it does to charge the phone!! It's worthless. Of course, they only come in packages of 3, another $30 down the terlet.

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation"

Sincerely,

Henry David Thoreau
you can get a decent USB-C cord for your vehicle at the gas station for like 20 bucks.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can get a decent USB-C cord for your vehicle at the gas station for like 20 bucks.

I just bought four 6-footers for like $20-25 on Monoprice. They go on sale all the time there.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't want to overwhelm him with technology links

Good point. Let's have him post his credit card number and just buy the darn things for him. I'm confident he can work the mailbox. :D

MrY = sit·ting duck

Dictionary result for sitting duck
/ˌsidiNG ˈdək/
noun
INFORMAL
  1. a person or thing with no protection against an attack or other source of danger.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Netflix won't load on Fire Cube, it just sits there with a little circle going round and round like it's updating. I let it go for like 30 min and still nuttin'. WTH?? All this crap is just maddening.

You must be registered for see images attach

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Netflix won't load on Fire Cube, it just sits there with a little circle going round and round like it's updating. I let it go for like 30 min and still nuttin'. WTH?? All this crap is just maddening.

Reboot the cube and try again. If it still doesn't work, reboot your router and modem, wait a minute or two and then turn on the cube and try again. My Xbox occasionally will freeze on the same screen so a restart usually fixes it.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reboot the cube and try again. If it still doesn't work, reboot your router and modem, wait a minute or two and then turn on the cube and try again. My Xbox occasionally will freeze on the same screen so a restart usually fixes it.

I tried rebooting like you suggested but it didn't fix it. I actually Googled and found instructions on how to delete Netflix cache and data... I did so with trepidation as you can't always trust the interwebs but it worked... At least for now.

Thanks!

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get a long list of updates for apps like every other day. Why do these need to be updated so often??

Mr Smart ass (easy guess who that is) will tell me to not have so many apps on my phone.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well just for that, I'm not going to tell you. :p

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get a long list of updates for apps like every other day. Why do these need to be updated so often??

Mr Smart ass (easy guess who that is) will tell me to not have so many apps on my phone.

get off my lawn! I dont need updates!

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll also see Adobe Photoshop app which I can't seem to figure out, as you already are aware.....

I wouldn't even attempt PS on a mobile device! How much was that sucker?

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@puckhead

Lil' help, please.

The screenshot below is an alert from Google. Trying to figure out if it's legit. What's weird is I've never even set up Samsung email, let alone used it. Also this was sent to my business email, not my gmail account. My employee is less tech savvy than I am but he didn't mess with accounts, he wouldn't know my gmail password anyway. The address it was sent from looks like an official google mail... I dunno.

NO, I did not click on the live links.... you've taught me that much at least... :)

Last edited:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@puckhead

Lil' help, please.

The screenshot below is an alert from Google. Trying to figure out if it's legit. What's weird is I've never used Samsung email. Also this was sent to my business email, not my gmail account. My employee is less tech savvy than I am but he didn't mess with accounts, he wouldn't know my gmail password anyway. The address it was sent from looks like an official google mail... I dunno.

NO, I did not click on the live links.... you've taught me that much at least... :)

I would log in to Gmail in separate window and check for alerts there. You earn a cookie for not clicking on live links! There's hope for you after all, my friend!

If something is up and your not sure what to do, you can try Google support.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would log in to Gmail in separate window and check for alerts there. You earn a cookie for not clicking on live links! There's hope for you after all, my friend!

If something is up and your not sure what to do, you can try Google support.

I logged on to both mine and employee's gmail and no alerts there. I have a Samsung account because I have 2 phones and smart tv.. no Samsung email that I can find.

I did see that I listed my business email as recovery account for employee's gmail so maybe that explains why it came to me. I still have no clue as to why these would be linked or why the alert came to recovery address.

Have I mentioned that I love technology????

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I logged on to both mine and employee's gmail and no alerts there. I have a Samsung account because I have 2 phones and smart tv.. no Samsung email that I can find.

I did see that I listed my business email as recovery account for employee's gmail so maybe that explains why it came to me. I still have no clue as to why these would be linked or why the alert came to recovery address.

This would not be a bad time to set up some new passwords just to be on the safe side. And please, don't write the password on a post it note and stick it under your keyboard. ;)

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This would not be a bad time to set up some new passwords just to be on the safe side. And please, don't write the password on a post it note and stick it under your keyboard. ;)

I keep my passwords in Dropbox, I guess that's safe.. Problem is I can't remember my Dropbox password when I need it from another device... Like when I need my Lookout password to find my phone from my wife's phone..

Have I mentioned that I love technology?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

did you try to login to the samsung "email" app on the samsung phone?

like, not the gmail app but a generic email app on your samsung phone

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
did you try to login to the samsung "email" app on the samsung phone?

like, not the gmail app but a generic email app on your samsung phone

Yeah, this native app is what I use but it's set up for my Pop3 account. My office mgr told me the email was legit because she gets them when her husband logs on her account. I went to permissions on my phone settings and Samsung email isn't even listed. I still can't figure out what happened.

OP
OP
MrYeahBut

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm learning technology! I said 'native app' ... lol

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this native app is what I use but it's set up for my Pop3 account. My office mgr told me the email was legit because she gets them when her husband logs on her account. I went to permissions on my phone settings and Samsung email isn't even listed. I still can't figure out what happened.
I would assume you logged into gmail on samsungs email app instead of using a gmail app so then google sent you the alert letting you know a new device now had access yo your gmail. Any new device you login to gmail on will likely send you this alert to make sure it was you signing into it on the new, unrecognized device.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose