Are Cards smokescreening the wrong QB?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After the Raiders signed AB, I can’t see the Raiders trading up to draft and pair the midget with him. That would negate the positives of trading for AB.

The Raiders are into 'make the playoffs now' mode. That's what the AB trade is about. They are not going to step away from Carr at this point.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The Raiders are into 'make the playoffs now' mode. That's what the AB trade is about. They are not going to step away from Carr at this point.

I don't know; Gruden has come off as extremely lukewarm on Carr.

I think Gruden is going to fall in love with Murray's tools and humble personality.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think Gruden is going to fall in love with Murray's tools and humble personality.

Gruden's system, in terms of terminology, is quite complex and I doubt he's going to turn this over to a rookie at this point.

'Extremely lukewarm' is one extremely too many.

Gruden never gushes over his QB's.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I want more than two 1sts.

My ideal scenarios:

1) Stay at #1 and take Bosa. Franchise Pass Rusher. High upside.

2) Trade down in the top ten. At least two 1sts. Would only do it for probably a combo of 4 picks total, if not 5 picks.

3) Trade Rosen for at least one 1st round pick...ideally 1st and third. Draft Murray. Use other 1st on pass Rusher.

I like your scenarios.

If Murray is the guy...how do we stick it to the 49ers?

1) We could make them trade up to #1 (threaten to trade out with Jets or Raiders who also need edge rusher). We did this with the Chargers (#2 pick for #3 overall). 49ers get Bosa but we make them pay.

2) We actually trade with the Jets/Raiders (if they want Bosa). Riskier scenarios though. If we traded with Jets, the Raiders could trade with 49ers and get Murray (if that was our pick). If we trade with the Raiders, someone else could trade up with Jets to get Murray (doubtful based on cost).

If Murray is not the guy:

1) Take Bosa or Q Williams
2) Trade with Raiders and pick up 4th, another 1st, and more. (If we are not sold on Bosa or Q).

This is crazy!

swagron

All Star
Reaction score

You don’t think other teams play the misdirection game? The Cardinals aren’t the only team that can do that

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Giving this some thought if we trade with the raiders because they want Bosa we’d be sitting at #4 , #27. Wouldn’t it send a message to the league we are not interested in Murray? The 49ers take Allen , the Jets take Williams. Our turn at #4 but the Giants want Haskins and come to us to move up. We move back to #6 plus additional picks. Don’t know who the Bucs would be looking at but I don’t think Arians would take Murray. Still nobody thinks we want Murray because if we did we would have taken him. Ahhh, but we do. We select Murray with #6. It’s also possible at that point the Redskins suddenly are interested in Rosen for there pick #15. We are sitting there with #15, #27, #33, and the Giants second round (#38?) and Murray. Crazy scenario if you’re able to follow along with this diatribe! Lol.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Giving this some thought if we trade with the raiders because they want Bosa we’d be sitting at #4 , #27. Wouldn’t it send a message to the league we are not interested in Murray? The 49ers take Allen , the Jets take Williams. Our turn at #4 but the Giants want Haskins and come to us to move up. We move back to #6 plus additional picks. Don’t know who the Bucs would be looking at but I don’t think Arians would take Murray. Still nobody thinks we want Murray because if we did we would have taken him. Ahhh, but we do. We select Murray with #6. It’s also possible at that point the Redskins suddenly are interested in Rosen for there pick #15. We are sitting there with #15, #27, #33, and the Giants second round (#38?) and Murray. Crazy scenario if you’re able to follow along with this diatribe! Lol.
Getting 27 outs you inline for an impact receiver, like Harry, too. For Giants to go from 6 to 4, I think you'd get more than their #2, don't you? Possibly a 2 or 3 in 2020...or a 4th in 2019?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting 27 outs you inline for an impact receiver, like Harry, too. For Giants to go from 6 to 4, I think you'd get more than their #2, don't you? Possibly a 2 or 3 in 2020...or a 4th in 2019?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Perhaps. The whole premise to this is suddenly everybody is thinking we decided on not taking Murray. Even sitting at #4 we are in control for anybody wanting to move up. But the only team we are willing to trade with is the Giants. If that trade goes down again it sends a message we are not interested in Murray , but when we are on the clock with #6, we suddenly are.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like your scenarios.

If Murray is the guy...how do we stick it to the 49ers?

1) We could make them trade up to #1 (threaten to trade out with Jets or Raiders who also need edge rusher). We did this with the Chargers (#2 pick for #3 overall). 49ers get Bosa but we make them pay.

2) We actually trade with the Jets/Raiders (if they want Bosa). Riskier scenarios though. If we traded with Jets, the Raiders could trade with 49ers and get Murray (if that was our pick). If we trade with the Raiders, someone else could trade up with Jets to get Murray (doubtful based on cost).

If Murray is not the guy:

1) Take Bosa or Q Williams
2) Trade with Raiders and pick up 4th, another 1st, and more. (If we are not sold on Bosa or Q).

This is crazy!
In 2, if we trade with the Raiders wouldn’t that send a message to the rest of the league we aren’t interested in Murray and just take him at #4?

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
- If the Raiders have an interest in our pick, I think it's to draft Bosa, NOT Murray. Cardinals get Raiders 4 & 27. Probably more. I really don't know the compensation point system.
- We then keep Bosa away from Niners.
- Niners either trade out of 2 or take Allen/Williams
- Jets take either Allen/Williams. Whoever the Niners don't take.
- Cardinals either take Murray at 4 or trade it to Giants (NY nervous that someone (Wash, Cincy, Miami) may jump up and snag Haskins.
- TB takes a non QB
- at 6, Cardinals have now accumulated a slew of additional picks & can draft Murray if they want. They can also package Rosen to Skins for Keenum & a pick. Then we have Keenum/Murray as our QB tandem & a ton of additional 2019 & 2020 picks.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
- If the Raiders have an interest in our pick, I think it's to draft Bosa, NOT Murray. Cardinals get Raiders 4 & 27. Probably more. I really don't know the compensation point system.
- We then keep Bosa away from Niners.
- Niners either trade out of 2 or take Allen/Williams
- Jets take either Allen/Williams. Whoever the Niners don't take.
- Cardinals either take Murray at 4 or trade it to Giants (NY nervous that someone (Wash, Cincy, Miami) may jump up and snag Haskins.
- TB takes a non QB
- at 6, Cardinals have now accumulated a slew of additional picks & can draft Murray if they want. They can also package Rosen to Skins for Keenum & a pick. Then we have Keenum/Murray as our QB tandem & a ton of additional 2019 & 2020 picks.
Ayo stop including Keenum under any cirsumstance to AZ.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does this matter

Like at all

For anyone
If Murray is our guy then yes. If not, no. People that want Murray thinks he’s going to walk into the team and just light things up. I’m not so sure they would be the case, but who knows.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dislike Keenum but would it be helpful to a starting QB to have a back-up that understands the new system?
I think the “mentor” aspect is extremely overrated.

You can only know so much, but if your play or desire doesn’t reflect it then well....

That’s why I always laugh when people on here say “Larry can mentor *insert new WR here”.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Perhaps. The whole premise to this is suddenly everybody is thinking we decided on not taking Murray. Even sitting at #4 we are in control for anybody wanting to move up. But the only team we are willing to trade with is the Giants. If that trade goes down again it sends a message we are not interested in Murray , but when we are on the clock with #6, we suddenly are.

I think that another team would trade up with the Jets, Tampa, or Niners to get Murray.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You had me until you picked murray

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the “mentor” aspect is extremely overrated.

You can only know so much, but if your play or desire doesn’t reflect it then well....

That’s why I always laugh when people on here say “Larry can mentor *insert new WR here”.
It's really important to have a savvy vet in the room as a second coach. I wouldn't discount that.

It also helps that you're good (Larry)

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You had me until you picked murray

Trust me BRR, I’m not advocating taking Murray. Just laying out a possible plan where we can stockpile 3 or 4 addition picks and still get him. If we went about it this way at least we could still add other valuable players via the draft.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard the same reasoning last season, i am discounting until further notice.

It's not really a reasoning, just a fact. I am a veteran on my sales floor. They purposely sit newer people by me in a rotation so they can learn from me. This is normal in any and every environment that you need veterans and leaders to mentor the new people and groom them. Nothing to even debate.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson