Alex Trebek Diagnosed With Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Man that sucks. Having lost two friends from it - the last in Sept - it's going to be hard for his family. Stage 4 survivability is pretty much zero and he probably has 6mo of quality of life left maybe less. Stage 4 pancreatic is very fast. Very sad for him and his family.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh. So sad. Tough diagnosis. Took Michael Landon, Patrick Swayze, Fred Gwynne, and others rather quickly after they went public with their personal battles.

Ragnar

Veteran
Reaction score
This is just so tragic ‘ Jeopardy will never be the same without him...that’s assuming it can survive his passing.
I’ve often wonder who would be able to replace Alex when he retired absolutely wasn’t expecting this news. Good luck and God bless you Alex.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This is just so tragic ‘ Jeopardy will never be the same without him...that’s assuming it can survive his passing.
I’ve often wonder who would be able to replace Alex when he retired absolutely wasn’t expecting this news. Good luck and God bless you Alex.
Best of luck to him--he's the best. Never will forget him playing a Man in Black in an X-Files episode...

If they can get Drew friggin' Carey to replace Bob Barker and still stay successful, I would bet that Jeopardy will do the same. I used to work with the daughter of one of the producers of that show and Trebek is a huge part of that, but the show is a monster even without him.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's hard to imagine anyone else doing that show. They'll have to spend alot of time testing new people because it would be really easy to mess up the timing. Alex makes it seamless.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About the only person who I can even see replacing him is Ben Stein.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
About the only person who I can even see replacing him is Ben Stein.
Ben Stein 20 years ago maybe but now his voice is too gravely. The show is still popular so it won't be cancelled. I just hope that whoever they choose will be the best candidate and not some PC choice. Jeopardy is the type of game show where a big personality isn't needed. You need someone who's kind of dry but has just enough of a personality to carry it off...like Alex. Can't think of anyone off the top of my head.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That cancer is a death sentence. Man...they need to get this cancer thing solved. I know there are many promising new technologies and medical procedures on the horizon. Having two parents that suffered from cancer I just wish some of these advancements would happen much faster.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/alex-trebek-reveals-tumors-shrunk-114016430.html?guccounter=1

“It’s kind of mind-boggling,” the 78-year-old says, in PEOPLE’s new cover story. Although the cancer has a 9 percent survival rate, Trebek has been responding very well to chemotherapy. “The doctors said they hadn’t seen this kind of positive result in their memory…some of the tumors have already shrunk by more than 50 percent.”

Good news so far and I wish him a full, healthy recovery.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's hoping he continues to respond well to the treatments.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This disease is very near and dear to my heart. I do have to wonder though with this type of cancer usually being a death sentence if his financial means are not playing a huge part in his recovery. I am sure he is getting the best care ever.

I wish him well and I really hope we make progress with this specific cancer which is so deadly.