Murray to Cards a "done deal"

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Damn, u know its madness when even Walter Football got Cards taking KM 1st!!! Time to fire up the PS4 & stay away from interwebs until draft night

UK Cardinal

Reaction score
The more I look into Murray at Oklahoma the more I doubt it translates to the Cardinals.

he had:

. a RB duo that rushed for over 2000 yards, the LB's had to focus on stopping the run which gave him the space to run down the sidelines

. a top 2 WR this year and possibly next years top WR in Marquise Brown and Ceedee Lamb forced DB's to go deep to cover them leaving 15-20 yards of open field to run into.

. a solid offensive line (unlike the Cardinals) which often gave him all the time in the world to make reads, throw without pressure and stop the entire DL when he wanted to run

Oh and one of the best coaches in college football right now!

I don't think we can replicate the perfect environment for him and NFL defenses are going to be a lot better at stopping him running and collapsing the pocket on him.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kliff Kingsbury insists Cardinals haven’t decided on top pick

The Cardinals might draft Kyler Murray No. 1 overall, but they might not. New coach Kliff Kingsbury insisted Tuesday the team has not made a decision yet despite reports they have.

“But it’s fun to hear how I’ve said I do [know] and that it is a done deal and all those things,” Kingsbury said on the Kingsbury Chronicle podcast, via the team website. “So you just roll with it. Enjoy this process.

A report said Kingsbury told people at the Scouting Combine that drafting Murray was a “done deal.”

The Cardinals very well may draft Murray with the top choice, but the report makes no sense. First, it is unknown who the “people” are. Second, why would Kingsbury reveal who the Cardinals were taking? Third, the draft is six weeks from now.

“Yeah, just rolling around Indy saying, ‘It’s a done deal,'” Kingsbury said. “I would have to adamantly deny that.”

Murray and Ohio State edge rusher Nick Bosa have the best odds to go first overall. The Cardinals, of course, also could trade the choice.
Kingsbury unwittingly created some of the intrigue about the top choice when he said last fall, before Texas Tech’s game against Oklahoma, that he would “take [Murray] with the first pick of the draft if I could.”

Maybe the Cardinals haven’t made a decision, but maybe they have.

“It makes it fun having the first pick because nobody knows if you are trying to throw smokescreens or telling the truth or what,” Kingsbury said. “There are a thousand different ways you can go with this, and we are still 50 days away.”

DRM08

Veteran
Reaction score
Kliff Kingsbury insists Cardinals haven’t decided on top pick

The Cardinals might draft Kyler Murray No. 1 overall, but they might not. New coach Kliff Kingsbury insisted Tuesday the team has not made a decision yet despite reports they have.

“But it’s fun to hear how I’ve said I do [know] and that it is a done deal and all those things,” Kingsbury said on the Kingsbury Chronicle podcast, via the team website. “So you just roll with it. Enjoy this process.

A report said Kingsbury told people at the Scouting Combine that drafting Murray was a “done deal.”

The Cardinals very well may draft Murray with the top choice, but the report makes no sense. First, it is unknown who the “people” are. Second, why would Kingsbury reveal who the Cardinals were taking? Third, the draft is six weeks from now.

“Yeah, just rolling around Indy saying, ‘It’s a done deal,'” Kingsbury said. “I would have to adamantly deny that.”

Murray and Ohio State edge rusher Nick Bosa have the best odds to go first overall. The Cardinals, of course, also could trade the choice.
Kingsbury unwittingly created some of the intrigue about the top choice when he said last fall, before Texas Tech’s game against Oklahoma, that he would “take [Murray] with the first pick of the draft if I could.”

Maybe the Cardinals haven’t made a decision, but maybe they have.

“It makes it fun having the first pick because nobody knows if you are trying to throw smokescreens or telling the truth or what,” Kingsbury said. “There are a thousand different ways you can go with this, and we are still 50 days away.”

Yeah, the rumor of Kliff telling people “done deal” makes no sense based on how he operates as a coach. He tries to follow the Belichick strategy of saying nothing.

The only way that rumor makes sense is if the Cardinals are doing a big smokescreen to convince other teams they need to trade into #1 spot if they want Murray.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
No idea why this guy is commenting, will he even be on the team next year?
TBH I don't know if it was about Murray...lol...Just thought it appropriate for this group.

He's a fun follow on Twits.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Pretty much what the pushback to Casserly's comments said on NFLN - namely: "If he was that dumb/lazy, he wouldn't be this good."

I agree with the comment on this board that the Cards will run down these and other red flags and won't draft the kid if his interviews/background checks don't measure up.

Side observation - How old is the kid? How much experience has he had in big time college athletic pgms? Could his so-called work ethic issues be merely a function of youth and inexperience that will corrct itself as he matures? Or - is he simply who he's proved himself to be? That's for the Cards and other teams to figure out

Murray is 21. He had the stint at TAMU, transferred to OU, and in his soph year, was Mayfield's back up. Took the college football world by storm his junior season.

At this point Jeff, it comes down to those opposed to drafting Murray steering the narrative in the direction they want. For example, propagating the idea that Murray is merely an athlete playing QB. Moving the discussion away from his college production. Or, making the (very reasonable) argument that JR is still our best hope.

The "pro-murray" guys come back with "look at the tape", point to Mayfield's success, state that we need to swing for the fences if we want a ring, etc.

Both sides have valid points. Both sides have good arguments. Neither side is "wrong".

You and I won't change anything by expending mountains of bandwidth on the subject in between now and Apr. 25. Most of the salient points have been made, and you've made a few of them.

Really all you and I can hope for is that Bidwill, Keim and Kingsbury can figure out best thing to do for our team on draft night. Sincerely man, that's what I really want. If that means drafting Bosa, or somebody other than Murray, great. I'll trust the Cardinal's leadership to do the right thing.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Murray is 21. He had the stint at TAMU, transferred to OU, and in his soph year, was Mayfield's back up. Took the college football world by storm his junior season.

At this point Jeff, it comes down to those opposed to drafting Murray steering the narrative in the direction they want. For example, propagating the idea that Murray is merely an athlete playing QB. Moving the discussion away from his college production. Or, making the (very reasonable) argument that JR is still our best hope.

The "pro-murray" guys come back with "look at the tape", point to Mayfield's success, state that we need to swing for the fences if we want a ring, etc.

Both sides have valid points. Both sides have good arguments. Neither side is "wrong".

You and I won't change anything by expending mountains of bandwidth on the subject in between now and Apr. 25. Most of the salient points have been made, and you've made a few of them.

Really all you and I can hope for is that Bidwill, Keim and Kingsbury can figure out best thing to do for our team on draft night. Sincerely man, that's what I really want. If that means drafting Bosa, or somebody other than Murray, great. I'll trust the Cardinal's leadership to do the right thing.

Great post. Thank you.

Frank The Fixer

Veteran
Reaction score
Keim has certainly had his failures while he’s been here but he’s also had his fair share of success. I don’t doubt that KK is salivating at the thought of running his offense with Murray but the decision will be Steve’s. No way a seasoned general manager has even come close to making a decision. My opinion is they’ll stick with Josh and draft Bosa or deal the pick. If Kliff can’t run a high powered offense without his guy he’s the wrong man for the job.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

FWIW, Boston is unlikely to be back, so I doubt this has anything to do w/ the Rosen/Murray fiasco

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Would there be an option to draft Murray but keep Rosen and have Murray as the backup so he doesnt have to jump right in? Also would be good to see how Rosen does with this new offensive scheme to see if he improves. That would be a win win as if he does, and Murray turns out to be great, you have some great trade scenarios. If he doesnt improve, you have Murray waiting.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keim has certainly had his failures while he’s been here but he’s also had his fair share of success. I don’t doubt that KK is salivating at the thought of running his offense with Murray but the decision will be Steve’s. No way a seasoned general manager has even come close to making a decision. My opinion is they’ll stick with Josh and draft Bosa or deal the pick. If Kliff can’t run a high powered offense without his guy he’s the wrong man for the job.

This a million times over especially that last sentence.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would there be an option to draft Murray but keep Rosen and have Murray as the backup so he doesnt have to jump right in? Also would be good to see how Rosen does with this new offensive scheme to see if he improves. That would be a win win as if he does, and Murray turns out to be great, you have some great trade scenarios. If he doesnt improve, you have Murray waiting.

And if they both suck?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then the team sucks bad enough to draft Trevor Lawrence, haha. Third time is the charm?

Not true because they would give them 2-3 years to try and develop with a new coach even... If we take one and keep both and both failures which isn’t even completely out of the realm of possibility… We would be the dregs of the NFL for the next 15 years

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is what I'm saying about Kyler. He sucks in interviews, which scares me about him on this tremendous stage.

Thinking about it as I typed it, I don't think it's totally fair to expect any young guy like this to be "media polished," but it makes me question so much. Is he shy? Is he ambivalent? Is he stupid? I can't answer it. Some of the same applies to Rosen, but I at least appreciate Rosen coming out and saying "I'm not going to say what might always be the perfect answer."
Is it true that Murray is coming out early and quite simply immature - i.e. is he likely to grow out of this?

DRM08

Veteran
Reaction score
Not true because they would give them 2-3 years to try and develop with a new coach even... If we take one and keep both and both failures which isn’t even completely out of the realm of possibility… We would be the dregs of the NFL for the next 15 years

Your owner has shown a willingness to fire a coach after only a year on the job and with a very inexperienced QB running the show. He's the owner and he can pull the plug whenever he wants. The fact they are even considering a possible trade on Rosen is mindblowing to begin with.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Wow. That was brutal.
how does a guy play QB for a major school and still cant handle media questions?? Have seen 12 year olds handle media questions better than that.
sounds like he still wants to play baseball....you can bet he has to be drafted high enough to pay that bonus back to the A's or he aint gonna play football.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how does a guy play QB for a major school and still cant handle media questions?? Have seen 12 year olds handle media questions better than that.
sounds like he still wants to play baseball....you can bet he has to be drafted high enough to pay that bonus back to the A's or he aint gonna play football.

Yea that was pretty brutal as stated.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
So, I'm still wanting to keep Rosen and build around him, BUT if the Cards are going to go for Murray, here is my trade scenario:

Trade Rosen to Broncos for #10 AND Case Keenum...yes, he will cost $20 million, but it's just 1 season...To me, Denver gets the pocket passer they covet...The Cards get a QB that, hands down, knows KKs offense and can start the season, or be backup to Murray for 1 year. The Cards can draft another good player at #10 and really not miss a beat. If it weren't for the rookie wage scale, this wouldn't be possible, but I think it can work. This also allows the Cards to save some face, by getting a perceived 1st rounder back for Rosen and not a 3rd.