Woj: Suns in a state of disrepair.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think having the mentality that every other position should be paid more like they are in the non-entertainment world is stupid and outdated. He should be spending on his staff how the rest of the league (specifically the good teams) spend on theirs. If he did that, I bet he’s able to bring in more qualified GMs and coaches rather than rookie ones each time.

So do I. My point was that it's a tough call to decide whether it's cheapness or stupidity driving some of these decisions. I lean towards stupidity because I believe Sarver would pony up the bucks to hire a good GM if he was convinced it was necessary. I'm just wondering how much more evidence he'll need to convince him.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I will say this...I strongly believe that if Sarver opened up his check book then Mike Budenholzer would be the HC for the Suns right now. Would Budenholzer have the same success here that he’s having with a super talent Bucks team? No but would it better than what the Suns currently have? Maybe.

I just know McDonough and Budenholzer had their interview and everything went well enough for it go to ownership discussions and then Sarver and Budenholzer had phone which was followed by Budenholzer withdrawing from consideration.

And I do think there’s been more experienced coaches and GMs in the past who have not came here due to Sarver’s haggling over salary imo.

I’m my opinion Bud wanted full control like SVG had in Detroit. Otherwise he wouldn’t have been messing around with a bad team with a putrid GM.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
In related news:

The Sun rose in the east and set in the west.

Income taxes are due in April.

Elephants still have big ears.

Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.
The Sun doesn’t actually rise.
Those Indian elephants have small ears
Not if you get an extension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I’m my opinion Bud wanted full control like SVG had in Detroit. Otherwise he wouldn’t have been messing around with a bad team with a putrid GM.
There were insiders on RealGM (or at least insiders that the moderators on the board stand by) who said the Suns leaked the whole Bud wanted full control thing to avoid bad press.

It’s a toss up whether to believe it or not but again because of Sarver’s history of low balling his staff, he doesn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry but the Sterling to Sarver comparison doesn't hold up IMO. Sterling was one of the worst owners of all sports of all time. Sarver isn't even the worst in the league right now, though he doesn't miss by much.

I'm not familiar with Sarver's rep locally as a banker, to what do you refer? What did he do that was "reprehensible" and to whom are you referring when you mention the disdain he's held in by "Phoenix banking circles".
Thank you for making my point for me. Sarver is not Sterlintg. But they ran/run their basketball teams the same way: shoew he owner a black number down in NIAT, and they are happy. Wins and losses be damned.

As to Bobby's track record as a banker, too long to explain the thing to you. Maybe search the Phoenix Business Journal for his name.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know what happened with Budenzholer but since all that is known is he met with McD on day 1 and Sarver on day 2 he ended up passing on the job. Considering McD got fired 3 months later I wouldn't be surprised if Sarver said something about McD's job being on the line or making a comment to Budenholzer about how he would get the GM tag at the end of the summer if McD didn't assemble a competitive roster. I don't think any coach would want to join a team whose GM was on the verge of being canned and with what Bud had to deal with in Atlanta how he was placed in control of the team as the GM of sorts and Atlanta wouldn't up his pay even though he was doing 2 jobs on a full time basis he wanted out there and didn't want a repeat in Phoenix. It's not like Sarver has a history of paying staff well so he probably saw he'd end up with full control, if he wanted it or not, but would be shafted in terms of pay again.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for making my point for me. Sarver is not Sterlintg. But they ran/run their basketball teams the same way: shoew he owner a black number down in NIAT, and they are happy. Wins and losses be damned.

As to Bobby's track record as a banker, too long to explain the thing to you. Maybe search the Phoenix Business Journal for his name.

Sorry but that isn't true at all. Sarver wants to win, badly. He wants money even more but he definitely wants to win. He's been incompetent to date but it's not from a lack of trying. If all he cared about was money he would have just stayed with Ryan and probably Triano, assuming he was available cheaper than Koko.

At one time I knew a fair amount about Sarver as a banker but the information is pretty dated (90's). I know nothing about what you're referring to. But I've never heard other bankers suggest he was shady, though again, that's dated.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
very clearly not JCs handwriting. sad.
Hmmm. Here is Jerry's signature as it appears online.

You must be registered for see images attach

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=Awr9DuFAx3dcmVcACCdXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByNWU4cGh1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=jerry+colangelo's+signature+card&fr=ymyy-t-999

And here it is in his response to my letter.

Yup, clearly not the same. Did someone in his Phoenix office answer it for him?

Last edited:

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry but that isn't true at all. Sarver wants to win, badly. He wants money even more but he definitely wants to win. He's been incompetent to date but it's not from a lack of trying. If all he cared about was money he would have just stayed with Ryan and probably Triano, assuming he was available cheaper than Koko.

At one time I knew a fair amount about Sarver as a banker but the information is pretty dated (90's). I know nothing about what you're referring to. But I've never heard other bankers suggest he was shady, though again, that's dated.
Again, you pretty much made my point for me. Sarver cares more about cash flow statements.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem I see with Sarver is he will not delegate power.

McDonough did not help the situation one bit.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Here is Jerry's signature as it appears online.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=Awr9DuFAx3dcmVcACCdXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByNWU4cGh1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=jerry+colangelo's+signature+card&fr=ymyy-t-999

And here it is in his response to my letter.

Yup, clearly not the same. Did someone in his Phoenix office answer it for him?

Signatures change over the years.

You might do an image search on Google for variations.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Signatures change over the years.

You might do an image search on Google for variations.
Here are two examples of Jerry's "HOF 04" signature on Google. It doesn't match the one I found on Yahoo or the one in the response I received.

So, yes, Jerry's Merry Christmas response to my letter about Sarver was evidently from someone in his Phoenix office. At the time, Jerry was still employed by the Sixers.

Sarver should start signing "HOS 19". Hall of Shame. :)

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are two examples of Jerry's "HOF 04" signature on Google. It doesn't match the one I found on Yahoo or the one in the response I received.

So, yes, Jerry's Merry Christmas response to my letter about Sarver was evidently from someone in his Phoenix office. At the time, Jerry was still employed by the Sixers.

Sarver should start signing "HOS 19". Hall of Shame. :)

I'm proud you acted on your feelings by writing the letter. This is what counts.

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sarver is stepping down from his bank and is retiring from a couple of board of director roles he holds this year. Word is that he is looking to buy a soccer franchise.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
At least the Suns have better chemistry than the Lakers. Awfully chilly in LA these days. Kind of delights me.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
At least the Suns have better chemistry than the Lakers. Awfully chilly in LA these days. Kind of delights me.
The LeBron James effect when he gets all the credit for wins and his teammates get all the blame for the losses.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
ESPN is sighting in on Sarver and the Suns.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...messy-dysfunctional-front-office?platform=amp

Pretty damning stuff here.

With some comic relief:
FOUR YEARS AFTER naming McDonough general manager, Sarver acquired some live goats from a Diana Taurasi event at Talking Stick Resort Arena and planted them upstairs in McDonough's office. The stunt was both a practical joke and an inspirational message -- the Suns should find a GOAT of their own, one who dominates like Taurasi. The goats, unaware of their metaphorical connotation, proceeded to defecate all over McDonough's office.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On a positive note: Despite his inadequacies and inexperience as a GM, James Jones seems to be making progress on the player/management relationship dynamics which is what he was brought in here to do.

I wish he was paired with an experience GM so he could continue making progress.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
On a positive note: Despite his inadequacies and inexperience as a GM, James Jones seems to be making progress on the player/management relationship dynamics which is what he was brought in here to do.

I wish he was paired with an experience GM so he could continue making progress.
Hire Pop. Give him an ownership share and let him become the managing GP. Sarver steps back into just an ownership role. This is the only solution to this mess (although there are probably others besides Pop who could fill this role).