We should trade down

OP
OP
Skipper1111

Skipper1111

Rookie
Reaction score
Unless there's another team "hot' on a QB, the Giants have no need to trade with us.

At this point, our best chance for a trade down is with Oakland if they are hot for Bosa as a replacement for Mack.

Ahh, true and they have a lot of picks to trade around.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we are simply in love with a player , take him. Friday morning teams will be knocking down the cardinals door for our first pick in the 2nd round. That’s where we can make a killing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we are simply in love with a player , take him. Friday morning teams will be knocking down the cardinals door for our first pick in the 2nd round. That’s where we can make a killing.

And subsequent rounds as well.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"celebrity players"

hmm
Were you around when we traded down, didn't take Terrell Suggs and instead got Bryant Johnson and Calvin pace?
Beat me to it.

At the time, I considered that move among the worst Cardinal draft gaffes of the modern era.

Before we even consider the possibility of trading down, SK and his people need to stack their board, and the Cards need to develop a "talent profile" for 120 or more top picks and where the rating peaks and valleys fall. (i.e. when you have a draft-profile that projects the top 12 prospects (including 3 QB's) as future pro bowlers, you draft (& trade) much differently than you would with fewer blue-chippers (& no QB's) in your top 15 or 20.

From what I've read here, I don't get the feeling this is a top heavy draft. I also don't want us to sacrifice a future Suggs in order to load up on Pace or Johnson-rated athletes. (But a couple of future Boldins would be cool).

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beat me to it.

At the time, I considered that move among the worst Cardinal draft gaffes of the modern era.

Before we even consider the possibility of trading down, SK and his people need to stack their board, and the Cards need to develop a "talent profile" for 120 or more top picks and where the rating peaks and valleys fall. (i.e. when you have a draft-profile that projects the top 12 prospects (including 3 QB's) as future pro bowlers, you draft (& trade) much differently than you would with fewer blue-chippers (& no QB's) in your top 15 or 20.

From what I've read here, I don't get the feeling this is a top heavy draft. I also don't want us to sacrifice a future Suggs in order to load up on Pace or Johnson-rated athletes. (But a couple of future Boldens would be cool).
How dare you misspell Boldin!

OP
OP
Skipper1111

Skipper1111

Rookie
Reaction score
I honestly hope we trade down our top pick to get more picks, we have so much rebuilding to do and one good guy no matter how good will not solve it, that’s an honest fact.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I honestly hope we trade down our top pick to get more picks, we have so much rebuilding to do and one good guy no matter how good will not solve it, that’s an honest fact.
you are overlooking the difference coaching and scheme are going to make. Yes we have holes but in no way are we barren.
we have three major holes on defense...2 in the front 7 and one in the secondary.
on offense we have four? OG,OT,TE,WR. the sad part is this isnt a great draft for oline. but it is a fairly good WR draft and a great draft for TE.
rather than dumping the #1 we would be smarter to try and parlay the #33 into another first round pick....

not to say that trading back to around 4, then using the extra picks we gain to trade back into the first isnt an option... but bringing in a ton of late round rookies isnt going to help this team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This would be fun for the fans for sure.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Compile a list of blue-chip (franchise) prospects.

Only trade down as far as the number of franchise guys (i.e. if there are 7 guys on your list, only trade down as far as #7. If there are only 3, only trade down no farther than to the #3 spot).

That way, you're guaranteed at least one guy you really like.

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score
There is no cant miss prospect in this draft. You trade to the 49ers if they are willing to pay for Bosa. If it wasn't San Fran ppl wouldn't have such a problem with it. Then trade again to whoever want a QB and is willing to pay. Also can stay in the top 10 i believe. Still maybe get Oliver, Allen or Williams or Nkeal Harry. Then get the best OLineman we can, which the best are gonna be in the 20 to 30 range

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A trade that I could see is a three team trade with the Jets and Jaguars. The Jags need a QB and also need to cut payroll. Cardinals and Jets do not need a QB and could move back to pick up additional picks to help rebuild. This is just off the top of my head, but the basics seem to make sense for all three.... to me anyways

Arizona would receive 2019 #3 pick, 2020 2nd, Jags OC Brandon Linder

Jets Receive pick #7 and Jalen Ramsey or 2020 first

Jaguars receive pick #1

Cardinals pick up a 2nd round pick, young pro bowl center and can still draft the 2nd best player on their board.

Jags unload a disgruntled Ramsey who they probably can't afford to resign, draft their QBOTF and free up about $10M

Jets just do it cuz

OP
OP
Skipper1111

Skipper1111

Rookie
Reaction score
Definitely trade our top pick, We could really strengthen our “team” with quality depth. Please.

Edit=Rosen is a good QB, Our Oline sucked last season. (Rosen=Payton Manning, imo)

I’m not into the Bosa pick either, not feeling him, I predict bust.

Mark my words:)

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely trade our top pick, We could really strengthen our “team” with quality depth. Please.

Edit=Rosen is a good QB, Our Oline sucked last season. (Rosen=Payton Manning, imo)

To each his own but IMHO you are wrong about Bosa.Great work ethic,Great technique,Rare play strength(quoting NFL.com)good all around playing skills .Good versus the run and good pass rushing skills.Pretty much consensus top pick by most experts who played the game.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Bosa is the closest thing to a sure thing there is. Could he have a major injury that makes him a bust, sure just like any other player. Is he our most pressing position we need to fill, no, but we aren't going to spend #1 to get a OL, WR, CB etc we can pick up in later rounds. If Bosa is healthy and fails here it is more likely a bust on our staff than him. People who have played against both Nick and Joey and people who have followed their entire careers are struggling to say which one will be better and seeing as Joey is one of the best DEs in the country I wouldn't feel too concerned.

If we can harass and fluster opposing QBs it makes us much better all around and helps get our D off the field and get Rosen more time with the ball and if next year is anything like last year with Rosen we will be relying on our D to keep us in games. Rosen is no Peyton, not even an Eli unfortunately.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am against trading down. Draft Nick Bosa with #1 pick. Trade up to pick 28-32 using 33rd pick to get a player Cardinals has a first round grade to get that 5th year option. Two first round picks without giving up much.

Bosa, CJ, P2, Budda, Mosley (in FA),DJ Swearinger, Alford, Bynes, Corey Peters, Mayowa!!!!! There is talent now to MCDGA!

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Keim has the world by the tail right now...it's his moment to shine (if he can). This draft has the opportunity to completely change the fortunes of the Cardinals, if it is done properly.
Evaluate the incoming talent - Bosa is currently ranked higher than Clowney was at DE coming out of college. The risk is if the Cards don't pick him SF 100% will....and you'll be facing him twice a season....add to it it'll be DJ Humphries trying to block him....yea that's not a contest any Cardinals fan wants to see.
Trading down in theory can work, until you look back at the Cardinals where they traded with the Ravens and the Ravens took Suggs and the Cardinals got Pace and Johnson.
GM's are made and destroyed having the 1st pick in the draft. I think Keim had the potential to do great things, but since his DUI I've seen a lot of very strange moves by him. IMO he's lost his edge and he's just a GM now rather than the shark he was.
The #1 pick and the 1st pick in round 2 are liquid gold. He could easily turn them into a fortune for the Cardinals if he plays his hand right.
I'd go into this draft with the idea that the future is not now...but another 1-2 years down the road.
I've said it 100 times on this board, the Cardinals offense isn't going anywhere until the entire O line is fixed...and I mean the entire O line. Note, great o lineman NEVER hit free agency...it's gotta be done through the draft.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keim has the world by the tail right now...it's his moment to shine (if he can). This draft has the opportunity to completely change the fortunes of the Cardinals, if it is done properly.
Evaluate the incoming talent - Bosa is currently ranked higher than Clowney was at DE coming out of college. The risk is if the Cards don't pick him SF 100% will....and you'll be facing him twice a season....add to it it'll be DJ Humphries trying to block him....yea that's not a contest any Cardinals fan wants to see.
Trading down in theory can work, until you look back at the Cardinals where they traded with the Ravens and the Ravens took Suggs and the Cardinals got Pace and Johnson.
GM's are made and destroyed having the 1st pick in the draft. I think Keim had the potential to do great things, but since his DUI I've seen a lot of very strange moves by him. IMO he's lost his edge and he's just a GM now rather than the shark he was.
The #1 pick and the 1st pick in round 2 are liquid gold. He could easily turn them into a fortune for the Cardinals if he plays his hand right.
I'd go into this draft with the idea that the future is not now...but another 1-2 years down the road.
I've said it 100 times on this board, the Cardinals offense isn't going anywhere until the entire O line is fixed...and I mean the entire O line. Note, great o lineman NEVER hit free agency...it's gotta be done through the draft.
Well we could trade down with the Raiders if they were drafting Bosa. I do not want to see Bosa playing in our division the next 10 years.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Let this all build... and then smile and draft Bosa because though I think Murray can be successful now after seeing his measurables, it's still reserved for a few teams like the Cards but Rosen has all the traits to run a quick hit and run offense that Kingsberry wants

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

He had lost his edge long before his DUI--maybe because of drinking, maybe not. My opinion is because he had some shark-like deals and got too damn full of himself. He began to think he was smarter than everyone else, and he very much isn't. He made up for it some with last year's draft, especially early. Now he has the world at his feet, draft wise. It'll start with solid free agency first. We'll see.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
He had lost his edge long before his DUI--maybe because of drinking, maybe not. My opinion is because he had some shark-like deals and got too damn full of himself. He began to think he was smarter than everyone else, and he very much isn't. He made up for it some with last year's draft, especially early. Now he has the world at his feet, draft wise. It'll start with solid free agency first. We'll see.

I 100% agree that Keim has been giving it 60 or 70% of "normal" SK the last couple of years. There just too much evidence to support this idea.

Now he's had his cage rattled, a lot, and it will help him refocus on his work.

What I'm wondering is, does he completely turn the corner? Does he revert back forever to the machine that got us C. Jones for Jonathan Cooper, and Carson Palmer for a six-pack of diet pepsi?

Or does he give 99% for 18 months or so, and then slowly descend back into the abyss?

Hope its the former, but addiction is a... well, you know.

Bottom line is that at the moment, I would trust that Keim to get us a good deal for the 1st pick.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I 100% agree that Keim has been giving it 60 or 70% of "normal" SK the last couple of years. There just too much evidence to support this idea.

Now he's had his cage rattled, a lot, and it will help him refocus on his work.

What I'm wondering is, does he completely turn the corner? Does he revert back forever to the machine that got us C. Jones for Jonathan Cooper, and Carson Palmer for a six-pack of diet pepsi?

Or does he give 99% for 18 months or so, and then slowly descend back into the abyss?

Hope its the former, but addiction is a... well, you know.

Bottom line is that at the moment, I would trust that Keim to get us a good deal for the 1st pick.

But would you trust him to use those picks? I wouldn't. And I don't want to trade out of the pick anyway. Take the #1 talent and be happy with it...and be happy your enemy doesn't get it at #2 ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave