How long have you been a Cardinal fan?

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
When I moved to Dallas, it made me even more of a Card fan. Cowboy fans were so ridiculously spoiled. I'm still a Cardinal baseball fan too.
I was 6 when I started watching with my Dad in 1972. In Oklahoma we were subjected to the stinking Cowboys every week so we were guaranteed 2 games on tv with them, then an occasional Redskin, Giants or Eagles game. Terry Metcalf was a stud! I guess that I've been watching them for 46 years. I still watch Cardinals baseball religiously.

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score
Some of my first memories are watching the Phoenix Cardinals in 91-92.(about 5 yrs old) with my grandparents. Being a Cardinals fan wasn't cool at all as a child, even in Arizona (born and raised). I cried my eyes out when we lost to the Vikings in the playoffs in 99' after beating the cowboys as a 6th seed. Still one of the most satisfying wins as a cardinals fan.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
For me, I've been one since 1967 when I lived in St. Louis and they played there. My family had season tickets and I got hooked. We moved to Texas, where I live now, and I have remained a diehard Cardinal fan to this day.

I've flown into Phoenix to watch some games and by far the highlight was taking my son to watch the win in the NFC Championship game over the Eagles in 2008. We should have beaten the Steelers in the Super Bowl, but that's another topic.

I just found this site, so curious about the rest of you...

Same year 1967.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Some of my first memories are watching the Phoenix Cardinals in 91-92.(about 5 yrs old) with my grandparents. Being a Cardinals fan wasn't cool at all as a child, even in Arizona (born and raised). I cried my eyes out when we lost to the Vikings in the playoffs in 99' after beating the cowboys as a 6th seed. Still one of the most satisfying wins as a cardinals fan.

Almost the same exact story. Became a fan in 91-92 when I was 6. I also cried during the Vikings loss. The jacke kick to get us into the playoffs prob top 3 sports memory. I was running around the whole house. Big difference from everyone here is I grew up in RI so lot of score watching on the tickers. Finally was able to buy the audio NFL package in sophomore year of high school. Just had my first son last year so I’m now trying to impose my beliefs on him. His first ever outfit home from the hospital was a cardinals onesie and we had matching Fitz jerseys for opening week this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Buddy Ryan's last season is when I converted. I specifically converted during the Cardinals-Cowboys game that was shown on Jerry Maguire.

People forget just how dark some of the times have been with this franchise. The Dave McGinness years were bad. That team had next to no talent.

OP
OP
PlanoCard

PlanoCard

Rookie
Reaction score
Same. Ever since I was a wee lad. My dad is from STL, and turned me on to the Cardinals for both football and baseball.

Broke my heart for a moment when they moved from STL to ARZ, but then I found I had no trouble at all staying 100% loyal to the franchise.

I figured if I moved, they were allowed to move too : )

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Adrian Murrell catching that little inside shuttle pass from Plummer for the TD? Yeah.. that win exorcised a lot demons.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Since 1988. My dad was stationed in Tucson at the time and wanted me to be a Redskins fan, but when he finally built up the courage to ask me who my favorite team was (I was taught to pick one team and stick with them), I was about to pick the Skins until, at that opportune moment, a commercial for the brand new "Phoenix Cardinals" came on.

Dad was pissed. :D

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
1969 for me. We were living in Columbia, MO at the time; Dad brought home a program from a Cardinals-Chiefs preseason game he went to in St. Louis. Decided right then that they were my team. (Still have the program.)

Moved to Indiana later that summer, but have remained a die-hard fan over the years, and in the 5 states where I've lived since.

(Even, including being a paid employee of the Cowboys at one point.)

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man. You're so old that on your first birthday you couldn't blow out the candles on your birthday cake because they didn't HAVE fire yet.

As for me, since 1975. Literally opened the newspaper and picked them as my team. Before that I was on the Dolphins bandwagon like a lot of the other kids in my neighborhood.
There's a point to be made here (I'm not sure what, but there is).

Perhaps it's that certain events and "signposts" that have deep meaning for us, often lurking somewhere in our deep unconscious.

The "Buckeyes" from Ohio State ("Buck" was a Western term and The Lone Ranger was my childhood hero.

Or perhaps it was my peewee QB, Bob Craft's terminology in the huddle (No "Omahas" or fancy numbers. Just simply "Single Wing Right - Schulte on a cutback off tackle)."

Or the colorful bright red Fox Meadow elementary school jerseys or the black &"white Edgewood School unis (Memo to the late Al Davis - I know deep down that the Raiders stole the Edgewood colors).

Helmets were special - Edgewood's helmets were metallic gold...the late summer's ritual,when the neighborhood kids would drop off their helmets at the Pierce's garage to have them painted for the season.

Later on in life, members of the family would enjoy large breakfasts at the Madison Delicatessin before catching the Lex subway to watch the Giants game at Yankee Stadium (last row/end zone seats). (My family members were all Giant rooters, but my eyes would be glued to the scoreboard for the latest Cardinal update).

Cardinals were so bad in the sixties that my Dad would ask me: "Why are you sitting shiva* over that bunch?" (I had no logical comeback - just kept rooting for the Cards. Still do).

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that "life chuggs merrily along but the Cards - for good or bad - will always be there as "signposts" to anchor us as we continue on our way."

* "Sitting shiva" is a Jewish tradition observed when someone close to a family dies.

Note - somewhere in the above deck of memories was an epic NJ to Arz trip to help root the Cardinals past the hated Cowboys (aka "Team Felon."). It was the game where Butthead won it for us on a bank-shot FG. Got to spend quality time with a bunch of Card fans (you know who you are). On the plane ride home (dressed in sweat-stained shorts, tee and Buddy Ryan plantation hat), I fell asleep only to be woken at the stop in Detroit by a bunch of auto industry marketing execs traveling to NYC on business. (Now I have faint knowledge of how a homeless person must feel).

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My family moved to St Louis in 1973 which was Don Coryell's first year as the Cards HC. My dad said we should be Cards fans because we lived in St Louis and because Don Coryell was going to be a great HC and the Cards would be good and fun to watch, Dad was so right.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
since 1988, when my Dad and my best friend's Dad bailed on Kol Nidre services and took us to the Cardinals first ever official regular season game on MNF against the Cowboys... which of course we lost.

Been a die-hard ever since. For reasons that are completely beyond me!

thightower34

Rookie
Reaction score
I grew up in Chicago and was a Bears fan. I moved to AZ to go to ASU in ‘87. The Cardinals moved to AZ the following year. I loved AZ and made the Cardinals my second favorite team after the Bears until Plummer and the Cardinals beat the Cowboys in the playoffs in ‘98. After that I was hooked on the Cardinals and they became my favorite team. I knew this for sure after the infamous MNF game a few years later when Denny Green had a meltdown after the Cardinals blew a big lead and lost to the Bears. I was so furious after that game.

I became a Cardinals fan in ‘98 but when the Cardinals choked on MNF I wasn’t happy the Bears won. I was angry at the embarrassing collapse of the Cardinals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson