How long have you been a Cardinal fan?

PlanoCard

Rookie
Reaction score
For me, I've been one since 1967 when I lived in St. Louis and they played there. My family had season tickets and I got hooked. We moved to Texas, where I live now, and I have remained a diehard Cardinal fan to this day.

I've flown into Phoenix to watch some games and by far the highlight was taking my son to watch the win in the NFC Championship game over the Eagles in 2008. We should have beaten the Steelers in the Super Bowl, but that's another topic.

I just found this site, so curious about the rest of you...

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
3 years (I think)

I have been to 4 Cardinals home games (2 @ SDS and 2 State Farm Staduim) rooting for the 49ers. Don't Ban Me Bro!

I want to go to more Cardinal home games but with my dad reaching his 80's it doesn't look like I'll be making any more trips to Phoenix. The drive is too hard on him.:(

abcard

Veteran
Reaction score
Grew up in far N.E. Arkansas. All our television broadcasting came from Memphis Tennessee . They broadcast St.Louis baseball and football games. I guess I started watching the Cards around 1965 or 1966. I've lived in Texas for 45 years and have never been able to become a Cowboy fan. I was an Oiler fan and keep track of the Texans and the Titans .

OP
OP
PlanoCard

PlanoCard

Rookie
Reaction score
Grew up in far N.E. Arkansas. All our television broadcasting came from Memphis Tennessee . They broadcast St.Louis baseball and football games. I guess I started watching the Cards around 1965 or 1966. I've lived in Texas for 45 years and have never been able to become a Cowboy fan. I was an Oiler fan and keep track of the Texans and the Titans .

When I moved to Dallas, it made me even more of a Card fan. Cowboy fans were so ridiculously spoiled. I'm still a Cardinal baseball fan too.

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
I'm from Phoenix, but in 86/87 I was building houses on the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri, I lived in a town called Gravios Mills "Kansas City side". Hardly anybody at all liked the Cardinals, most were Chief fans, I felt sorry for the Cardinals and made them my 2nd team behind the Bears. I was getting ready to move back to Phoenix when I heard the news, "Bears Who?" Cardinals became my number 1! Here I am, through thick and Thin.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Same. Ever since I was a wee lad. My dad is from STL, and turned me on to the Cardinals for both football and baseball.

Broke my heart for a moment when they moved from STL to ARZ, but then I found I had no trouble at all staying 100% loyal to the franchise.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I followed them when the moved here in 88, but wasn't a big fan. Started buying season tickets in 1994 with all the Buddy hype and that was more as a football fan, then necessarily a Cards fan. By 1996 or 97 I'd say I became a diehard Cards fan due to putting up with the opposing fans at SDS.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Since 1947. (72 years)?

Back then, college FB was bigger than the pros and, during the WW2 years, the military academies were big so I started out an Army (Blanchard, Davis and Arnold Gallifa) fan.

The first afternoon college football radiocasts came on right after a kids' show called "Let's Pretend" (directed/produced by Sybil Trent and Nila Mack.) First game I listened to was the Ohio State Buckeyes vs. the Iowa St. Hawkeyes.

I was a StL (baseball) fan before I rooted for the Chicago (football) Cardinals - Standard question each evening when my father returned from work: "Did the Cardinals win today?" Favorite StL Cardinal player was CF Terry Moore.

Caught up with the football Cards during their 1947, '48 championship seasons. TV had just been invented and I got to watch the Cards lose the "snow game" vs. the Eagles on our b & w TV. (Cards featured their "dream backfield" of Trippi, Angsmann, Harder and Christman. Eagle stars were Steve Van Buren, Pete Retzlaff and (I think) Pete Pihos).

Note - Single Wing football was mainly a college deal - only pro team running it was the Steelers, featuring Joe Geri. Since my uncle Edgar and older brother Jim were Yale attendees, I rooted for the Bulldogs from New Haven (QB'd by Levi Jackson) for most of the 1950's.

Pro football was kind of like college football's poor little brother, but the
NYC metro area was blessed with The NY Football Giants, the NY Yankees (Buddy Young, Spec Sanders and Arnie Weinmeinster) and the Brooklyn Dodgers (Sonny Grandelius and Bob Chappius.

Biggest upset I remember was when John Swiacki's late-game finger-tip catch of a deep pass from Lou Kusserow allowed the Columbia University Lions to beat the favored Army..

That's all I got.

Last edited:

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Since 1947. (72 years)?

Back then, college FB was bigger than the pros and, during the WW2 years, the military academies were big so I started out an Army (Blanchard, Davis and Arnold Gallifa) fan.

The first afternoon college football radiocasts came on right after a kids' show called "Let's Pretend" (directed/produced by Sybil Trent and Nila Mack.) First game I listened to was the Ohio State Buckeyes vs. the Iowa St. Hawkeyes.

I was a StL (baseball) fan before I rooted for the Chicago (football) Cardinals - Standard question each evening when my father returned from work: "Did the Cardinals win today?" Favorite StL Cardinal player was CF Terry Moore.

Caught up with the football Cards during their 1947, '48 championship seasons. TV had just been invented and I got to watch the Cards lose the "snow game" vs. the Eagles on our b & w TV. (Cards featured their "dream backfield" of Trippi, Angsmann, Harder and Christman. Eagle stars were Steve Van Buren, Pete Retzlaff and (I think) Pete Pihos).

Note - Single Wing football was mainly a college deal - only pro team running it was the Steelers, featuring Joe Geri. Since my uncle Edgar and older brother Jim were Yale attendees, I rooted for the Bulldogs from New Haven (QB'd by Levi Jackson) for most of the 1950's.

NYC metro area was blessed with The NY Football Giants, the NY Yankees (Buddy Young, Spec Sanders and Arnie Weinmeinster) and the Brooklyn Dodgers (Sonny Grandelius and Bob Chappius.

Biggest upset I remember was when John Swiacki's late-game finger-tip catch of a deep pass from Lou Kusserow allowed the Columbia University Lions to beat the favored Army..

That's all I got.
Man. You're so old that on your first birthday you couldn't blow out the candles on your birthday cake because they didn't HAVE fire yet.

As for me, since 1975. Literally opened the newspaper and picked them as my team. Before that I was on the Dolphins bandwagon like a lot of the other kids in my neighborhood.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never do this... but just had to quote your entire post and say, "WOW"! Great stuff!

...dave

Since 1947. (72 years)?

That's all I got.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since 1964-65 somewhere in there. I was living in a small town in southern New Mexico and everyone was either a Cowboy or Eagle fan. I loved the all white uni's and the bird on the helmet. I've been hooked ever since. Never rooted for another team. I did go to a game at Busch Stadium back in the 70's, can't remember when, Cards beat Packers. I'm not a historian, just a fan.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave