Who would you like to coach the Suns next season?

Who would you like to coach the Suns next season?

• Total voters

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe Sarver sees hiring a GM a failure because McD did such a lousy job. So now he see's that method as flawed. We just don't know how meddling Sarver really is, what decisions were his and/or McD's though.
I still can't see Sarver giving a GM control of Sarver's team.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I vote for “mama there goes that man” he can bring a talented joke of a team to respectability. Once they’re good he can be replaced by a real coach.

OP
OP

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I really doubt it will be "regardless" of the replacement. If we're targeting someone with experience in the NBA, then I think people will be happy, if we're targeting someone who Sarver would have to dish out money to if they want to lure away from their current job (like Jay Wright) then people will be happy. But if Sarver fires Igor and replaces him with a terrible retread (like Monty Williams) or a wildly inexperienced assistant, then I think people will see very little difference in the situation.

I'm far more concerned with the GM. I want us to hire a real GM, someone with respect and experience, let them evaluate Igor and replace him if need be.

If we fire Igor and let Sarver/Jones hire the replacement then I think it will continue our devolution and instability.

i say "regardless" of the replacement because whoever gets the job has the home-court-advantage -- the same mechanism that fans cling to now with Igor. the loyalty transfers

i also don't believe Sarver is a robot programmed to repeat his mistakes forever -- i think he can learn -- or get lucky with another cheap hire

to me, the unknown is a lot more appealing to the status quo

but i agree it would be preferable that a new GM hires a new coach

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
i also don't believe Sarver is a robot programmed to repeat his mistakes forever -- i think he can learn -- or get lucky with another cheap hire
You're right. Sarver is not a robot programmed to repeat his mistakes forever. He is an egomaniac programmed to repeat his mistakes forever. What you see is what you get!

How I would like to see Suns management relying on skill rather than getting lucky. The odds are he is not going to succeed with "another cheap hire".

With his record of chaos and failure, how can anyone condone that?

OP
OP

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
With his record of chaos and failure, how can anyone condone that?

we have no choice if he's still not willing to invest in a good coach and he's only willing to replace Igor cheaply now or not replace him at all.

keeping Igor is actually his most costly option (lack of ticket, ad, merchandise and playoff revenue) and the deterioration of team moral, misguidance of our most promising players, loss of our best players, not being able to sign free agents, etc..

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
How does Mannequin Igor have more than 50% of the vote here?

Worst coach in Suns history

Clearly has absolutely ZERO ability to connect with his team emotionally

I agree totally with this post.

I cannot even rate him ahead of John Wooden "Yoga Man" Watson.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
Tom Thibodeau is another coach we should seriously consider. This team desperately needs a disciplinarian.

He is the most over rated head coach in the league. I think he is going to find it very difficult for him to get another head coach job in the league. If he does I hope it is not in Phoenix. He can be an assitant but not the head coach.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@JustWinBaby

How about that coach in Houston. It seems like such a long time ago.

Fifty win seasons doesn't seem so bad anymore.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
I o
@JustWinBaby

How about that coach in Houston. It seems like such a long time ago.

Fifty win seasons doesn't seem so bad anymore.

Ain't that the truth. I hope all the haters for MDA, have enjoyed watching this team for the past 10 years. Houston is very happy with Mike and Mike I expect is happy in Houston.

I know it is just a dream but why not reach out to Jerry Colangelo for some guidance and decision making when picking the correct GM to run this franchise? I do not know if Sarver even talks to Jerry. But Jerry left the store in very good order and Sarver has destroyed it. I also expect that Jerry has a lot of great connections in the league to reach out to. Forget it, that would be too sensible.

I am with Phrazbit on this issue. While I am certainly not a fan of Koko, I have far more concerns with Jones and Sarver making the decision for his replacement.

This franchise is such a mess. What a shame.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I o

Ain't that the truth. I hope all the haters for MDA, have enjoyed watching this team for the past 10 years. Houston is very happy with Mike and Mike I expect is happy in Houston.

I know it is just a dream but why not reach out to Jerry Colangelo for some guidance and decision making when picking the correct GM to run this franchise? I do not know if Sarver even talks to Jerry. But Jerry left the store in very good order and Sarver has destroyed it. I also expect that Jerry has a lot of great connections in the league to reach out to. Forget it, that would be too sensible.

I am with Phrazbit on this issue. While I am certainly not a fan of Koko, I have far more concerns with Jones and Sarver making the decision for his replacement.

Even this franchise couldn't blow this years#1. Cross fingers. :clapping:

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
Even this franchise couldn't blow this years#1. Cross fingers. :clapping:

Does this mean that you think we should have chosen Doncic.That isn't even a concern for me. I preferred Doncic but I liked Ayton as well.

I am more concerned with the growth of our team and players. I do not see much to like. I am more concerned with whom we sign in free agency, have not seen a good one in a while. I am more concerned with the trades we make. Have not seen a good trade in a while.

Thus I am really concerned with our front office and head coach. Building a team is far more than drafting the correct player every year.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
I o

Yea, the days when our biggest complaint was 50 and fade are sorely missed.

The chances of bringing JC back are slim to none. Sarver has a huge ego and bringing JC back would be an admission that he failed. Not to mention I doubt JC has any desire to work for sarver.

If Igor is fired Jones will probably be the GM and coach.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I o

The Suns are experiencing bad times for sure. Sometimes a team has to hit rock bottom to realize what they had. The sad part is there no Jerry Colangelo to put this team back together.

Can James Jones put the Suns back together again, I'm skeptical.

The fans long for stability and this is one of the reasons they cling to Kokoskov. Best case scenario is he grows with the team. I like him as a person and I think he can coach but he is probably a better assistant coach than a head coach. The fear is if the Suns change head coaches there is a good chance they hire someone worse and start over again.

What a mess. I wish Sarver would sell the team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Igor is fired Jones will probably be the GM and coach.

I haven't really thought much about this option but it fits... Jones being the Suns next head coach in waiting.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I haven't really thought much about this option but it fits... Jones being the Suns next head coach in waiting.
It is going to take more than status quo in-house management to lift the Suns out of the doldrums. Regardless of which position they occupy.

Treading water when you're twenty feet under isn't going to get you to the surface.

OP
OP

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sir Charles is not even an adequate TV analyst. What his bluntness has added to the broadcasts has long been outweighed by his bluster and adolescent chiding of colleagues. Most notably the All-Star game has been turned into one big goof with him and the other player announcers more focused on themselves than the All-Star players or events (they barely evened mentioned what was happening on the court when Lebron's team was erasing a 25 pt deficit in 5 minutes).

his banner hanging in the rafters is the only Chuck presence i can tolerate

OP
OP

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
questions?

1. how did the Suns lose to the worst team in the league, with less talent, and it wasn't close?
2. how did Tyler get yet another start, averaging under 20% shooting and 4 assists with the Suns? Will they have to waive Tyler to stop Igor from starting him, like they did Canaan?
3. how did our coach not call any plays to exploit Love's 4th foul after the Cav's coach didn't pull him in the 2nd quarter? (while Igor pulled Booker with 4 mid 3rd)
4. how can anyone not be embarrassed to still defend this coach?

Igor shows no signs of learning after 18 years -- at all.

the look on his face in the 4th
and the camera getting shots of that look
tells you everything you need to know about Igor's future with the Suns

the only question now is WHEN?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
You can’t bring Igor back under these conditions. Like, at all.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Reminds me of Wilks... at a certain point you can't let a team be poisoned by a choice a previous regime made... Igor IS NOT the answer... period......

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Anyone but Igor.

This team needs a coach with a short leash that emphasizes disciplin and hard work and can get through to his players.

Igor looks like he lost this team for weeks now, cant prepare them to come out with full effort.

He‘d be long fired if the Suns didnt have so much instability already

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
The suns need a big name GM too come in and pick Igor's replacement this off season. This will at least give the appearance of a coherent plan and change of direction.

I don't see how they can risk having to fire Igor 15 games into next season.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Reminds me of Wilks... at a certain point you can't let a team be poisoned by a choice a previous regime made... Igor IS NOT the answer... period......

Regarding the Suns, I question referring to a previous regime. It is all on Sarver's watch.

Regardless of who his low cost, inexperienced turnover of General Manager and Head Coach lackeys are.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Igor has to go. There is no sense in keeping him. He can’t coach. He brings nothing to the table. Sure the Suns have other problems but Igor is a big one.

Franchise record losing streak at this point and headed for the lottery. Suns have nothing to lose at this point.....except more games.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am watching this team, and I marvel that we do not start EVERY offensive posession with a touch by Ayton in the low post. A coach is supposed to use his assets to his best advantage. Also, on defense, obviously our strength is playing the passing lanes for steals, and hustle defense. Whatever needs to make that more consistent is a priority. Either Igor doesn't have the horses, or is not getting them to follow his system, or his system is not working in the NBA. I know succesful teams have continuity with coaches. I just don't think we found the right one.