2019 Draft Prospects...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If i am Zion, I play. I mean how many people get to play in a sweet 16, an elite 8, possibly the final four? If Zion, blows out an ACL, he will still be the #1 pick in the draft. College is the best time of anyone's life regardless if you are a one and done.

Sure, i understand the financial side of the argument. But boy, it would be hard for any person to sit out march madness when your team has a chance to win it all, solely because you had a freak injury which has amounted to being less severe than a sprained ankle.

Doesn't play= #1 pick
Play= #1 pick

I think ZW is not from the same mold as a lot of these entitled young phenoms. No chance he doesn't play to help his freshman boys become one of the best college basketball teams ever.

I always used to be on the other side of this argument but I wouldn't play another second of college ball if I were Zion. Healthy he's looking at possibly a billion dollar career and I would do nothing to unnecessarily jeopardize that. He has the first slot locked up so playing ball now qualifies as unnecessary IMO.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Its going to be a bidding war of epic proportions by the shoe companies. Nike will have no choice but to out bid everyone. No way Nike can let him sign with another company. It will probably go down as the most profitable injury in history. Your probably right about a billion dollar career.

I would not play another second of college ball.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think not playing might actually hurt Zion more than playing, physically. Everyone acknowledges he's a big kid but he's shown that is not something that hinders his style of play, if anything it helps him. If he quits playing then he would need to find another way to stay in shape. Playing basketball is one of the ways he's been working out lately. If he's no longer playing for Duke would they let him train with their staff and practice with the team? I doubt it. Why should they allow him to do that when he's not willing to help them win a national championship.

I know he could play pickup basketball and get a trainer of his own but pickup ball could be more dangerous for him and wouldn't be the same sort of workout. If he gets hurt away from the cameras then that could hurt him more also, for some reason injuries on the court are accepted as an unfortunate inevitability but when a player gets hurt outside of a game, even if it was a private game, there are a ton of questions as to what he was doing and why. It's odd how that happens. He'd be risking similar injury playing pickup ball without the benefits of playing with a full training staff and coach helping him also.

I think with a kid like Zion the best thing for him is to continue playing. He doesn't seem the type to take sitting out that well either. The kid has a lot of fire and if he can play then I think he will play.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Knicks won meaning the sun's have the worst record again, doesn't improve their odds but at least as of now they can't fall further than 5

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would our chances of the #1 pick improve if the team that finishes with the 3rd worst record ties with the 4th? I know the bottom 3 teams share the same odds but in tie breakers for lottery picks they would add both teams odds together and split them between the two. So I think that is a way we could higher odds but of course planning the 3 and 4 bottom teams have the same record is something entirely out of hands.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If i am Zion, I play. I mean how many people get to play in a sweet 16, an elite 8, possibly the final four? If Zion, blows out an ACL, he will still be the #1 pick in the draft. College is the best time of anyone's life regardless if you are a one and done.

Sure, i understand the financial side of the argument. But boy, it would be hard for any person to sit out march madness when your team has a chance to win it all, solely because you had a freak injury which has amounted to being less severe than a sprained ankle.

Doesn't play= #1 pick
Play= #1 pick

I think ZW is not from the same mold as a lot of these entitled young phenoms. No chance he doesn't play to help his freshman boys become one of the best college basketball teams ever.

I think that even if he got hurt he would still likely be the #1 pick. Also, I think any thought of Duke going down as one of the "greatest college teams ever" is already out the window, they could run the table and the 3 loses they've already got would exclude them from the conversation, they wouldn't even be the best Duke team ever.

But, hypothetically speaking, lets say he blew out his knee, big time, like Shaun Livingston style, and he's given a recovery time of over a year, and on top of that, as a result of being unable to be as active as he is accustomed to he starts to get out of shape, teams interviewing him prior to the draft can tell he's not only larger but he's lost muscle mass. I can absolutely see teams passing on a dude who, hypothetically, is over 300 pounds at 6'7" and coming off a devastating knee injury.

The only hangup I can see teams having on Zion is his weight and if he gets even bigger and is a year away from playing, I can totally see him falling in the draft. If he just loves playing college ball, then he should play, do what he loves, but if he values being the top pick of the draft and ensuring his career, then he should sit out.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would our chances of the #1 pick improve if the team that finishes with the 3rd worst record ties with the 4th? I know the bottom 3 teams share the same odds but in tie breakers for lottery picks they would add both teams odds together and split them between the two. So I think that is a way we could higher odds but of course planning the 3 and 4 bottom teams have the same record is something entirely out of hands.

Our chances wouldn't change at all, the only change would be among the tied teams, sharing the odds of the 3rd/4th picks.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
He should be playing. Not playing is a losers mentality. Perfect way to start his Suns career. Losing begets losing.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He should be playing. Not playing is a losers mentality. Perfect way to start his Suns career. Losing begets losing.

Yeah let's see you risk something along the lines of a billion dollars for the thrill of playing college ball and maybe someone will listen to you. There is no real reason for Zion to play another minute of college ball.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
Yeah let's see you risk something along the lines of a billion dollars for the thrill of playing college ball and maybe someone will listen to you. There is no real reason for Zion to play another minute of college ball.

He made a commitment to the university to play for the school, which includes the upcoming tournament. How else could he showcase his skills for that billion dollars?? What if this injury occurred 36 seconds into his first collegiate game? Would you invest billions of dollars in a 36 second career. This is so stupid. Maybe the games should be all played on NBA2K. That way no one gets hurt. And yes, not playing is a losers mentality.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He made a commitment to the university to play for the school, which includes the upcoming tournament. How else could he showcase his skills for that billion dollars?? What if this injury occurred 36 seconds into his first collegiate game? Would you invest billions of dollars in a 36 second career. This is so stupid. Maybe the games should be all played on NBA2K. That way no one gets hurt. And yes, not playing is a losers mentality.

Talk is cheap. You can get up on your high horse because there is no consequence to you. But for Zion, he could possibly miss out on an opportunity to have the kind of wealth that most of us can only dream about - the kind of money that will take care of you and your family for generations to come.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
Talk is cheap. You can get up on your high horse because there is no consequence to you. But for Zion, he could possibly miss out on an opportunity to have the kind of wealth that most of us can only dream about - the kind of money that will take care of you and your family for generations to come.

That’s ok. You didn’t answer the questions (nor did you have to). I stick with my opinion that the option of sitting out is weak and a loser mentality. No need to argue.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
All this money aside, what Zion really needs to do is come out and publicly state he will only play for the Sun's so other teams stay away from him!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he doesn't play, both the NBA and NCAA need to rethink the entire one and done policy. It is not working for either group.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Didn't that happen to Michael Porter Jr last year? He ended up falling in the draft to #14, I believe. Prior to last year's collegiate season though he was talked about as a potential #1 pick. The injury ended up costing him millions but he still got drafted and signed a guaranteed contract worth millions. When he does debut we'll see how he looks but missing what should have been their rookie season didn't effect Embiid, Ben Simmons, or Blake Griffin that much. They're all considered superstars now and in Blake's case he's made hundreds of millions of dollars already. It's not hard to see Simmons and Embiid doing the same as they get older.

I don't think sitting out will hurt Zion that much so long as he's willing to work out for teams privately. It may cost him the #1 overall spot but he won't fall further than 3 or 4, if even that.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If he doesn't play, both the NBA and NCAA need to rethink the entire one and done policy. It is not working for either group.
The one and done has been a joke from day one. Zion playing or not playing has nothing to do with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It's already done with, the changes just are not coming into effect for a couple years.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think sitting out will hurt Zion that much so long as he's willing to work out for teams privately. It may cost him the #1 overall spot but he won't fall further than 3 or 4, if even that.

Seriously, if all his body parts are still attached I can't see him falling even one spot. IMO the gap between him and the next prospect is similar to the gap between Anthony Davis and Michael K-G.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seriously, if all his body parts are still attached I can't see him falling even one spot. IMO the gap between him and the next prospect is similar to the gap between Anthony Davis and Michael K-G.

The issue I can see with him sitting is letting his weight become a problem. If he's over 3 bills when the draft comes around then that will cause a team to question the choice. Nobody wants an Anthony Bennett type of pick, which he could be if he lets himself get that out of shape. I don't think it's likely because I don't believe he'll sit out any tournament games. If he misses a game or two before then that's not a big deal.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The issue I can see with him sitting is letting his weight become a problem. If he's over 3 bills when the draft comes around then that will cause a team to question the choice. Nobody wants an Anthony Bennett type of pick, which he could be if he lets himself get that out of shape. I don't think it's likely because I don't believe he'll sit out any tournament games. If he misses a game or two before then that's not a big deal.

Can't buy it. Sure, things can happen but Zion is the number one pick unless something very extreme happens. Even at 350 pounds he'd be my first pick and since he has a great work ethic I think it's incredibly unlikely that he'll start on the Oliver Miller diet.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even an ACL or Achilles would not drop Zion from #1. It would take them finding arthritis or a chronic back problem or something.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When you actually look at Zion, he is not fat at all. That kid is just a muscular freak. I don’t see him putting on a bunch of fat between now and the draft

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even an ACL or Achilles would not drop Zion from #1. It would take them finding arthritis or a chronic back problem or something.

Yeah the combination of his incredible performance to date and the lack of quality high-end prospects in this class make him a sure-fire number one pick barring something significant.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I agree. I was concerned when I initially heard about him but I once I saw him a few times I could tell that he was solid, for the most part. There isn't a lot of fat on his body, he's just built big. That doesn't mean that his weight won't be an issue at the next stage. I don't suspect it will be so long as he stays healthy and motivated but we'll have to wait and see. What I suggested was if he decided to hang up the sneakers now instead of playing out the rest of his collegiate season. Because he is a big kid already he will have to be careful not to let himself go. If he ends up sitting out for the next 5 months then his weight could be an issue. I didn't say for certain that it would be an issue though. I simply pointed out one reason he shouldn't sit out.

I know Oliver Miller has been mentioned already but I wouldn't even compare him to Miller. I think things could go the same way they did for Shawn Kemp, who was a freak athlete in his college and early NBA days also. Kemp let himself go really bad during the lockout in the 90's and ended up being completely out of shape when he was in Cleveland later in his career because he didn't have basketball during that downtime to keep him engaged and busy. I would hate to see Zion throw away a potentially amazing career at his age. I don't think he will but it is a possibility, that's all. Some people act like there's no way he won't be the next big thing in the NBA and even though it's likely he will be that doesn't mean it's a sure thing.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some people act like there's no way he won't be the next big thing in the NBA and even though it's likely he will be that doesn't mean it's a sure thing.

Sorry but I don't think that's happening here. I think I've been the most vocal about him since October or so and I've mentioned many times that anything can happen and that there are no sure things. But you were trying to say that he might go 3rd or 4th because he could put on weight and while that's a possibility, something like that is a possibility for every player in the draft. I just don't think he's a likely candidate to go that way and I doubt the NBA teams looking at him will let it affect their decision making. I think he's a sure thing to go number one barring something major and I think he's a good bet to have a Hall of Fame career. Not a sure thing, just a better bet than most top prospects most years.