The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers demise has been one of the most entertaining things for me in this year’s NBA season.

It's something in which to seek comfort but I'd prefer the Suns be good rather than looking for misery as company.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Draymond was at it again last night although IMO it was largely a take one for the team situation. Kerr had been furious since earlier in the game where Curry got clobbered on a 3, shot it left handed to get it off, and the ref called it a non shooting foul, and then gave Lillard 2 ft's 10 seconds later for the same thing at the other end(but he tossed it up righty). Later Durant shoved Nurkic, Nurkic hit Draymond in the back of the head with an elbow(they called hooking on him but no flagrant on review).

Finally Klay got mad at Zach Collins got an offensive foul for clearing him out they had to be separated running downcourt, Collins pushed Jerebko no call. And then in what seemed to me like a set play, the path cleared, Collins drove the lane and Draymond stopped him. It was clearly a foul, probably intentional, but Kerr went nuts anyways when they called it a flagrant and Kerr got ejected was out on the court screaming. Close game became a Blazers rout. I have no doubt Draymond basically told the guys let him drive I'll teach him a lesson for whatever Collins did(I didn't see that part).

If somehow Klay does leave for LA I sure hope Lillard decides to come home and replace him he was terrific again last night. I think he and Curry could play well together.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So Draymond was at it again last night although IMO it was largely a take one for the team situation. Kerr had been furious since earlier in the game where Curry got clobbered on a 3, shot it left handed to get it off, and the ref called it a non shooting foul, and then gave Lillard 2 ft's 10 seconds later for the same thing at the other end(but he tossed it up righty). Later Durant shoved Nurkic, Nurkic hit Draymond in the back of the head with an elbow(they called hooking on him but no flagrant on review).

Finally Klay got mad at Zach Collins got an offensive foul for clearing him out they had to be separated running downcourt, Collins pushed Jerebko no call. And then in what seemed to me like a set play, the path cleared, Collins drove the lane and Draymond stopped him. It was clearly a foul, probably intentional, but Kerr went nuts anyways when they called it a flagrant and Kerr got ejected was out on the court screaming. Close game became a Blazers rout. I have no doubt Draymond basically told the guys let him drive I'll teach him a lesson for whatever Collins did(I didn't see that part).

If somehow Klay does leave for LA I sure hope Lillard decides to come home and replace him he was terrific again last night. I think he and Curry could play well together.
Wait--are you advocating Lillard to the Warriors?

OMG, get outta here with that noise. :)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait--are you advocating Lillard to the Warriors?

OMG, get outta here with that noise. :)

I'm saying if Klay really wants to go home to LA, and I don't know if he does, it would be very cool if Lillard wanted to go home to replace him. I have no delusions it's going to happen he's still got 2 years left after this year on his contract, even if Durant is gone and Boogie it's unlikely. Just saying if any of the players rumored to be wanting to go home actually happens, would love one to be him. I would suspect it's more likely Curry goes home to Charlotte and Lillard ends up in Oakland then.

Lillard is a cool story I saw him play in HS and asked about him on a UCLA board I post on. At the time one of the mods was a scout for that site and had posted a list of guards and he had Lillard rated much higher than anybody else did. He said he thought the entire Pac whatever had missed the boat but at the time he had Jrue Holiday, Malcolm Lee and Jerime Anderson(all went to UCLA same year) all rated ahead of Lillard. Every now and then people on that site give him credit for discovering Lillard and he always points out look I liked him better than most but I had THREE UCLA guards rated ahead of him in that class and he was better than any of them, I was not right on Lillard. Not saying I had him being this good either just that my question at the time was how come he didn't end up in the Pac 12 he's really good.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just read a story where Lillard said he's one of many Oakland natives unhappy the Warriors are moving closer to SF. Said as a kid he'd get into the games cheap with family and then get free food and stuff. Said real Warriors fans can't afford to attend the games now.

So I'm guessing he's not particularly interested in coming home.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm saying if Klay really wants to go home to LA, and I don't know if he does, it would be very cool if Lillard wanted to go home to replace him. I have no delusions it's going to happen he's still got 2 years left after this year on his contract, even if Durant is gone and Boogie it's unlikely. Just saying if any of the players rumored to be wanting to go home actually happens, would love one to be him. I would suspect it's more likely Curry goes home to Charlotte and Lillard ends up in Oakland then.

Lillard is a cool story I saw him play in HS and asked about him on a UCLA board I post on. At the time one of the mods was a scout for that site and had posted a list of guards and he had Lillard rated much higher than anybody else did. He said he thought the entire Pac whatever had missed the boat but at the time he had Jrue Holiday, Malcolm Lee and Jerime Anderson(all went to UCLA same year) all rated ahead of Lillard. Every now and then people on that site give him credit for discovering Lillard and he always points out look I liked him better than most but I had THREE UCLA guards rated ahead of him in that class and he was better than any of them, I was not right on Lillard. Not saying I had him being this good either just that my question at the time was how come he didn't end up in the Pac 12 he's really good.

Klay recently said he wants to retire as a Warrior so I don't see him leaving, at least as long as Curry is there. I can't see him being the first out the door and trade rumors don't involve him anymore so I can't see him as a Shawn Marion type that feels slighted he's always the piece rumored to be on the move.

As far as Lillard going to the Warriors, I would be shocked if that happens. He has said he's not a fan of them moving to SF as he's an Oakland native but he's talked up his team in Portland quite a bit and considers that his new homes. He also has bashed super teams repeatedly and while some players have done that only to join one later, I think Lillard is different. He has his own team that is competing and I think that's all he wants, a chance, and the Blazers have an outside shot of upsetting anyone. Since they didn't blow things up I don't see him moving in free agency so long as they keep him surrounded by some sort of talent. Even if he were to leave Portland I think he'd go the Kyrie route of wanting his own team elsewhere rather than riding someone's coattails. Lillard is probably my favorite NBA player that is not affiliated with the Suns so I've read and seen a lot of interviews with him and I would be shocked if he pulled a KD and joined the Warriors or another superteam.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, this is odd timing...

Supposedly, ownership was "livid" after AD got hurt...How did they not see that one coming?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
"Overhaul". "Search for a GM to take command". "Reshaping of team's future".

Did you read that, Mr. Sarver?

The owner didn't say she is the answer. But she is willing to hire someone who will be.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Pretty fascinating breakdown of Tim Donaghy scandal, for those who have never read much about it. Amazing that the NBA continues to bury its head in the sand and pretend it never really "affected" the outcome of any games. Undoubtedly, Donaghy was not the only referee who ever has (or is) doing this... and no way is the NBA the only sport where it has and will happen. Once interstate sports betting is legalized, I don't know if you will be able to fully trust the results of ANY sporting event.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25980368/how-former-ref-tim-donaghy-conspired-fix-nba-games

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Once interstate sports betting is legalized, I don't know if you will be able to fully trust the results of ANY sporting event.

We already can't trust NBA and NFL results. Even without gambling, there's too much money involved. Ever since Stern, the NBA has been about protecting the brands of its stars, because that money flows back to the league. It's been at least twenty years since I believed in the integrity of the NBA product.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty fascinating breakdown of Tim Donaghy scandal, for those who have never read much about it. Amazing that the NBA continues to bury its head in the sand and pretend it never really "affected" the outcome of any games. Undoubtedly, Donaghy was not the only referee who ever has (or is) doing this... and no way is the NBA the only sport where it has and will happen. Once interstate sports betting is legalized, I don't know if you will be able to fully trust the results of ANY sporting event.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25980368/how-former-ref-tim-donaghy-conspired-fix-nba-games

Yeah I read that too. I had no idea they were winning more than 80% of the games he was tipping them on, no wonder he eventually got caught it's just too high a number to not get noticed by someone eventually.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

:shrug:

Watching the video is like pouring salt on an open wound.

The Spurs always seemed to have the advantage against the Suns. Part of it was the officiating.

I'm always in the minority but I wish the Suns had paid to keep D'Antoni.

They even had a chance to rehire him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We already can't trust NBA and NFL results. Even without gambling, there's too much money involved. Ever since Stern, the NBA has been about protecting the brands of its stars, because that money flows back to the league. It's been at least twenty years since I believed in the integrity of the NBA product.
Why are you still a fan? Seriously. I am getting close to where you are, but once I am convinced it’s fixed, I think I am gone for good.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Why are you still a fan? Seriously. I am getting close to where you are, but once I am convinced it’s fixed, I think I am gone for good.

I rarely watch anymore. I still have a couple of fantasy teams, but I don't follow the league anywhere as closely as I used to. My posting frequency in this forum has also gone way down.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man are the Kings fun to watch these days. They've played the Warriors 4 tims this year, lost all 4 but all 4 have been great gams. they play so fast. Bagley was terrific last night, when he first got in Durant was killinghim, kept stripping him when he turned and exposed the ball, 4 times in the first half. But Bagley still put up 17 points in the half and finished with 28 and 14 boards. The Warriors did start attacking him on defense in the 2nd half. The box says Durant had 7 blocks at least 4 of those were strips they called blocks instead of steals. The Kings gameplan was find Boogie Cousins, make him play defense lather rinse repeat. Fox had another really good game where unfortunately for him he didn't play well down the stretch when it came down to it Curry made bigger plays but man is Fox good and going to be great. He's improved his shot quite a bit 2-4 on 3's last night and 3 of the 4 looked good all the way.

From what they were saying last night the Kings might let Cauley Stein walk after this year which is an interesting gamble on the knees of Harry Giles holding up

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I know most people here think of him as a clueless idiot but I don’t care, he’s by far the best sports TV personality in America.

NFL, NHL, MLB etc wishes they had someone half as good as Barkley.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I know most people here think of him as a clueless idiot but I don’t care, he’s by far the best sports TV personality in America.

NFL, NHL, MLB etc wishes they had someone half as good as Barkley.

No we don't. We think of him as entertainment, pure entertainment. He's often times a clown or a buffoon but he's not a simpleton. I think he's fairly bright but IMO he does NOT put any work in for his TNT job. He frequently ends up showing how little he knows and understands about the NBA today, but that doesn't make him an idiot.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No we don't. We think of him as entertainment, pure entertainment. He's often times a clown or a buffoon but he's not a simpleton. I think he's fairly bright but IMO he does NOT put any work in for his TNT job. He frequently ends up showing how little he knows and understands about the NBA today, but that doesn't make him an idiot.

he's easily the most entertaining part of that show and probably in basketball at this point.