Suns @ Cavaliers 2-21-19

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do they though? That's been said multiple times throughout the year but it seems they keep losing regardless. There are a couple of players that have NBA talent but most of those guys are young and inconsistent. Igor said after the game that it's no longer an opinion that the Suns are one of the worst teams in the league, that it's now a fact. I have to agree with him. How much blame falls on his shoulders is debatable but the Suns suck, there's no getting around that.

Here's Duane Rankin with that quote also...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I read that quote. I'm not quite sure what to make of it. The Suns play that bad for sure.

However, I'm not sure because Kokoskov says it, it makes it a fact.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’m contemplating the point of canning Igor if they’re going to hire another rookie/cheap coach. It will be Groundhog Day but I suppose you have to keep trying...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m contemplating the point of canning Igor if they’re going to hire another rookie/cheap coach. It will be Groundhog Day but I suppose you have to keep trying...

That's the whole thing. If the Suns change head coaches again they need to get it right.

I have no confidence that will happen so it becomes an infinite loop.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This sheds some light on the outcome.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And this from Duane Rankin. It talks about a lack of focus.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Replacing the coach won't help their chemistry. It would be foolish to make that move now. What would be the point? To try and go on a run that gets out of the bottom 3 in ping pong balls? I don't see the point in firing a coach because of chemistry issues in the first place but firing a coach now that the season is all but over, and we don't have a decent replacement, it would be a mistake.

Sometimes you just have to send a message

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And this from Duane Rankin. It talks about a lack of focus.

Screw them. They’re not playing hard. They’re not putting in the study time if they can’t figure it out. And Ayton getting lit up by another scrub again doesn’t help. Cue the Ayton apologists . . .

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Screw them. They’re not playing hard. They’re not putting in the study time if they can’t figure it out. And Ayton getting lit up by another scrub again doesn’t help. Cue the Ayton apologists . . .

Apparently the Suns have a reputation around the NBA.

From a Duane Rankin article today:

Oubre said he needed to see film before determining how Phoenix lost this one, but he brought up a point Tyler Johnson made to the team that has stuck with him.

"When teams think of the Suns, they think let's just play hard for 48 minutes because they'll give up because they don't know how to win," Oubre Jr. said.

Johnson came in a trade from Miami, which is known for playing hard.

Based on what Oubre said, Phoenix has a different rep.

"This is unacceptable," Oubre later said. "For another team to say about us, it doesn't feel good. We've just got to find our identity and build a culture in Phoenix. We can do it. We have the talent. It's about going out there and having the will to win."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...s-cavaliers-losing-streak-hits-16/2944294002/

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We get it you don’t like him.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sometimes you just have to send a message

well, yes, that too.

when a team keeps establishing new rock bottoms management needs to do SOMETHING to show fans, players, and the league they're trying!

but then, this is tank time
and i don't believe there's a better coach in the league for that
so i can wait 24 more games
but i don't have to watch

i just cancelled my SlingTV
i'll do some radio and watch what i can at the gym

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Oubre said he needed to see film before determining how Phoenix lost this one, but he brought up a point Tyler Johnson made to the team that has stuck with him.

That's pretty rich coming from a guy shooting 8%. Everyone on the team sucks, and everyone wants to blame everyone else for sucking in some way that they believe they do not personally suck. Tyler's Johnson may think he plays hard, but all he does is shoot blanks, and that doesn't help either.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It’s always a good strategy to attack fans of the same team simply because you’re angry. Aren’t we all upset about this situation? Why make it more than it is with the “I told you so” attack?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Anyone notice how the team's already bad play has become significantly worse since the trade for Tyler Johnson?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I read that quote. I'm not quite sure what to make of it. The Suns play that bad for sure.

However, I'm not sure because Kokoskov says it, it makes it a fact.

I don't think it matters whether Kokoskov says it or not, our record says it and so does our 16 game losing streak. Our loss tonight helped emphasize it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's pretty rich coming from a guy shooting 8%. Everyone on the team sucks, and everyone wants to blame everyone else for sucking in some way that they believe they do not personally suck. Tyler's Johnson may think he plays hard, but all he does is shoot blanks, and that doesn't help either.

Apparently you took that differently than I did. I don't think Johnson was saying anything that didn't need to be said. He is the last guy that joined the team and after having played 2/3 of the season in Miami he had the ability to tell his new teammates about how they're viewed by another team. I don't think Johnson is saying anything absolving himself of blame for how he's played here, he's now contributing to the losing culture here and needs to help snap the team out of it. I think he knows he's sucked while he's been here though.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Apparently you took that differently than I did.

It sure looks that way.

I don't think Johnson was saying anything that didn't need to be said.

It didn't need to be said by him.

He is the last guy that joined the team and after having played 2/3 of the season in Miami he had the ability to tell his new teammates about how they're viewed by another team.

A team that has lost 16 in a row already knows perfectly well what the league thinks of them.

I don't think Johnson is saying anything absolving himself of blame for how he's played here, he's now contributing to the losing culture here and needs to help snap the team out of it.

Then he should shut his yap and help the team win on the floor. You don't accomplish that by bricking every shot you take.

I think he knows he's sucked while he's been here though.

Let's hope so, or his self-awareness is even worse than I thought.

Aiden

Reaction score
Right now the Clippers have the last playoff spot in the West and they have 32 wins. If we win our last 23 games we would finish with 34 wins, so, no, there is no chance for the playoffs this season.
What a pity!!

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, at least we're only 12.5 games out of fourteenth place in the conference though. So we've got that going for us....

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Ayton but Ouchie isn't wrong here. Ayton puts up numbers but doesn't positively impact the game the way you'd expect him to. I still believe he'll have a great career but he has to learn how to be a factor on every play, not just every now and then.

He also has a coach who just has no interest in using him. Hell this whole team doesn’t make an impact

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I took it as Johnson was giving his opinion of how other teams view the Suns. He should have an idea as he is a recent arrival. I don't think he was pointing fingers.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I took it as Johnson was giving his opinion of how other teams view the Suns. He should have an idea as he is a recent arrival. I don't think he was pointing fingers.

You put that in a much better way than I tried to. I agree with that 100%. I definitely didn't take it as he was looking down on anyone or trying to separate himself from any blame for the team's poor play.