What is the plan?

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I'm not as smitten with Zion as some of the rest of you are. But that said, I am hoping that we get lucky enough to get him in the draft. We need that third wheel to go with Booker and Ayton, and I think he would put us over the top as having the best future in the league.

All of which means we probably have a snowball's chance. We are no longer the Chicago Cubs of the NBA... we are the Phoenix Suns of ALL professional sports franchises.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of which means we probably have a snowball's chance. We are no longer the Chicago Cubs of the NBA... we are the Phoenix Suns of ALL professional sports franchises.

We've had a bad 9 year stretch but there are plenty of NBA teams that have had even worse stretches. Even with this horrible stretch we're still in the top 10 all time NBA winning percentages. And while we're all disappointed that we have no titles, there are plenty of sports franchises that have gone as long or longer without winning it all (Arizona Cardinals, Indians, Lions, Vikings, Astros, Chargers, Bills, Falcons, Maple Leafs, Blues, Atlanta Hawks, Browns and Bengals).

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Can always count on you Steve for much needed optimism....Lets keep our fingers crossed for the #1.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can always count on you Steve for much needed optimism....Lets keep our fingers crossed for the #1.

I don't really think of that as optimism, there's no way to hide the fact we've never won a championship and that we are mired in our worst stretch ever. But we're not exactly unique, there are a lot of fans that share our misery. But I agree, I have everything crossed that will cross. Zion won't fix all our problems but he'd be a big part of the solution.

Raindog

Reaction score
We've had a bad 9 year stretch but there are plenty of NBA teams that have had even worse stretches. Even with this horrible stretch we're still in the top 10 all time NBA winning percentages. And while we're all disappointed that we have no titles, there are plenty of sports franchises that have gone as long or longer without winning it all (Arizona Cardinals, Indians, Lions, Vikings, Astros, Chargers, Bills, Falcons, Maple Leafs, Blues, Atlanta Hawks, Browns and Bengals).

Actually, the Astros won a championship just two years ago. And some of the other teams have at least won a championship (if not multiple) at some point in their history - the Vikings, Chargers, Falcons, Bills, Blues, Bengals all being exceptions, I think.

But more to the point, I don't think any of them are currently as hapless as the Suns... maybe the Hawks.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, the Astros won a championship just two years ago. And some of the other teams have at least won a championship (if not multiple) at some point in their history - the Vikings, Chargers, Falcons, Bills, Blues, Bengals all being exceptions, I think.

But more to the point, I don't think any of them are currently as hapless as the Suns... maybe the Hawks.

Yeah, I was working off of a list I found and remembered to remove Philadelphia but forgot about Houston. And yes, I know some of them have won championships but trust me, those fans aren't running around saying thank heaven we at least won a championship 80 years ago. Hell, Lakers fans start whining if they go a few years without one (some whine even when they win the title).

But yes, if you just mean it's our turn at the bottom, I'd agree. I thought you were building to something else though from your earlier post.

Raindog

Reaction score
Yeah, I was working off of a list I found and remembered to remove Philadelphia but forgot about Houston. And yes, I know some of them have won championships but trust me, those fans aren't running around saying thank heaven we at least won a championship 80 years ago. Hell, Lakers fans start whining if they go a few years without one (some whine even when they win the title).

But yes, if you just mean it's our turn at the bottom, I'd agree. I thought you were building to something else though from your earlier post.

Well, what I really was meaning to say was that the Suns have taken the mantle from the Cubs as the snake bitten, if-anything-bad-can-happen-it-will, hard luck franchise of professional sports organizations. I think we may well have that reputation more than any of the other "loser" franchises you cited, as much as anything because of our close-but-no-cigar history. Hence, why I can hardly imagine us being so lucky as to have all the cards fall in our favor even when being so bad now could conceivably pay off big.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, what I really was meaning to say was that the Suns have taken the mantle from the Cubs as the snake bitten, if-anything-bad-can-happen-it-will, hard luck franchise of professional sports organizations. I think we may well have that reputation more than any of the other "loser" franchises you cited, as much as anything because of our close-but-no-cigar history. Hence, why I can hardly imagine us being so lucky as to have all the cards fall in our favor even when being so bad now could conceivably pay off big.

Okay, that makes sense. We're snake bitten for sure but unfortunately we're also currently one of the laughing stocks of sports. On the positive side, kids usually grow up - eventually.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Steve, my friend. Just what Sarver would want -- justification.

Even if he, or one of his lackeys, doesn't read ASFN fans' comments, I wouldn't want anyone to think that we aren't angry with the state of the Suns and the reason why.

It really isn't a bad stretch, as if time is the fault. It is an owner who is too $$$elfish to bring the right people on board. And too self-centered to then let them do their job.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve, my friend. Just what Sarver would want -- justification.

Even if he, or one of his lackeys, doesn't read ASFN fans' comments, I wouldn't want anyone to think that we aren't angry with the state of the Suns and the reason why.

It really isn't a bad stretch, as if time is the fault. It is an owner who is too $$$elfish to bring the right people on board. And too self-centered to then let them do their job.

I don't know how you got the idea I was justifying our situation? My comment wasn't a YAY US, it was in response to what I (mistakenly) thought was another poster saying we were the worst franchise ever. We really aren't. But that doesn't mean we haven't been a poorly run franchise.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns have gone from being snake bitten to being just plain bad.

Relying on the lottery year after year is not a plan especially with reduced odds of hitting the number 1 pick now only 14%.

If the Suns can't beat the Cavaliers or the Hawks in their next two games the future looks even more bleak.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think the Suns have gone from being snake bitten to being just plain bad.

Relying on the lottery year after year is not a plan especially with reduced odds of hitting the number 1 pick now only 14%.

If the Suns can't beat the Cavaliers or the Hawks in their next two games the future looks even more bleak.

It only takes one player. Unfortunately, we missed him last draft, but maybe this next draft.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It only takes one player. Unfortunately, we missed him last draft, but maybe this next draft.

I think the Suns made a solid choice in Ayton.

However, in the 2018 draft there was more room for error with other quality picks such as Trae Young, Doncic and Bagley being available

This draft appears to be skewed way heavy at the top pick.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I think the Suns made a solid choice in Ayton.

However, in the 2018 draft there was more room for error with other quality picks such as Trae Young, Doncic and Bagley being available

This draft appears to be skewed way heavy at the top pick.
I don't think it's a skewed as some people say , Zion obviously looks better than anyone in the previous draft, but I think this might actually be a deeper draft then some of the previous years, they're alot of three point shooters and raw talent that I wouldn't be surprised if they were good right out the gate as well

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Terrible quote here. We didn't miss anything. We got one of the best 2 players in that draft. Period.
Exactly! Ayton was the right pick , besides we still wouldn't be a playoff team with Luka , Dallas isn't no reason to think we'd be any better then we are now except maybe 5-6 more wins

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's a skewed as some people say , Zion obviously looks better than anyone in the previous draft, but I think this might actually be a deeper draft then some of the previous years, they're alot of three point shooters and raw talent that I wouldn't be surprised if they were good right out the gate as well

Maybe you are right but I'm not sure there are many players ready to start in this draft.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Terrible quote here. We didn't miss anything. We got one of the best 2 players in that draft. Period.

Ayton very well may be one of the 2 best players in the draft, but the gap between the two is fairly wide.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now. Suns did not draft Ayton for what he is now. Luka may well end up being the better player, but it is unfair to compare them right now. This is coming from a huge Luka fan.

It's about time for the “Halleluka” song. :wink2:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Suns plight is a little overrated by us. Most fans know the Suns are one of he worst teams right now, and probably know they’ve never won a title, but they’d have to think about how long this stretch has been going on. The Suns rep is nothing like the ones the Cavs and Clippers have had. Miles away from the torture the Bills and Vikings are known for, or the Cubs and Red Sox curses.

Hopefully another good draft and maybe an actual top FA signing comes out way, and this era can be put to bed.