Realistically, where will we finish in the NFC West in 2019?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
For most of the 2018 preseason, I thought we were going to be bad. However, I thought the Rams were overhyped and would explode internally, and I thought the Seahawks were going to be worse. In my mind, the 49ers were really going to contend.

Unfortunately, now I'm sitting here thinking that the Rams are still going to be very solid for at least one more season, the Seahawks are way better than I thought, and the 49ers are getting back a ton of key pieces and will probably add someone key like Antonio Brown. Besides having the first pick, I don't think we have anything incredible to look forward to.

Being a total Debbie downer, I think that no matter what we do the rest of this offseason, we're still last place.:sad:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Things don’t always go to plan. We could finish last with a 7-9 record and vastly improved. I’m going to stay optimistic at least until get thru free agency and the draft. Remember the Rams in 2016 were terrible and turned it around in McKay’s first year. Fix the o-line, stay healthy and you never can tell.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Last in the division, but mightly improved.

A watchable offense and defense at the end of the season with something to cheer for and some nice wins.

Maybe 2020 we compete for the crown in the NFC West

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At this point impossible to say - except that it is very likely the Rams will be first.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
last. hoping to be improved, but really having no clue.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It's extremely early to do anything more than take stabs in the dark.

The reasonable take is that the Cards'll finish third or fourth. Much will depend on whether Garrapolo can actually stay healthy.

Cards can be 7-9 and be much better, as Slandriac says.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Draft smart and a quick turnaround is possible. The Rams have a problem on their hands with Gurley. Niners aren’t exactly world beaters and the Cardinals nearly beat the Seahawks at the end of the season after Wilkes had destroyed the team. I wouldn’t be shocked with a second place finish

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Even if the Niners keep Jimmy upright, I still think we have a better record.

Our defense should be way better with everyone in their natural positions...And our offense can't be any worse than it was last year... I think?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Ask me in July. Wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too early.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If we win 4 games I will be shocked.
I would be. I think 6 wins is an adequate estimation.

We play the NFC South and AFC North. I’d be surprised if we blow anyone out; maybe someone at home like the Lions. I hope we keep 8 games within a TD or less and win half of them. Plus one win of a TD or more.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oxymoron (or whatever) - To project where a team experiencing signifcant roster and systemic overhaul will finish the following season cannot, by its very nature, be a "realistic" excercise.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Oxymoron (or whatever) - To project where a team experiencing signifcant roster and systemic overhaul will finish the following season cannot, by its very nature, be a "realistic" excercise.
I mean, we know how much money we have, and we have a pretty good idea of the players that will be available. Barring a blockbuster trade in the vein of OBJ or AB, we're unlikely to be adding any elite talent to this roster outside of the #1 overall pick.

There's of course a ton of various factors, but the only reason I say "realistically" is understanding that we need to temper expectations to some degree - we're not going to get 5 new elite offensive linemen, we're not going to patch every hole on the defense, there's a lot of work to be done.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean, we know how much money we have, and we have a pretty good idea of the players that will be available. Barring a blockbuster trade in the vein of OBJ or AB, we're unlikely to be adding any elite talent to this roster outside of the #1 overall pick.

There's of course a ton of various factors, but the only reason I say "realistically" is understanding that we need to temper expectations to some degree - we're not going to get 5 new elite offensive linemen, we're not going to patch every hole on the defense, there's a lot of work to be done.
My point was that it's tough enough to project where a team will finish on the basis of track record and roster comparisons. Trying to factor in budget or cap numbers and other non-game elements takes a difficult excercise and makes it near-impossible. Injuries alone are a huge wildcard. New coaches, new. plays and a new scheme create additional questionmarks.

No question - on paper, the Cards are not considered one of the NFC West elite; but you never know what kind of hand the Football Gods will deal you & I wouldn't risk a dollar on predicting W & L's at this early stage of the process.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
My point was that it's tough enough to project where a team will finish on the basis of track record and roster comparisons. Trying to factor in budget or cap numbers and other non-game elements takes a difficult excercise and makes it near-impossible. Injuries alone are a huge wildcard. New coaches, new. plays and a new scheme create additional questionmarks.

No question - on paper, the Cards are not considered one of the NFC West elite; but you never know what kind of hand the Football Gods will deal you & I wouldn't risk a dollar on predicting W & L's at this early stage of the process.

I guess I just find it worth discussing to kind of frame where people think we should be and how that should inform roster construction. When we began last offseason, I had to steel myself to the idea that we were going to see a season where we ended up with a top-ten draft pick, and therefore shouldn't trade future assets for a QB. Now here we are picking at #1. I think that informs our moves.

To some, there's a desire to trade down and fill the roster with adequate starters, whereas I see a team in desperate need of genuine stars, so I don't want to trade down. I'd rather have a Joey Bosa than a combo of Ronnie Stanley and Shaq Lawson, for example, using Nick's brother and the 2016 draft as an example.