Rodney Gunter...

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wonder what it's going to take to keep him? Maybe more than I thought unfortunately

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You draft a player, you hope you’re right, he starts to develop and then you let him go. I don’t get it. RG should never hit free agency. A fair offer before March 13th might get it done today, much like the Colts when they signed Glowinski 2 weeks back.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You draft a player, you hope you’re right, he starts to develop and then you let him go. I don’t get it. RG should never hit free agency. A fair offer before March 13th might get it done today, much like the Colts when they signed Glowinski 2 weeks back.

Agreed. We keep opening up more holes.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

You get nowhere playing one step forward and two steps back. Gunter is one of the successful draft moves by Keim and should be given the contract to keep him

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Gunter should be priority #1 of the Cardinals Free Agents, if he prices himself out so be it but they should do everything they can to retain him.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Gunter should be priority #1 of the Cardinals Free Agents, if he prices himself out so be it but they should do everything they can to retain him.
And even overpriced, his contract would not be extreme in relation to a guy with a lot of sacks... we are penny pinching with our cap space not to re-sign him

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Gah! No!

Gunter looked like a keeper in our 4-man front. He looked like nothing for three seasons in the D we’ll be playing for at least the next couple years.

Hope for a good comp pick for him next year.

You know, you're right... and no, I am not being sarcastic lol

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
This...

Reactions: PJ1

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Gah! No!

Gunter looked like a keeper in our 4-man front. He looked like nothing for three seasons in the D we’ll be playing for at least the next couple years.

He was a decent rotation guy in a 3-4...but that's it. He's never been a guy that the Cardinals counted on to make plays.

Agree, let someone else foolishly pay him a lot.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He was a decent rotation guy in a 3-4...but that's it. He's never been a guy that the Cardinals counted on to make plays.

Agree, let someone else foolishly pay him a lot.

That's the one area where I think he showed vast improvement in 2018. His first couple years, I went out of my way to watch him alot. I commented that it was frustrating to watch him play because he got good push, but he looked like he never attempted to shed a block or make a play on the ball carrier. It was like he was executing a blocking sled drill. Drive his man back until the whistle blowed, then stop and do it again the next play. He was good at that. But he never showed any instinct for making plays or shedding blockers.

In contrast, I watched rookie Kneediche his very first play in preseason, ripping and shredding with his hands to shed his blocker, with Gunter next to him doing the human blocking sled drill thing. If I had a gif of it, I would have posted it because the difference was stark. That prompted me to joke that since Gunter had no football instincts, they might as well just bulk him up to 350 and make him the immovable force at NT.

Fast forward to 2018 and he's doing what I thought he never had the instincts to do - shedding blockers and making plays to the ball. Not at a pro bowl level or anything, but pretty decent. I don't know how that suddenly happens when his coaches had to be drilling that stuff for 3 years. Maybe the light finally came on in his head? Better coaching? 4-3? All of the above?

Somebody will overpay him though - maybe 7 or 8 mil? I can't see the Cardinals doing that, but if they do, I think it's because of his durability and his versatility to play NT in a crunch.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Gah! No!

Good point. Hard to say if he was finally getting it or if the scheme was just a better fit for him.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If we sign a bunch of guys like is expected, losing him likely means no comp pick.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seem to recall much the same said about a DT (Alan Branch) who some years ago left AZ for Seattle and later signed with New England where he picked up a ring.

Reactions: PJ1