Cardinals listed as favorites to land Antonio Brown

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’ll say not one WR in the draft will come anywhere close to Briown success.

Guy is the best WR in the game. I take him every day
You don't know that. Brown himself was a 6th round pick(ironically enough, it was our pick they used to draft him). Victor Cruz went undrafted that same draft. In other words, you can't make a blanket statement that there are no WR's in this draft with Brown's talent.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
And????

So what?

And it is part of a trend where he is destroying his own trade value. He apparently looked and acted high as a kite that week. The Steelers are going nuts because his idiotic behavior is making it ever harder for him to get his wish--a trade. His value is PLUMMETING. Who is going to offer much for someone claiming he's done in Pittsburgh? For someone with a decent contract who flaps his gums about wanting a new deal? His infatuation with his own social media cult of personality is ruining his job at the moment, making it less likely he'll get what he wants. Talk around here is that he may only pull a 4th or 5th round pick in exchange. What's he going to do if the Steelers look at the return and just tell him to suck it up and stay?

At least he has changed his mind and decided to have a sit down with Mr. Rooney. I guess he's not completely insane...yet.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Antonio Brown made it clear this week he wants out of Pittsburgh, but the Steelers had already decided to trade him, according to a report in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

And the Post-Gazette says the Steelers, not Brown, "will dictate" where he goes.

The wide receiver reportedly demanded a trade earlier this week, according to ESPN. On Tuesday, Brown further fueled the situation, tweeting a thanks to Steelers fans: "Thank you SteelerNation for a big 9 years...time to move on and forward."
http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...urgh-steelers-news/1bihz6mjs3oy719rg2h0isqapg

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
You don't know that. Brown himself was a 6th round pick(ironically enough, it was our pick they used to draft him). Victor Cruz went undrafted that same draft. In other words, you can't make a blanket statement that there are no WR's in this draft with Brown's talent.
You're right I DON'T know but I'd be willing to place a mighty hefty wager that the game's next best WR in the game is not drafted this year. And even less likely he is drafted by the Cards.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

The odds are there isn't. Just like the odds are you won't win the lottery.

With this logic, let's just draft the next Tom Brady in the 6th round.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh...wrs-picked-before-steelers-star-in-2010-draft

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Actually you can make that blanket statement. He just did. Doesn’t mean he’s right or that you have to agree with it, but the statement has merit. Actually I’d bet that odds favor his statement being true verse not considering AB is already a proven commodity and despite strength in numbers no one in this draft has played a lick of pro ball yet.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What's missing is Brown's relationship to his coaches, his lockerroom presence and all that sort of intangible stuff.

Does Brown perform on the field independent of all the drama or does the bad stuff spill over?

Which reminds me - I don't recall reading much about what it's like to be a pro FB player - the daily routine. Interaction with coaches. what it's like on Game Day. What players do on their Down Time. I'd love to see a regularly posted article titled: "A Day in the Life."

I mean - If you're not familiar with the inner-football player of a guy, how can you really know much about his professional prospects?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I believe it was Jurecki who said the Cardinals do have interest in him.

Also Keim was asked about him, and he certainly did not deny their was interest.

I am fairly sure the Cards do want him, it's just about how much it will cost.

Personally I am 50/50 on the idea. I see both pros and cons but if we can get him for a 3rd I would probably do it.

Thanks for this, I didn’t realize it.

We need to repair and replace a lot of pieces on this team. Where we are right now t don’t see why we would spend 20 or 25% of our remaining cap space on 1 player.
Because to catch up to the rest of the division, we need to make moves. Guys like AB aren’t going to be available in the two year window we have upcoming to take advantage of Rosen’s contract.

I’m personally for the idea. This offense could open right up with a guy like AB. I’d give our third and a 5th or 6th.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Because to catch up to the rest of the division, we need to make moves. Guys like AB aren’t going to be available in the two year window we have upcoming to take advantage of Rosen’s contract.

I’m personally for the idea. This offense could open right up with a guy like AB. I’d give our third and a 5th or 6th.
I wouldn’t be pissed if somehow he ended up here. However the Steelers are dealing from a deep hole. I’d offer a 3rd or a 4th and tell them to give us a call if they’d like. Remember our 3rd and 4th are almost like a 2nd and 3rd. I’d also like to know what it would cost us next year if he held out and we cut him.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like Chandler Jones you have to ask is the guy your drafting in round 2 or 3 going to be as good as Antonio Brown?

Even if it’s for a year or two.

He’s only at 14 million a year he’s not breaking the bank

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I’m not looking to win the team congeniality award I take talent over personality. That’s what the rams did and went to the SB. They had actual scumbags AB doesn’t quite matchup with those guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The demeanor of Fitzgerald is a rarity among WRs in this day and age. Yes, Brown is a diva and actually that is pretty prototypical for the position among great WRs... so yes, we should try to acquire him

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Our 4th...nothing more.....jts basically the last pick in the third round....right after all the compensatory picks

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Our 4th...nothing more.....jts basically the last pick in the third round....right after all the compensatory picks

Yeah, you can start off by offering that but you know that is not going to do it. I know I sure would not accept that for what might be the best WR in the game even now, and no way other bidders are gong to stop at that low bid offer and if you inquire and spend your time in the act, why waste time to lose him. You do not go after a guy like that unless you are serious, and that is a lukewarm offer which would make no sense. We have more draft capital and even cap space than most teams with a glaring weakness at the position, and that also helps and affects our position when making an offer revealing out intent. I am not saying give our second (though, that actually might really be his worth) but I would give my third for sure along with other later round picks

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

The contract window is a great point. We have to maximize the QB rookie contract.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And just think....you could have Antonio Brown for $14 mill....only $3 million more than Keim paid Larry.

Cards would be wise to offer the 2nd round pick for Antonio.
and if they have/had the cap they could offer the 3rd + next years 3rd for OBJ.
Both have a good amount of time left on their deals.

They get Brown and OBJ - tickets will sell like hot cakes on Sunday at iHop

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score
You're right I DON'T know but I'd be willing to place a mighty hefty wager that the game's next best WR in the game is not drafted this year. And even less likely he is drafted by the Cards.

The odds are there isn't. Just like the odds are you won't win the lottery.

With this logic, let's just draft the next Tom Brady in the 6th round.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh...wrs-picked-before-steelers-star-in-2010-draft

I think we are thinking about this the wrong way here. Yes both situations could happen. No one can answer that right now. The thing is there isnt any question with brown. Hes a baller you know what your getting. Drafting you dont. The risk factor as far as "will he be good or not" is taken out of the equation.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
For one thing have you ever seen Fitz blow his lid and go bullistic on the sidelines? I’m not saying he is the main problem of the Steelers problems but he’s somewhere in the mix.
True, although I think there's something more going on with that whole Steelers organization between AB, Le'Veon Bell, Rottencheeseburger, it seems like a big mess in that organization

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I think it would not only boost this team immensely to acquire Brown and then draft Bosa... but think what a gremlin in the mix we would be then for the Niner organization who appear to covet both players... makes me have a wicked smile :)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
What's missing is Brown's relationship to his coaches, his lockerroom presence and all that sort of intangible stuff.

Does Brown perform on the field independent of all the drama or does the bad stuff spill over?

Which reminds me - I don't recall reading much about what it's like to be a pro FB player - the daily routine. Interaction with coaches. what it's like on Game Day. What players do on their Down Time. I'd love to see a regularly posted article titled: "A Day in the Life."

I mean - If you're not familiar with the inner-football player of a guy, how can you really know much about his professional prospects?

Well, Brown missed a game because he walked out of practice, no-showed an MRI, no-showed for several days, then showed up on game day expecting to play but was denied. And this was THE most important game of the season: win and you may be in, lose and you're out. It devastated team morale and they played like caca poo poo.

AB is routinely late to meetings, goes ballistic on the sidelines when the ball isn't forced to him, and is on record that he's "Team AB". He doesn't even care about win-loss record, as long as he puts up his numbers. He isn't in the least a good teammate.

Yeah, you can start off by offering that but you know that is not going to do it. I know I sure would not accept that for what might be the best WR in the game even now, and no way other bidders are gong to stop at that low bid offer and if you inquire and spend your time in the act, why waste time to lose him. You do not go after a guy like that unless you are serious, and that is a lukewarm offer which would make no sense. We have more draft capital and even cap space than most teams with a glaring weakness at the position, and that also helps and affects our position when making an offer revealing out intent. I am not saying give our second (though, that actually might really be his worth) but I would give my third for sure along with other later round picks

Actually, a 4th or 5th pick might be the MOST you'll get from them. Ed Bouchette is on the record here in the 'Burgh as having heard from NFL execs who quoted somewhere around a 5th for him, and that was before he bid Pittsburgh goodbye and starting making contract noises. More on that later. AB is making his own life more miserable day by day, making his trade value go down exponentially.

And just think....you could have Antonio Brown for $14 mill....only $3 million more than Keim paid Larry.

Cards would be wise to offer the 2nd round pick for Antonio.
and if they have/had the cap they could offer the 3rd + next years 3rd for OBJ.
Both have a good amount of time left on their deals.

They get Brown and OBJ - tickets will sell like hot cakes on Sunday at iHop

Yeah, no way in hell you'll have AB for $14 mill per season. He's already gone on record that he'll want to re-negotiate his deal after the trade. Think he'll not want a league record contract for WRs? Think he won't want to break the bank.

And in what world do we have both Brown and OBJ? Put down the crack pipe, my friend :)

If the Steelers trade Brown their cap gets hit for 20+ mil.

No it doesn't. That got debunked a month or more ago. Closer to $7 mill in dead money.

True, although I think there's something more going on with that whole Steelers organization between AB, Le'Veon Bell, Rottencheeseburger, it seems like a big mess in that organization

No doubt Big Ben talks more on his radio show about other players than he should, and that he isn't the leader he could be in the locker room. Still, he's the star QB, and a WR is never going to outshine that. Bell? The Steelers bear some blame there, but there isn't the animosity toward him that there is toward AB. Bell wasn't under contract, and it's purely a business decision. Not the case with AB.

This all kicked off with AB when JuJu Smith-Schuster (sp?) was named team MVP. All his elevated antics began shortly after that happened, and have escalated mightily in the interim. He's a giant baby who just can't handle having another good receiver on the roster recognized ahead of him. Actually, that may be unfair. If he's seriously mentally ill, and falls into one of the personality clusters, as I suspect he does, he truly needs help. He has the money to get it, but not the wherewithal.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave