FA PG options

Who should we target this off season via FA/Trade?

• Malcolm Brogdon

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Darren Collison

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Patrick Beverley

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Jeff Teague

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • TJ McConnell

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Terry Rozier

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Ricky Rubio

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Goran Dragic

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Derrick Rose

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some team will give Derrick Rose a big contract. Some team will probably regret it for most of the life of that contract. The Rose we see today is not likely to be the Rose we'll all see the first time he gets injured again. And history suggests that will happen soon.

with you 1000% here.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Some team will give Derrick Rose a big contract. Some team will probably regret it for most of the life of that contract. The Rose we see today is not likely to be the Rose we'll all see the first time he gets injured again. And history suggests that will happen soon.

Now I’m fearing that exact scenario and it seems like something Jones might do.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now I’m fearing that exact scenario and it seems like something Jones might do.

I can actually see the Lakers doing that if they can't lure one of the marquee free agents. Then we'll hear Laker fans talk up how Rose returned to MVP form this year, although that definitely isn't the case. I think Rose has looked good this year but I'd rather have any other Minnesota PG right now, be it Tyus Jones, Teague, or even another run with Canaan here. I have zero interest in Rose as a Sun, especially as a high priced signing.

OP
OP
myrondizzo

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I heard James jones on the radio talking about free agency and he made it sound like he wasn't ready to make any splashy moves in free agency. I'm expecting a solid starter but probably not an all-star .

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard James jones on the radio talking about free agency and he made it sound like he wasn't ready to make any splashy moves in free agency. I'm expecting a solid starter but probably not an all-star .

Yeah, he's been pretty consistent about that. He wants to add veterans that can actually play so we don't have to rely on the young players every night and I don't think he believes we are ready to chase a big name just yet.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I take Rose on a reasonable deal. Not a great option, but better than the rest. Brogdon is my first choice but it will take a massive overpay. Rubio will disappoint I think.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can we have round 2 of IT with the Suns before we try for Rose? Perhaps with new coaching and management that he'd be willing to return. I doubt he gets paid much this offseason but he can still be an effective player for a year or two. He might also fill the leadership void while Booker grows into it more.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns go three seasons without a starting point guard.... well.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I take Rose on a reasonable deal. Not a great option, but better than the rest. Brogdon is my first choice but it will take a massive overpay. Rubio will disappoint I think.

I think it's important to define what is expected of anyone who signs here. My expectations are actually simple, and probably a bit low. I want someone who will hold his own defensively, able to hit an open three, bring the ball up the court, and be able to make some plays. One thing that drives me insane is teams doubling Booker and the Suns not being able to do anything. Rubio can find an open man and run the basic sets. In my mind, I don't think he'd disappoint, but I have a hunch most people will have higher expectations.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's important to define what is expected of anyone who signs here. My expectations are actually simple, and probably a bit low. I want someone who will hold his own defensively, able to hit an open three, bring the ball up the court, and be able to make some plays. One thing that drives me insane is teams doubling Booker and the Suns not being able to do anything. Rubio can find an open man and run the basic sets. In my mind, I don't think he'd disappoint, but I have a hunch most people will have higher expectations.

This is a good point. Anyone hoping for the next All-Star PG in the same vein as KJ, Kidd, Marbury, Nash, or even Dragic or Bledsoe will be disappointed with whoever we can add this summer but we don't need an All-Star PG to compete. A guard like Rubio would be good, even if it's not Rubio himself. A solid starter that no one can question his ability to start for an NBA team at PG that can play good defense, drain open 3's at a clip that will keep defenses honest, and find his teammates in position to score. Rubio checks all 3 of those boxes. He's not going to win anyone over or wow anyone with great performances but it's not out of the realm of possibilities if we add Rubio and he lead the league in assists or is at least in the top 3. He's not going to score 30+ one night if he catches fire but that's fine. He would fill the PG spot for the duration of his contract, 4 years or less, and in that time it would be important to find the PG of the future for the team. Our PG does not need to be one of our big three or anything like that though. I know some other PG's could probably accomplish those things but I think Rubio is the best bet of those available. Next on my list would be Collison and then Teague, so long as Teague doesn't think he'll be paid like his last contract.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
This is a good point. Anyone hoping for the next All-Star PG in the same vein as KJ, Kidd, Marbury, Nash, or even Dragic or Bledsoe will be disappointed with whoever we can add this summer but we don't need an All-Star PG to compete. A guard like Rubio would be good, even if it's not Rubio himself. A solid starter that no one can question his ability to start for an NBA team at PG that can play good defense, drain open 3's at a clip that will keep defenses honest, and find his teammates in position to score. Rubio checks all 3 of those boxes. He's not going to win anyone over or wow anyone with great performances but it's not out of the realm of possibilities if we add Rubio and he lead the league in assists or is at least in the top 3. He's not going to score 30+ one night if he catches fire but that's fine. He would fill the PG spot for the duration of his contract, 4 years or less, and in that time it would be important to find the PG of the future for the team. Our PG does not need to be one of our big three or anything like that though. I know some other PG's could probably accomplish those things but I think Rubio is the best bet of those available. Next on my list would be Collison and then Teague, so long as Teague doesn't think he'll be paid like his last contract.

It's also important to note that Rubio has been running Igor's system for almost two years now. It was really interesting watching Utah's broadcast when they played. They made several references to the "Blender" and the differences in how it is being executed in Utah, and not being executed properly in Phoenix.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the greatest expectation is that he contributes to significantly better over all team play.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Except that at this point, Rubio is not playing good defense and is not shooting well enough from anywhere (including from 3) to keep opposing defenses honest. I am all for Collison or Teague.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
There is no chance in hell Dragic opts out. He couldn't find a team to give him a four-year contract worth what he is going to make next year.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There is no chance in hell Dragic opts out. He couldn't find a team to give him a four-year contract worth what he is going to make next year.
He’s nearing retirement, I don’t think he’s gonna care about money as he will about winning. He’s already made a ton of $$ on that contract the Heat gave him.

Could see him taking a backup role with a contender.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sort of a brain fart but how ironic it would be if the Suns traded Tyler Johnson and something else for him.

I'd probably prefer keeping Tyler Johnson.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave