Suns @ Clippers 2-13-19

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
flipping Anderson's contract for a guy who has one more year, and thus is one that can actually fit in on a deal and he can actually play some minutes is a good deal for the Suns.

Jones deserves credit for Oubre, but until we see a much better performance from Tyler, the pg rotation should be Melton (when back), Okobo, Tyler

based on his average so far (6 pts, 3 ast, 22% in 28 minutes),
Anderson could have produced more than Tyler per minute

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh it’s definitely an all hands on deck to suck scenario for sure.

Defense is all about effort.

The Suns should be playing better defense than they are. When the Suns struggle offensively their defense is especially poor.

They should be trying to hang their hat on defense... something they can control.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the Suns have burned a lot of bridges with their turnover of coaches and GMs.

Unless Sarver wants to pay top dollar he is going to find it hard to fill these positions with known quality people.

For fans sake, I wish Sarver would hire a coach/GM and give him full control of personnel moves.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I'm thinking the Suns have burned a lot of bridges with their turnover of coaches and GMs.

Unless Sarver wants to pay top dollar he is going to find it hard to fill these positions with known quality people.

For fans sake, I wish Sarver would hire a coach/GM and give him full control of personnel moves.

Our only hope is Sarver bringing in a seasoned HC/GM combo otherwise nothing significant is going to change. Unless they hit on the 14.7% chance that is Zion Williamson that is.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our only hope is Sarver bringing in a seasoned HC/GM combo otherwise nothing significant is going to change. Unless they hit on the 14.7% chance that is Zion Williamson that is.

Sarver might even be able to mess up Zion.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns will get a heat check when they play the Cavaliers.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

The thing is...seasoned GM and a coach aren't gonna come to the worst team in the league. That's a fantasy, much like Sarver selling the team. It's not going to happen.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sarver will not pay for a seasoned head coach that’s why all our coaches are pretty much first time head coaches

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Sarver might even be able to mess up Zion.

Although at first glance, that seems like an extreme comment, but look what his leadership is doing to Ayton and Booker.

Sarver could mess up even Zion by not putting a balanced roster around him.

Even if he is an instant success, as everyone expects, he can't play five positions on the court.

Which seems to be the Suns solution to very unbalanced rosters. Play Ayton outside when he should be inside. Play Booker at two positions (at one time).

Play your lighter (Small) Forwards (who can't rebound) at Power Forward. And put the team in the hands of a meek, inflexible, untested NBA Head Coach.

Yup, that could mess up Zion . . . if we're lucky enough to get him. Let's face it. The expectations of Zion as our #1 pick are a repeat of what was said about Ayton a year ago and we're playing worse basketball with a somewhat better (but unbalanced) roster.

A lifesaver on the Titanic isn't going to save the ship. Only knowledgeable, experienced basketball leadership can save the Suns.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sarver will not pay for a seasoned head coach that’s why all our coaches are pretty much first time head coaches
It’s not just head coaches, it’s how he is with GMs as well.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes, Koko's salary is at the low end but I heard he gets a 5 million dollar bonus if the Suns win the Super Bowl.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sarver is a bad owner but he's supposed to be a good businessman
if so, it's very possible he finally changes course and gives the wheel of this Titanic to a strong GM
at a minimum, it would take the heat off of him

i don't know about Jones but i think he has to get thrown out with the bathwater
i really don't see how any owner could stick with Jones and Igor for another season of humiliation

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although at first glance, that seems like an extreme comment, but look what his leadership is doing to Ayton and Booker.

Sarver could mess up even Zion by not putting a balanced roster around him.

Even if he is an instant success, as everyone expects, he can't play five positions on the court.

Which seems to be the Suns solution to very unbalanced rosters. Play Ayton outside when he should be inside. Play Booker at two positions (at one time).

Play your lighter (Small) Forwards (who can't rebound) at Power Forward. And put the team in the hands of a meek, inflexible, untested NBA Head Coach.

Yup, that could mess up Zion . . . if we're lucky enough to get him. Let's face it. The expectations of Zion as our #1 pick are a repeat of what was said about Ayton a year ago and we're playing worse basketball with a somewhat better (but unbalanced) roster.

A lifesaver on the Titanic isn't going to save the ship. Only knowledgeable, experienced basketball leadership can save the Suns.

Only saying players alone are not going to turn the Suns into a team that can compete for a championship someday.

It will take a well run organization as well.

This is something we all have been saying for a long time.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only saying players alone are not going to turn the Suns into a team that can compete for a championship someday.

It will take a well run organization as well.

This is something we all have been saying for a long time.

I think Cleveland disproved this. But, yeah, it would be a lot easier if the front office was effective.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Cleveland disproved this. But, yeah, it would be a lot easier if the front office was effective.

I'm not sure Cleveland is not the exception to the rule because of Lebron.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure Cleveland is not the exception to the rule because of Lebron.

I agree, Cleveland is an exception because they had a transcendent player on their roster. Right now though we may well have a better chance of adding a transcendent player than we do of having a well built front office.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, Cleveland is an exception because they had a transcendent player on their roster. Right now though we may well have a better chance of adding a transcendent player than we do of having a well built front office.

I knew you were going to take me there but Lebron is a huge force even outside of basketball. When Lebron came back to Cleveland he was a proven commodity.

Because one player can do it, it doesn't mean another player can. Charles Barkey comes to mind.

I think a well run organization plus Zion takes a lot of risk out of the equation.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I knew you were going to take me there but Lebron is a huge force even outside of basketball. When Lebron came back to Cleveland he was a proven commodity.

Because one player can do it, it doesn't mean another player can. Charles Barkey comes to mind.

I think a well run organization plus Zion takes a lot of risk out of the equation.

Even a well run organization without Zion would make the Suns respectable. Conversely, what could we expect from our poorly run team with Zion?

If this season is an indication, based on Booker and Ayton, it's teammates playing out of position, a lot of double-teaming, lack of a facilitator, too much youth.
Bad communications. Not adjusting to situations.

No doubt Zion would make us a better-than-worst NBA team. But counting on that is a hope, not a plan. Just as it was a year ago. And we picked #1 in the draft
for the only time in our half-century history.

Last edited:

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That right there is the problem. As a businessman, he's doing just fine. He bought the team for 400M, and it's worth 1.5B according to the latest Forbes valuation. Despite the disaster of the last couple years on the court, the value of the team still rose 17% in value over the last year.

https://www.forbes.com/nba-valuations/list/#header:oneYearValueChange_sortreverse:true

well that's the success of the NBA
if he's smart he'll invest in what it takes to sell seats, ads, merchandise, and get a share of playoff money

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That right there is the problem. As a businessman, he's doing just fine. He bought the team for 400M, and it's worth 1.5B according to the latest Forbes valuation. Despite the disaster of the last couple years on the court, the value of the team still rose 17% in value over the last year.

https://www.forbes.com/nba-valuations/list/#header:oneYearValueChange_sortreverse:true
No thanks to Sarver. Our value is due to inflation, pure and simple. It would probably be more if we had a watchable product.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It will go up significantly more after the arena remodel is finished.

We all need to start sending Sarver photos of super yachts or something. Get him tempted to buy something of a similar ego level as a sports franchise but without the pressure of having an entire state thinking you suck out loud.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA