Is Igor Steve Wilks?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I gave Igor the benefit of the doubt, but I'm beginning to believe so.

I wonder how many more wins Budenholzer would have?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I gave Igor the benefit of the doubt, but I'm beginning to believe so.

I wonder how many more wins Budenholzer would have?
Yup me too. I’ve held off killing him in the board and may have even defended him (can’t recall) due to all the youth and lack of pg. but at this stage I see very little growth or team elements being displayed. The fact that the team still routinely falls behind by 20 (and sometimes 30) makes it difficult to reconcile how he can be doing a good job.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's too bad the Suns do not have Michael Bidwill to bail them out.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
You're being awfully unfair... to Steve Wilks.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did we really need another thread for this? How many Igor bashing threads are necessary, seriously? This wouldn't fit in "Igor's 'System'", "Who should coach the Suns next year", Igor's Substitutions against the Warriors, or "Igor's future with the Suns"? It's not like the "Igor = Wilks" comment hasn't been made dozens of times already. I'm not defending Igor or saying he's a good coach but at this point virtually every thread has turned into Igor bashing and then here's yet another thread that doesn't offer anything new.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don’t see Sarver paying another head coach to go away. And I have no faith they’d get the next hire right.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As someone that doesn't follow football/Cards, can someone summarize what equating Igor to Steve Wilks actually implies?

They're both bad first year coaches and I think those who make the comparison would also say they're stuck in their ways and won't adjust to personnel they have. It's not particularly creative but everyone who says it seems to think they're the first to make the comparison and have come up with some sort of genius parallel between the Cardinals and Suns.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
As someone that doesn't follow football/Cards, can someone summarize what equating Igor to Steve Wilks actually implies?
Means we’re going to fire Igor to hire a recently fired coach from the college ranks.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am almost already out. I am trying to be a fan, but it is just so hard to care any more.

Booker is the biggest disappointment lately. He just gets points. He does not make his team better. In fact, he makes them worse. Ayton is just OK. But that is a disapointment for a #1 pick. I am posting less and less and reading less and less on this board because it is so stinking depressing.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am almost already out. I am trying to be a fan, but it is just so hard to care any more.

Booker is the biggest disappointment lately. He just gets points. He does not make his team better. In fact, he makes them worse. Ayton is just OK. But that is a disapointment for a #1 pick. I am posting less and less and reading less and less on this board because it is so stinking depressing.

have to agree about Booker. he has to just be the go-to-guy until a strong leader can show him how to lead

to me, Ayton is not a disappointing #1, he's just a disappointing Ayton -- not maximizing his abilities -- needs guidance

and i guess i'm the opposite, posting more and more because it's "stinking depressing"
and i likebelieve the problems are fixable.

i like this roster more than prior rosters the past couple of years

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
1. Bad leadership? Check.

2. Disorganization and miscommunication on the court/field? Check

3. No commitment to change and adapt? Check

4. Awful press conferences? Check

5. No energy? Check

Yep, the Serbian Steve Wilks.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Basically Steve Wilks is the worst coach in NFL history. A complete bumbling fool WAY over his head, who did not know how to modify his game plan, and kept doing the same things that were not working over and over again. Till the end he put all the blame on the players not executing correctly.

While I am beginning to wonder about Igor's competence, comparing him to Wilks is in my opinion ridiculous hyperbole.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

This sums up exactly how I feel as well.

And I’d guess we’re not alone.

Sports is supposed to be entertainment and there’s just not much entertaining about the Suns.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That's fine. They'll still be here when/if you get bored and want to watch a game...

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I said back at Thanksgiving this guy was Wilks. Sad that us Fans usually catch this stuff before the guys who get paid.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Never thought I'd miss the Marbury Suns so much. Hell I'd take any past team over this crap. Only thing that gives me hope is the Talent of our youngsters and Booker is not part of the group. Time to make that move I think

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never thought I'd miss the Marbury Suns so much. Hell I'd take any past team over this crap. Only thing that gives me hope is the Talent of our youngsters and Booker is not part of the group. Time to make that move I think

No, it isn't time to make that move. He's 22 years old, playing through injuries and out of position yet he's still putting up incredible numbers. What kind of return do you think we can get for a player who is only making 3.3 million right now? If, IF, we decide to trade him, this is definitely NOT the time to make that move. You wait until his salary, which explodes next season, can bring back real value.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No, it isn't time to make that move. He's 22 years old, playing through injuries and out of position yet he's still putting up incredible numbers. What kind of return do you think we can get for a player who is only making 3.3 million right now? If, IF, we decide to trade him, this is definitely NOT the time to make that move. You wait until his salary, which explodes next season, can bring back real value.
Of course couldn't trade him now if we wanted to

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
PG: KJ, Kidd, Nash
PF: Chambers, Barkley, Stoudemire

Now we have everything but those two positions. Pick any point guard and power forward from these and add them to our current team. Cotton or Westphal coaching, not 'antoni because he doesn't develop rookies.
DOMINATION, KILLING SPREE, RAMPAGE
Going to find some vhs reruns, I miss winning.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Can’t keep excusing his play on his injuries when he’s constantly injured.

I don’t understand why more people don’t see durability as an attribute just like shooting, passing, defending etc. It’s actually more important than all those attributes and Booker lacks it.

I’d make a small wager that he’s gonna be playing through injuries for the rest of his career because the guy’s just beyond injury prone. If trading him now before perhaps it’s even more noticeable is the move to make then so be it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can’t keep excusing his play on his injuries when he’s constantly injured.

I don’t understand why more people don’t see durability as an attribute just like shooting, passing, defending etc. It’s actually more important than all those attributes and Booker lacks it.

I’d make a small wager that he’s gonna be playing through injuries for the rest of his career because the guy’s just beyond injury prone. If trading him now before perhaps it’s even more noticeable is the move to make then so be it.

Well, if you'll check this forum you'll see I've been concerned and talking about his injuries since his rookie year. I agree they are a problem. And I'd have no problem if we decided to move on from him because of his training habits or whatever it is that leads him to be so susceptible to injury. But, when posters suggest he's overrated or not that good, I think it's appropriate to point out that we aren't seeing Booker at his best. And even if we decide that injuries will likely keep us from seeing him at his best very often, trading him while he's only making 3 million a year is not a smart move.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Well, if you'll check this forum you'll see I've been concerned and talking about his injuries since his rookie year. I agree they are a problem. And I'd have no problem if we decided to move on from him because of his training habits or whatever it is that leads him to be so susceptible to injury. But, when posters suggest he's overrated or not that good, I think it's appropriate to point out that we aren't seeing Booker at his best. And even if we decide that injuries will likely keep us from seeing him at his best very often, trading him while he's only making 3 million a year is not a smart move.
This might not be a good time to trade Devin, as you say.

But even a great player not at his best half of the time (even less this season) doesn't help the team any more than a marginal player all of the time.

How I've wished that he could be returned to his Shooting Guard position to see what his ongoing level of performance would be.

It is incomprehensible that management hasn't been able to resolve it. Of course with our weak General Manager rotation, it is not so incomprehensible. It is downright stupid!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose