Saints, Payton, YOU blew it

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
noboby is talking about the horrendous play calling by the Saints at the end of the game mainly because of the blown call. Why were the saints throwing the ball with under two minutes to go. They could have run the ball 3 times , forced the Rams to use their time outs, kicked a Fg and the Rams would have got the ball back with about 40 seconds left and no time outs. Very stupid.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was thinking the same when they threw on first down...but didn't happen that way. Refs had 3 penalties in one instance and couldn't call a single one. NFL refs blew it....big time

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same when they threw on first down...but didn't happen that way. Refs had 3 penalties in one instance and couldn't call a single one. NFL refs blew it....big time
Can’t disagree with their ineptness. However , if the Saints simply run the ball 3 times THAT play never happens. Who knows , Kamari or Ingram could have ripped off a run and scored or gained a first down. It ranks right up there with the Falcons throwing the ball against the Patriots when all they needed to do was run , kick a fg , 10 pt lead , game over.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I think Sean Payton is a cheap shot artist and a liar. What goes around comes around

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Unlike the Dee Ford situation in the other thread, I can't say this is the Saints' fault at all. They played tough the whole time and got destroyed on one of the worst no-calls in NFL history.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unlike the Dee Ford situation in the other thread, I can't say this is the Saints' fault at all. They played tough the whole time and got destroyed on one of the worst no-calls in NFL history.
No argument there. But the point is THEIR play calling lead to that play and throwing the ball in that situation is simply stupid.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
No argument there. But the point is THEIR play calling lead to that play and throwing the ball in that situation is simply stupid.
It doesn't make what happened any worse. It's like blaming someone for making the questionable decision of driving through a construction zone late at night and then getting hit by a drunk driver. Doesn't remove having plenty to complain about.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They're a passing team and they wanted a TD and not a FG. As the Chiefs showed, even 40 seconds was enough to get into FG range to tie it so I understand the mindset.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Hindsight. The Rams were showing aggressive run blitz which would've probably resulted in a loss. The pick play on the left side worked perfectly and Thomas, who is has hands like Fitz, would've easily caught it if Brees didn't make an awkwardly low throw. Maybe someone was in the passing lane or Brees wanted to place it low to protect his WR. This is usually a very safe pass play for a quick gain and could've easily sealed the game considering the Rams brought the house against the run. It just didn't work.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
because the opponent was expecting them to run??

Because they have drew freaking BREES??

both good reasons to be passing the ball

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
because the opponent was expecting them to run??

Because they have drew ******* BREES??

both good reasons to be passing the ball
So how would the sports world look at this sequence of plays had that pass turned into a pick 6? Football fans would have been roasting the Saints. I also understand their mindset. But if I were a Saints fan I would have rather had the Rams get the ball with no time outs and 40 seconds than 1:40 and two timeouts. The play calling gave the Rams a chance to win the game in regulation. I agree it was a terribly blown non call. I also agree replay will change because of it. But as soon as the Saints threw the first incompletion I said that could come back to haunt them. It did.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
So how would the sports world look at this sequence of plays had that pass turned into a pick 6? Football fans would have been roasting the Saints. I also understand their mindset. But if I were a Saints fan I would have rather had the Rams get the ball with no time outs and 40 seconds than 1:40 and two timeouts. The play calling gave the Rams a chance to win the game in regulation. I agree it was a terribly blown non call. I also agree replay will change because of it. But as soon as the Saints threw the first incompletion I said that could come back to haunt them. It did.
when the game is on the line you put it in the hands of your star players. You have a guy who is a first ballot hall of famer and arguably the GOAT at QB.... and coach puts the ball in that guys hands and says "go win the game"
with a guy like Brees they have to commit a foul or a legendary play to stop him...they committed the foul.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
It's already been reported that Payton called a run play but Brees audibled to a pass on that 1st down throw.

the key at that point was to get the Rams to use timeouts / run clock

Brees should have known, or, Payton should have made clear: this is 100% run regardless of what the D shows.

Regardless of what happened later -- that was an unforced error

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the key at that point was to get the Rams to use timeouts / run clock

Brees should have known, or, Payton should have made clear: this is 100% run regardless of what the D shows.

Regardless of what happened later -- that was an unforced error
that’s all I’m saying,

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is a shoulda coulda woulda game... if they run and fumble the ball ... if they run and in the 40 secs the rams get the FG nonethless?

This is just ... yeah ... handsight.

Yes, playcall wise run run pass would have been better...

Maybe even ... flea flicker ... trick play ... runby ... would have had more chances to win that game... but as always ... you never know.

I would have loved the version... flea flicker or run by on first, an hill/Brees trickplay on 2nd and if you need yards on third you do the one that you didn't on 3rd down ... and if it's inches ... look go for it with a fake FG attempt or so ...

This was the final 2 minutes of the NFC Championship and the game on the line ... and they wanted to put the ball in brees hands but didn't think agressive enough ... bad no call and yes the furry of the Fans is adequate but nonethless, someone could argue that the playcalling didn't help to win this game and that is a valid point.

It's like Wilks 3 times straight up the gut when 1 first down wins the game, at least try to get the run going ... but with over 1 minute to play ... just ... bad playcalling.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
part of this is that strategy needs to adapt to the new NFL:

the amount of time you leave is nearly as important as the getting the score you need at the end of a game

with touchbacks coming out to the 25 + rules on protecting the QB and WRs --- its an offensive game. So it just seems offensively capable teams are able, more than ever, to turn 1 minute and a TO into a shot at a tying or winning FG (easily) or even a TD.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
+1

(Update): NO got screwed and I feel sad for or Payton and his players.

True, one crumby call shouldn't upset what happened during the other 59 minutes of regulation, but the interference/roughing non-call took place near the end of the contest, for all intents & purposes reversed the outcome of a playoff game & was a blatant foul in full view of the fans.

While I've long held that replays, ref meetings etc. slow up the game, yada yada - this call was a prime example of "C'mon, man!"

Someone at the League or officials level had to have seen what all of us saw, and there should be some mechanism they could pull out of their butts that would, in these rare cases, require a reversal or even a do-over.

To put it another way - suppose the last 5 minutes of a game was canceled due to an earthquake? There are probably no contingent plans to deal with earthquakes. So the most likely remedy would be for the League Elders to huddle up and carve out a just decision.

But what they wouldn't do is ignore the earthquake.

Last edited:

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I think, and have long thought, the league is rigged.

LA in the Super Bowl does LOTS for the NFL in that market.

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score
I think, and have long thought, the league is rigged.

LA in the Super Bowl does LOTS for the NFL in that market.

I don't think there is any doubt about it. The NFL wanted Rams vs Chiefs. It showed in the way the games were called. To me its painfully obvious. The only reason NE is in, is because Brady is to good to be stopped. Even though they tried to screw them as well

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think it is easy to say bad calls happens.
I'm having trouble remembering a team play through a bad call and winning.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If my aunt had a package, she'd be my uncle.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose