OT: NFC championship Rams at Saints 1-20-19

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The league is going to have to add another wrinkle to replay and I think it will work. Allow the team to appeal a pass interference call but not increase the current two appeals. So if pass interference is called in the middle of the first quarter the head coach would have to decide if it’s worth the appeal or not. The league will have to answer for this. It’s just not right to see a game of this magnitude be decided on a non call like this. Of course if had it happened in the first quarter we probably aren’t talking about it.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay earlier in this thread I asked about errant whistles from the crowd. Seems I wasn't alone. Lit up the Twittersphere.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...c-championship-game-broadcast-annoys-twitter/

What's more annoying, in New Orleans, than the Los Angeles Rams scoring 10 unanswered points to go into halftime of Sunday's NFC Championship?

Oh, we don't know, maybe the constant screeching of an undying, high-pitched whistle from the Superdome crowd?

All eyes were on the Saints defense early in the day's first conference title game, with Jared Goff, Todd Gurley and the rest of Sean McVay's toys neutralized by New Orleans before a second-quarter surge. But all ears were elsewhere, what with FOX's broadcast of the heavyweight showdown picking up a persistent whistle -- one that wasn't coming from any of the referees on the field but rather someone in the stands.

Twitter was predictably enraged at the NFC Championship playing host to maybe this season's loudest whistle blower:

Imagine sitting next to that knucklehead with season tix.

You must be registered for see images

abdul @Advil

whoever is blowing a whistle constantly in this saints rams game needs to be taken out back and beaten

3:52 PM - Jan 20, 2019

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
We have an electronic dart board at work that will sometimes do strange things. Like hit the outer bullseye and it will score a double bullseye. I once hit a 19 and got credit for a double bullseye. Another time I hit the triple 20 and got scored for a 1. We just call it a wild card and it is now part of the game. Sometimes you benefit and sometimes you get screwed.

How many highly trained, professional officials do you have whose job it is to make sure that your dartboard gets the score correct?

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seemingly lost in all of this is the performance of Jared Goff. Creeping towards the upper echelon of NFL QBs.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you all really care, you won't watch the Super Bowl in protest...except you will all watch fully enabling the non-call.

And the conspiracy about refs living in CA is just stupid.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it was a missed call and I have no idea how all the refs missed it, but there were other missed calls too. Saying the Rams don't deserve it is wrong IMO, saying they got a break is right.

Just like the Pats, I don't think the roughing on Brady was a good call. I don't think the ball touched Edelman but they ruled it did live and the replay was not conclusive so even though I think they got the call right, they didn't follow the rule. And I don't think Hogan's catch was good the ball touched the ground he rolled over and then the ball moved. I don't think the ground made it move I think it was moving when it touched the ground.

But then KC's go ahead TD was a blatant pick play too.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah it was a missed call and I have no idea how all the refs missed it, but there were other missed calls too. Saying the Rams don't deserve it is wrong IMO, saying they got a break is right.

Just like the Pats, I don't think the roughing on Brady was a good call. I don't think the ball touched Edelman but they ruled it did live and the replay was not conclusive so even though I think they got the call right, they didn't follow the rule. And I don't think Hogan's catch was good the ball touched the ground he rolled over and then the ball moved. I don't think the ground made it move I think it was moving when it touched the ground.

Right you are Russ. I think there was bad calls both ways in the late game. The Chiefs were really bumping and holding the Pats receivers (as bad or worse than the 2 Jackson got called on) and didn't get flagged. That was a bad crew last night.

There really is need for some change in the NFL officiating and instant replay. But, as long as they are making a ton of money they won't substantially change much probably.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
None. I have a machine that was literally created to monitor where a dart hits and record the correct score....and it gets it wrong from time to time.

So you're saying that the stakes are lower than in an NFL conference championship, and less has been invested in ensuring a fair outcome?

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I'm glad the Rams made it but it's a very hollow victory knowing the Saints did enough to win the game and the refs took it away from them. McVay played it safe and went for the FG from the one yard line instead of going for the TD and hoped to contain the Saints offense on the following drive. Saints drove down and although they ran a couple of questionable plays, they should have been given that PI call or helmet to helmet. Rams were toast at that point and there's no other way to look at it other than the officials literally kept them in the game.

If the Rams go out and beat the Patriots maybe a little of this will be forgotten but IMO, the non call is worse than the infamous tuck rule call that cost the Raiders. I still haven't been able to think of an example of a game so blatantly being influenced by the refs. The tuck rule was BS because no one had ever seen it called but it was very close whether or not the ball was fumbled. I mean, it was at least debatable. The hail mary play with the Packers and Seahawks was pretty bad too but again, there was at least some amount of debate about the play.

The Saints/Rams non call wasn't debatable at all. It was blatant AND two-fold. Worst call I've ever seen that changed the outcome of a game.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

Russ, yeah calls always go both ways. The call on roughing was bad because he really didn't have a clear sight and missed the call and the Edelman was ticky tacky as they show it a thousand times and peopled were still arguing. The hit on the PI and helmet to helmet was to flagrant to ever miss. It was one of the worst non-calls I have even seen in the 60+ years I have been watching the NFL. That one had scripted all over it, then the "make-up" call. So obvious.

Last edited:

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Life ain't fair & zebras are clueless. Looks like nothing much has changed to start 2019

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I'm glad the Rams made it but it's a very hollow victory knowing the Saints did enough to win the game and the refs took it away from them. McVay played it safe and went for the FG from the one yard line instead of going for the TD and hoped to contain the Saints offense on the following drive. Saints drove down and although they ran a couple of questionable plays, they should have been given that PI call or helmet to helmet. Rams were toast at that point and there's no other way to look at it other than the officials literally kept them in the game.

If the Rams go out and beat the Patriots maybe a little of this will be forgotten but IMO, the non call is worse than the infamous tuck rule call that cost the Raiders. I still haven't been able to think of an example of a game so blatantly being influenced by the refs. The tuck rule was BS because no one had ever seen it called but it was very close whether or not the ball was fumbled. I mean, it was at least debatable. The hail mary play with the Packers and Seahawks was pretty bad too but again, there was at least some amount of debate about the play.

The Saints/Rams non call wasn't debatable at all. It was blatant AND two-fold. Worst call I've ever seen that changed the outcome of a game.

It's amazing that two championship games would go back to back OT has that ever happened before?

I'm sure that's all just a coincidence.

Of the two games the Saints game was the bigger head scratcher but I don't question the calls in the chiefs patriots game as much as why Andy would call a play that resulted in a score so fast and leave Brady over two minutes and all his timeouts? During that game I immediately groaned saying it was too much time and if I know that well you'd hope he knew that but I guess not.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
It's amazing that two championship games would go back to back OT has that ever happened before?

I'm sure that's all just a coincidence.

Of the two games the Saints game was the bigger head scratcher but I don't question the calls in the chiefs patriots game as much as why Andy would call a play that resulted in a score so fast and leave Brady over two minutes and all his timeouts? During that game I immediately groaned saying it was too much time and if I know that well you'd hope he knew that but I guess not.
Reid is just a slightly better Marty Schottenheimer. Very good regular season coach but can usually be counted on to blow it once the playoffs start. It isn't surprising at all for him to have made such a blunder.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Reid is just a slightly better Marty Schottenheimer. Very good regular season coach but can usually be counted on to blow it once the playoffs start. It isn't surprising at all for him to have made such a blunder.

I remember Marty Schottenheimer starting Elvis Grbac over Rich Gannon at home against Denver in the 1997 playoffs (because Schottenheimer believed that a QB shouldnt lose a job due to injury). The Chiefs lost with Grbach and Gannon went on to be a Pro Bowler with the Raiders. Stubborn coaches will always shoot themselves in the foot

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That was the worst blown call I have ever seen. The Rams CB made that play so he wouldnt catch the ball. He didnt even play the ball. He litterally head first rocked a dude Who never saw him coming. Defender never looked around...never played any type of defense. And if you want to argue that...you are a moron. Because look at the video. Aftwr the play. The defender looked around 3 or 4 times almost waiting for a flag!!! He was out of position and didnt want dude to score a TD. in fact watch replay...he doesnt start celebrating for atleast 6 seconds after looking around the field.
I hate ...like really hate when people use the defense of...well New Orleans didnt play well after half time. or they threw an INT here or should have passed here. That is Bulls#$t. that is every team in every game. you can find the whys or the what could haves. This isnt about that. This is about a call that is made 99 out of 100 all the way down to Pee Wee .. Saints won that game 98 out of 100... Rams defender ram straight at Lewis and had no idea where the ball was. Lewis was even coming back to the ball!!! It was as obvious a pass interference that probably ever had been ...and he took Lewis out....it had like 4 penalties in 1.

now saying that.....I dont care because New England has a much easier game against The Rams. Belichick wont lose to a newbie. Goff isnt going to tear up the Patriots. Saints had a veteran team with Breed. Patriots might win by 24

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I remember Marty Schottenheimer starting Elvis Grbac over Rich Gannon at home against Denver in the 1997 playoffs (because Schottenheimer believed that a QB shouldnt lose a job due to injury). The Chiefs lost with Grbach and Gannon went on to be a Pro Bowler with the Raiders. Stubborn coaches will always shoot themselves in the foot

Yeah I was at that game and at the time everyone was like this is a mistake, Gannon was really hot, the only reason they did it was speculated to be the big contract Elvis had, I put that one on Peterson the GM myself but I've never heard who really made that call because you are right Marty said point blank that a QB should not lose their job due to injury which is a commendable honorable stance and yet it was really questioned hard at the time.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rethinking this game the Saints. Kind of blew this game. They could have simply ran the ball 3 times forcing the Rams to use their last two time outs. Kick the fg and the Rams would have got the ball with about 45 seconds left and no time outs. That all gets lost with the blown call. But should the Saints have even been throwing the ball?

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Rethinking this game the Saints. Kind of blew this game. They could have simply ran the ball 3 times forcing the Rams to use their last two time outs. Kick the fg and the Rams would have got the ball with about 45 seconds left and no time outs. That all gets lost with the blown call. But should the Saints have even been throwing the ball?
It's certainly debatable. Saints started that drive at their own 30 and got down to the 13 by passing 4 out of 5 times. They were being aggressive and going for the TD so the Rams couldn't tie it with a FG. I would say that it wasn't the play call that was bad but the execution. Brees throwing a worm killer at that moment made Payton look foolish but the call was fine. The receiver was open. It was just a bad throw from a guy who completed 75% of his passes this year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave