Quinnen Williams

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's a monster but with us heading back to 3-4 he just doesn't fit. I mean he does but not at #1

It's got to be an edge pass rusher either Bosa or Allen in this draft

I feel like with Golden and Jones along with the new guy that was cleaning up well in rotation, we have solid pass rush and would be better off taking OL, MLB, DL and CB so if we can get a good trade back deal, I am all in.

FA will be good for at least one solid WR and one solid OL and maybe DL but we will be hard pressed to find talent at MLB, CB in FA.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize Q was a DE his freshman year (4 star DE coming out of high school (6-4/260)). He redshirted as a freshman and just started playing DT this year (sophomore). Pretty amazing growth in his 1st year at the position.

This article is worth the time to read.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/201...fl-draft-prospect-quinnen-williams-dt-alabama

Strange things happen in the "Bama" strength and conditioning room. Maybe it's that "deer antler" stuff they are famous for.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't realize Q was a DE his freshman year (4 star DE coming out of high school (6-4/260)). He redshirted as a freshman and just started playing DT this year (sophomore). Pretty amazing growth in his 1st year at the position.

This article is worth the time to read.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/201...fl-draft-prospect-quinnen-williams-dt-alabama
I posted on another thread that I preferred Williams over Bosa mainly due to our need for more disruption inside by a NT in the 3-4. Response to this was that Williams was a better fit as a traditional DT in a 4-3. I'm confused. Write-up and videos seem to support the case for Williams as a pretty kickass 3-4 NT. Can someone clarify?

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
I think QWill would do just fine as a 5 technique DE in a 3-4. Not sure why anyone would suggest otherwise. Think Malik Jackson or Aaron Donald in the Wade Phillips 34. And yes, I know... He’s no Aaron Donald!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I posted on another thread that I preferred Williams over Bosa mainly due to our need for more disruption inside by a NT in the 3-4. Response to this was that Williams was a better fit as a traditional DT in a 4-3. I'm confused. Write-up and videos seem to support the case for Williams as a pretty kickass 3-4 NT. Can someone clarify?
williams is really too small to be a NT....dude isnt even 300 pounds. Most NT's are in the 330+ range unless you run the exception, the under tackle...which is what Denny Green did with D90.
all of that of course is dust in the wind when you see aaron donald playing whatever he wants in the middle of the line.
but williams is similar in size to R Nkemdiche...it would make us pretty small along the defensive front and usually that leaves you open to the power running game.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I feel like with Golden and Jones along with the new guy that was cleaning up well in rotation, we have solid pass rush and would be better off taking OL, MLB, DL and CB so if we can get a good trade back deal, I am all in.

FA will be good for at least one solid WR and one solid OL and maybe DL but we will be hard pressed to find talent at MLB, CB in FA.

Golden is a FA and wants to be paid like a starter, he only had 2.5 sacks last year but some team might overpay.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Golden is a FA and wants to be paid like a starter, he only had 2.5 sacks last year but some team might overpay.
I think paid like a starter is just conjecture, never heard him talk about contracts

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I think paid like a starter is just conjecture, never heard him talk about contracts

There was a post season interview saying he expected to be paid like a starter. I seriously doubt he will be back.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Here is what was said and written RE Golden...

Golden is scheduled to be a free agent in March. Dominant edge-rushers get paid handsomely on the open market, and Golden believes he deserves to be lumped into that group when healthy.

“I know who I am and I know what I can do,” Golden said. “I can play football and I can make plays. I’m a big-time player. I can help teams win big games, like I’ve been doing since I’ve been here. I’m going to get back to myself. I’ve just got to grind it out and get healthy.”

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is what was said and written RE Golden...

Golden is scheduled to be a free agent in March. Dominant edge-rushers get paid handsomely on the open market, and Golden believes he deserves to be lumped into that group when healthy.

“I know who I am and I know what I can do,” Golden said. “I can play football and I can make plays. I’m a big-time player. I can help teams win big games, like I’ve been doing since I’ve been here. I’m going to get back to myself. I’ve just got to grind it out and get healthy.”
I'd pay him second tier money. He's worth it imo. He's not getting Jones money

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I'd pay him second tier money. He's worth it imo. He's not getting Jones money

I wouldn’t give him more than a 1 year prove it deal. 2.5 sacks and very little impact last season, no idea if he will ever be as good as he was before injury. I think some other team will overpay though, just a feeling.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t give him more than a 1 year prove it deal. 2.5 sacks and very little impact last season, no idea if he will ever be as good as he was before injury. I think some other team will overpay though, just a feeling.
Knowing the guys ability and last year was return from injury year, id be good with 3 years 16-18 million. I think that's a reasonable mid tier contract. High motor, high ceiling, high effort and good leader/locker room guy.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think that's what happens considering his best year was on a dline with Jones & Calais who ended up 1-2 in sacks the following season. IMHO I dont think he ever repeats that success

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think that's what happens considering his best year was on a dline with Jones & Calais who ended up 1-2 in sacks the following season. IMHO I dont think he ever repeats that success

Golden wasnt a sack master anyway...he gets some but his value is in hurries and pressures... Not in finishing

I would like him back

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
m a big-time player. I can help teams win big games, like I’ve been doing since I’ve been here.

Dude, what big games are you referring to?

Snoopdog323

Veteran
Reaction score
Golden is gone. Edge rusher is one of those in demand positions teams always blow money on. He ain’t even getting a mid tier contract from the cards. Ain’t worth it. FOOLS GOLD(EN)

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

I still think his lack of production was him still coming off the ACL tear and the bad defensive scheme the team had.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Golden is gone. Edge rusher is one of those in demand positions teams always blow money on. He ain’t even getting a mid tier contract from the cards. Ain’t worth it. FOOLS GOLD(EN)

Although if you are in for one then this off season is the time. Both draft and FA are flooded with them, which means he might not get what he expects or is overlooked. I hope he is back but for a rotation role

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I still think his lack of production was him still coming off the ACL tear and the bad defensive scheme the team had.

Prior to the injury in 2017 he had zero sacks in 4 starts and was a non factor. To me his ceiling is probably 5-6 sacks a year, 2016 was a outlier.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Although if you are in for one then this off season is the time. Both draft and FA are flooded with them, which means he might not get what he expects or is overlooked. I hope he is back but for a rotation role
I don't recall reading that "Golden is gone." But even if he (or anyone else) leaves the team, we have the resources to go out on the FA market and get ourselves another EDGE guy. Or: drafting Bosa (or any other speed rusher) is always an option. Or there may be someone on our current roster who'll thrive under the tutilege of a new position coach. (We're getting way ahead of ourselves).

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Golden is going to have a tough market. Lots of good players, a good pass rusher draft, and a mediocre statistical season. I would not be shocked if he just took a one year deal in AZ to build up his market.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave