TJ Warren

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Womp Womp.

Suns finally stay patient with a player, he finally makes great strides in improving himself and... he is seemingly the worst fit of the current roster.

I know the loudest voices are current for trading him, I'm curious to know if there are some people who would hate to see him moved.

I like him, but I think he's a player of a different era. In the 80s the guy is probably a borderline all-star. I hope the Suns are, quietly, shopping him... like phoning teams who could obviously use a 6/7th man who is a great 3pt shooter, asking for high level assets and seeing if they ask for Warren in return. Rather than, what I assume Jones/Sarver would likely do, just phoning around the league and asking what teams would give for Warren.

Sucks that our status as a media punching bag is going to make any Warren trade turn ugly. We're going to get shredded for ditching a guy who "finally blossomed" as people look at his 3pt shooter and ignore that lineups featuring him are getting slaughtered.

IMO... it's time for TJ to go. He's got talent... but he's like a poor man's Carmelo Anthony, minus the cancer aspect. It's hard to find value in a primarily iso scorer who can't create, who doesn't defend, poor rebounder. The passing is especially bad. Outside of pure, interior big men, there isn't a player in the league who passes less than TJ Warren.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His contract is good though for what he provides. Maybe we'd all be content if he'd be willing to slide himself to the 6th man role, but we all know he doesn't want to be that guy.

We are losing, we can put all these guys under a microscope and say they're underperforming or not something that we need right now. I'm not in favor of getting rid of Warren until we see how the season plays out, we are still gaining stability in everything: FO and management, coaches, having NBA talent.

I have been seeing him actively trying to kick the ball back out lately, I do think he wants to expand his game just like he did by working on his 3pt shot.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think usually this board "wants to" trade a player when they perceive his value to be low. Of course that's not the right time to trade someone. What the Suns should be looking for is a situation where one of their players might be more valued by a different team than he is by the Suns.

The question is not whether Warren is a good fit for the Suns, but instead what is the setting in which Warren would be most valuable. In other words, who wants him most? If there's a team who wants him more than the Suns do, it makes sense to open the conversation.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think usually this board "wants to" trade a player when they perceive his value to be low. Of course that's not the right time to trade someone. What the Suns should be looking for is a situation where one of their players might be more valued by a different team than he is by the Suns.

The question is not whether Warren is a good fit for the Suns, but instead what is the setting in which Warren would be most valuable. In other words, who wants him most? If there's a team who wants him more than the Suns do, it makes sense to open the conversation.

The Pelicans or Grizzlies maybe? They are really lacking in wings that can bring a scoring punch.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warren comes up in trade talks on the forum quite a bit. I'm for keeping him unless the Suns can get a player in return that could better help the team.

Ideally I'd like to see Warren coming off the bench.

If the Suns insist on starting Warren, I'd like to see a starting lineup of Booker, Bridges, Oubre, Warren and Ayton together.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I have been a TJ fan from day one. Now that he is hitting threes, he really doesn't have a major hole in his game. My only gripe is that he gets frustrated when he isn't scoring and the team isn't winning. He kind of disappears. I do think that some winning would fix that, though.

The thing is that the Suns have four SFs and zero NBA-Level point guards of power forwards. Somebody has to go at some point.
What I don't want to see is a rushed trade. We still don't know if JJ will turn the corner, we still don't know what kind of an offer Oubre will get, so I think it would be short-sighted to just rush a trade. Another thing is Ayton. The main issue with Warren right now is that he is the third poor defender in the starting lineup. While Booker doesn't have the physical attributes to become a good defender, Ayton does. We've seen Ayton be a very good defender from time to time. He was outstanding against Denver. If he can do that more consistently, Warren's defense ceases to be a big issue.

I have no problem with trading anyone, including Warren, if it makes the team better. I just don't want to see a rushed trade that doesn't accomplish much.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I dont know why people dislike him. I think a guy that gets 20 a night without really one play run for him is huge, similar to shawn marion. I think his defense is improved as well, seems to get his hands on a lot of balls.

Without him, the next best reliable scorer on the whole team would probably be Oubre at this point which is not going to win you a lot games.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Look, in order to get something good, you have to give up something good. And on my list, Warren is #1 as a trade chip I'd be willing to trade in a good package. Do I want to jettison him off for peanuts? Of course not. But if a team gives us the choice of Warren, or say, Jackson, as a component of a deal for a starting PG or even a starting PF, I know who I'd pick every time.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have been a TJ fan from day one. Now that he is hitting threes, he really doesn't have a major hole in his game. My only gripe is that he gets frustrated when he isn't scoring and the team isn't winning. He kind of disappears. I do think that some winning would fix that, though.

The thing is that the Suns have four SFs and zero NBA-Level point guards of power forwards. Somebody has to go at some point.
What I don't want to see is a rushed trade. We still don't know if JJ will turn the corner, we still don't know what kind of an offer Oubre will get, so I think it would be short-sighted to just rush a trade. Another thing is Ayton. The main issue with Warren right now is that he is the third poor defender in the starting lineup. While Booker doesn't have the physical attributes to become a good defender, Ayton does. We've seen Ayton be a very good defender from time to time. He was outstanding against Denver. If he can do that more consistently, Warren's defense ceases to be a big issue.

I have no problem with trading anyone, including Warren, if it makes the team better. I just don't want to see a rushed trade that doesn't accomplish much.

Actually he still has three major holes in his game. Defense, Rebounding, and Passing. Maybe he will improve one or more of these this coming summer - but I doubt it.

As the season goes further and further along, I am remembering more and more why I wanted him traded last summer. With that said, I don't think now is the time. I want to know what the contract situation is with Oubre, and I want to see how Jackson plays the rest of this season before I would consider trading Warren.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I have no major issues with TJ, but I would absolutely trade him to get a good PG or PF. Either one of those acquisitions would make the team instantly better. Getting a good PG would get other players better involved and would move either JJ or Oubre into the starting lineup and that means more defense.

Trading him for a good 3 & D PF would give us more size on defense and on the boards and allows us to match up much better with all the other teams with legit sized PFs.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The problem I see is that TJ might net a Fred VanVleet level player and that's about it.

I think this is the time to move him. It's more than obvious that his offense has never been enough. He's below average to average in everything other scoring.

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
I'm for keeping Warren as 6th man.

Suns are a mess. Should have kept Alan Williams PF and signed Goran Dragic again.

Ayton
Williams
?JJ, Bridges, Oubre
Booker
Dragic

Holmes
Warren
JJ
Oubre
Bridges
Daniels
Melton
Crawford

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm for keeping Warren

Suns are a mess. Should have kept Alan Williams PF and signed Goran Dragic again.

Ayton
Williams
?JJ, Bridges, Oubre
Booker
Dragic

Holmes
Warren
JJ
Oubre
Bridges
Daniels
Melton
Crawford
Putting Alan Williams as the STARTING PF when he can't even get a regular contract with Brooklyn seems a little far-fetched, don't you think?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I'm for keeping Warren as 6th man.

Ayton
Williams
?JJ, Bridges, Oubre
Booker
Dragic

Holmes
Warren
JJ
Oubre
Bridges
Daniels
Melton
Crawford

Williams is not a PF. He is a rather big, slow Center that can't even get a real NBA contract. I am a big fan, but he is not a starter, he is not a PF, and he sure as hell isn't a starting power forward. As for Dragic, Suns can't sign him as he he is already under the contract with Miami. Additionally, he is a poor defender, so that creates some issues too. Don't get me wrong, if he could be traded for as a stop-gap measure without giving up any real assets, I'd be OK with it, but if you think the Suns starting five are bad defensively now, they would look like the late 80's/ early 90s Pistons compared compared to what they'd look like with Dragic and Booker in the back court.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

There's nothing in that article that Suns fans didn't know about him already other than he made the All G-League 2nd Team at their Winter Showcase. That doesn't make him a starting NBA PF though. He's barely a backup considering his size is that of a Small Forward but he's got the bulk of a Center. Unlike someone like Oliver Miller, Big Sauce doesn't have long arms or great athletic ability to block shots or be a rim protector. He rebounds and that's it. I think Holmes is a lot better than Big Sauce because he actually has size and the jumping ability to be a rim protector. Neither offer much on offense but knowing Alan Williams has tried shooting 3's recently I think he'd be another Pat Burke for the Suns at the most and we don't need someone like that.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Wow. Such haters bout Williams. Question for you.....who's down low for rebounds and cherry picks when Ayton is at the elbows setting picks for our wings to jack up 3's and long jumpers? Defenses have zeroed in on the Ayton high picks and his lack of use where he needs to be (in the low block destroying his defender). Hell tonight vs Toronto, he was DOMINANT in the 1st half. How many times did he get the ball in position for him to use his own offense in the 2nd half? ZERO!!! Atrocious use of our #1 pick by our coaching staff. Some of you bitch about TJ and his blinders when he has the ball in his hands. How many of you would bitch if Ayton did the same? None of you would cause we all know he's being massively misused and wasted on the high post/elbows. If Koko is staying, then we need a dirt worker in the low post screening for our shooters and getting rebound position for all those long range shots the Suns are chucking up. Williams is that guy. He proved it when he was here.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wow. Such haters bout Williams. Question for you.....who's down low for rebounds and cherry picks when Ayton is at the elbows setting picks for our wings to jack up 3's and long jumpers? Defenses have zeroed in on the Ayton high picks and his lack of use where he needs to be (in the low block destroying his defender). Hell tonight vs Toronto, he was DOMINANT in the 1st half. How many times did he get the ball in position for him to use his own offense in the 2nd half? ZERO!!! Atrocious use of our #1 pick by our coaching staff. Some of you bitch about TJ and his blinders when he has the ball in his hands. How many of you would bitch if Ayton did the same? None of you would cause we all know he's being massively misused and wasted on the high post/elbows. If Koko is staying, then we need a dirt worker in the low post screening for our shooters and getting rebound position for all those long range shots the Suns are chucking up. Williams is that guy. He proved it when he was here.

The solution is much simpler than that. Koko needs to go, and then Ayton will be used correctly.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Sure, for 5-10 minutes per game. That's not what we need, we need more than that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would have preferred Williams over Acy but that opportunity is gone.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

There are no Williams haters here. Every single one of us loves the guy. He was THE fan favorite when he was in Phoenix. That doesn't change the fact that he is an end of the bench guy.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So I just watched the last shot. We never get such an easy shot to win a game. Surprised he went around bridges so easily and Ayton wasn’t much of any hindrance which is disappointing.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So I just watched the last shot. We never get such an easy shot to win a game. Surprised he went around bridges so easily and Ayton wasn’t much of any hindrance which is disappointing.

Ayton had all the proper footwork and movement, but I think he was scared of getting called for a foul so he didn't swipe at the ball. Hopefully, as his stardom grows, he will start to expect refs to give him the benefit of the doubt on both ends.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave