Antonio Brown to Cardinals? Trade speculation for Steelers wide receiver includes Arizona

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
True, however Bell did it so why can't Brown? He's going to get a neat $21MM if he's traded. I think he can live off of that for a year. If they have a smart money manager they shouldn't be living off of their year to year paycheck anyhow, especially guys like Brown who are pulling in big money.

Where are you getting this from? The $21M being reported is dead cap hit for the Steelers if he's not on their roster (trade/released). His cap hit is $22M if he is on their roster.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Where are you getting this from? The $21M being reported is dead cap hit for the Steelers if he's not on their roster (trade/released). His cap hit is $22M if he is on their roster.

It's the bonus part of his contract, guaranteed money. They have to pay him the guaranteed money. Normally it would have been spread out over the last three years of his contract but if they trade him they are on the hook for it.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It's the bonus part of his contract, guaranteed money. They have to pay him the guaranteed money. Normally it would have been spread out over the last three years of his contract but if they trade him they are on the hook for it.

Usually the bonus portion of the contract is paid at signing. The teams are allowed to spread it over the length of the contract in order to moderate the cap hit. The only real exceptions to this are roster bonuses and workout bonuses which are paid on a specific date.... Much like the 2.5mil roster bonus AB has coming on March 5th

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Geez Antonio do you even understand the concept of self incrimination? Your Tweets etc, are proof of what B A states.

The Steelers might even improve next year via addition by subtraction on their roster. I can see Pats going after Brown.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Whether the bonus was paid on day one or spread out, it is a sunk cost. He gets the $$$.

The issue for Pittsburgh is the CAP ramifications of the accelerated accounting in this business year as they can no longer prorate.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Usually the bonus portion of the contract is paid at signing. The teams are allowed to spread it over the length of the contract in order to moderate the cap hit. The only real exceptions to this are roster bonuses and workout bonuses which are paid on a specific date.... Much like the 2.5mil roster bonus AB has coming on March 5th

First here is what I found about bonuses.

Bonuses
There are several different types of bonuses a player can earn.

A signing bonusis what is known as “guaranteed money.” This is cash a player earns just for signing a contract. Signing bonuses are typically spread throughout the life of the contract, but if a player is released, the team must pay him the rest of the bonus he is due.

For instance, if John Doe received a signing bonus of $1M for a four-year deal, each year he is paid $250,000. If John Doe is released after the first year, he is due the remaining $750,000. The amount of money owed is known as dead money.

For clarification, the signing bonus is the total amount the bonus is worth. A prorated bonus refers to the amount of that bonus a player is paid each season (so in the above example, the $250,000 each year is the prorated bonus).

Then there are roster bonuses, which is what a player may earn for being on an active roster at the beginning of the league year. Reporting bonuses are similar; these are bonuses for reporting on time for workouts or training camp. These bonuses are paid out in a year-by-year basis, according to the terms set forth in the contract.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/9/6/17600618/nfl-salary-cap-2018-everything-to-know-about-salaries

According to Spotrac here are his numbers.
Salary - $$12,625,000
Bonus - $3,800,000
Restructured bonus - #3,240,000
Roster Bonus - $5,000,000

Salary - $$11,300,000
Bonus - $3,800,000

Salary - $$12,500,000
Bonus - $3,800,000

SO if I am understanding this correctly based on the article, if the Steelers trade Brown they will have to pay him $21,120,000 and take that hit all in 2019. That would be the total of the three years of bonuses and the restructured bonuses. They would not have to pay him the roster bonus if they trade him before the new NFL year.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Because Pittsburgh would have to pay him the remainder of the bonus money owed him in 2019, 2020, and 2021 if they get rid of him in 2019. That totals to the $21M I am referring to.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
No, Bell didn't. He held out and will get a big deal, but he's never recoup the 14 mill+ he lost by sitting out a year. That just isn't going to happen. He'd need to get the outrageously high deal he wants--and might get it, or something near it--but with that 14mill+ ON TOP of that.

What I meant was Bell held out without pay. Brown could do the same. Both have enough in the bank that they could afford to hold out without pay and still not have any financial worries.

cwamjn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I thought Brown would be worth a second rounder, but after reading that tweet he sounds nuts.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Because Pittsburgh would have to pay him the remainder of the bonus money owed him in 2019, 2020, and 2021 if they get rid of him in 2019. That totals to the $21M I am referring to.

That money has already been paid. look at what you posted, then look at his numbers... nothing in his numbers says "Pro-rated bonus"

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I'm still not clear why you think Brown would hold out?

Here is my thinking, Brown is pretty much a diva in that he expects to be paid in the top 2 or 3 positions as a WR. Pittsburgh trades him, he gets his bonus money from them and now he is making between $11 and $12 million per year for the term of his contract. He decides he should be getting $16-$17 million instead so his standing in the pecking order is on or near the top. The fact that he got his bonus money from Pittsburgh probably won't mean much once he has it. He could decide he wants a re-negotiated contract that would include bonus money. I am not saying he will do this but I am going on a gut feeling that he very well may look to do this. He's not a dumb guy and he's playing in the NFL to make as much money as he can. If I were going to trade for him I would want some sort of guarantee that he would be willing to play out his contract at his present salaries without looking to want a re-negotiated contract to extract more bonus money unless I decided I wanted to keep him longer term and offered a new contract. AS I said earlier it's just something I would be concerned about.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Here is my thinking, Brown is pretty much a diva in that he expects to be paid in the top 2 or 3 positions as a WR. Pittsburgh trades him, he gets his bonus money from them and now he is making between $11 and $12 million per year for the term of his contract. He decides he should be getting $16-$17 million instead so his standing in the pecking order is on or near the top. The fact that he got his bonus money from Pittsburgh probably won't mean much once he has it. He could decide he wants a re-negotiated contract that would include bonus money. I am not saying he will do this but I am going on a gut feeling that he very well may look to do this. He's not a dumb guy and he's playing in the NFL to make as much money as he can. If I were going to trade for him I would want some sort of guarantee that he would be willing to play out his contract at his present salaries without looking to want a re-negotiated contract to extract more bonus money unless I decided I wanted to keep him longer term and offered a new contract. AS I said earlier it's just something I would be concerned about.

Your thinking is all wrong when it come to his pay. He was given 19 mil up front and that is the money that Pitt has to account for in their salary cap. He already has that money, Pitts cap ramification are only because they already paid him that money, so it all come due at the time of a trade or he is released. Again only against the cap.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I also should have added that any future bonus money would be paid by the team trading for him. If he is cut them he would have to negotiate a new contract as his other one is void.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You'd have to be nuts to be worried about AB's tweets over his TOTAL DOMINATION on the field on Sunday's.
Some of you are more worried about TMZ material than NFL material.
He's not committed a single crime, no laws broken, no racism, nada but a few tweets and got into it with his QB and coach in week 17....a game they won without him and they still didn't make the playoffs....they didn't make the playoffs because their kicker during the season choked.
AB is a once in a lifetime talent on the field. He BLOWS single and double coverages out of the water. He is UNSTOPPABLE. The best of the best CB's have tried and no one nor any combo of coverages has been good enough to slow him down.
yet, these tweets and TMZ junk is what some of you focus on....amazing!
If you don't want AB on the Cards you are outta your head.
I doubt Pitt lets him go having the $20 mill hit to their cap (if that's true), but if they would I'd hand them our 2nd round pick TODAY, if that's what it'd take.

Cards could trade Josh Rosen to the Giants for Beckham
Cards could trade their 2nd round pick for AB
Use the #1 pick on the best QB

The could realistically have
Beckham, AB and Kirk at WR

Murray at QB

If that doesn't excite you ...nothing will.

Last edited:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Your thinking is all wrong when it come to his pay. He was given 19 mil up front and that is the money that Pitt has to account for in their salary cap. He already has that money, Pitts cap ramification are only because they already paid him that money, so it all come due at the time of a trade or he is released. Again only against the cap.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...orward-without-antonio-brown-trade-rumors-nfl

The entire $21.12 million prorated signing bonus would immediately come due at the time of the trade in 2019.

According to this article Brown's signing bonus was prorated so he hasn't gotten all the money yet.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
You'd have to be nuts to be worried about AB's tweets over his TOTAL DOMINATION on the field on Sunday's.
Some of you are more worried about TMZ material than NFL material.
He's not committed a single crime, no laws broken, no racism, nada but a few tweets and got into it with his QB and coach in week 17....a game they won without him and they still didn't make the playoffs....they didn't make the playoffs because their kicker during the season choked.
AB is a once in a lifetime talent on the field. He BLOWS single and double coverages out of the water. He is UNSTOPPABLE. The best of the best CB's have tried and no one nor any combo of coverages has been good enough to slow him down.
yet, these tweets and TMZ junk is what some of you focus on....amazing!
If you don't want AB on the Cards you are outta your head.
I doubt Pitt lets him go having the $20 mill hit to their cap, but if they would I'd hand them our 2nd round pick TODAY, if that's what it'd take.

Cards could trade Josh Rosen to the Giants for Beckham
Cards could trade their 2nd round pick for AB
Use the #1 pick on the best QB

The could realistically have
Beckham, AB and Kirk at WR

Murray at QB

If that doesn't excite you ...nothing will.

This is nonsense, the Giants would never trade Beckham straight up for Rosen. Why would they trade one of the best WRs in the NFL straight up for a QB who has yet to prove himself? Why would the Cardinals trade Rosen when there is nothing in this upcoming draft that is a sure fire NFL starter at QB? It's not like you have a Elway or a Luck sitting there.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is nonsense, the Giants would never trade Beckham straight up for Rosen. Why would they trade one of the best WRs in the NFL straight up for a QB who has yet to prove himself? Why would the Cardinals trade Rosen when there is nothing in this upcoming draft that is a sure fire NFL starter at QB? It's not like you have a Elway or a Luck sitting there.

It's been talked about here....was just a thought...also the G men NEED a QB...and their current draft position doesn't get them there. Their owner has openly said he's tired of Beckham....they could have Rosen learn under Manning or just take over for him ...and they'd have Rosen and Barkley as their future....not bad considering they'd have a QB and RB making rookie money which would free up a lot of space to get a better O line and WR's with.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I thought Brown would be worth a second rounder, but after reading that tweet he sounds nuts.

I too think that tweet is stupid, but in all fairness, many NFL players are not exactly geniuses in expressing themselves.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...orward-without-antonio-brown-trade-rumors-nfl

The entire $21.12 million prorated signing bonus would immediately come due at the time of the trade in 2019.

According to this article Brown's signing bonus was prorated so he hasn't gotten all the money yet.

Not paid to Antonio Brown, but an immediate hit to the Steelers cap number. Just above what you bolded is this:

Any prorated guaranteed money that has been paid out will count against the cap. Below is the years left on Brown’s contract.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

Your confusing the NFL salary cap vs what his signing bonus was. He was given 19 mil at the time of his signing. The term "prorated" refers to the cap, not his pay structure. If his bonus had not been paid then his salary for the next few years would not be so low. His contact is worth 68 Mil over the course of the contract (4 years) it jives out to about 17 mil per year, but his salary for next year is only 12. I cant explain it any better, maybe someone else can. His bonus is prorated over the life of the contact only for salary cap purposes.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
What I meant was Bell held out without pay. Brown could do the same. Both have enough in the bank that they could afford to hold out without pay and still not have any financial worries.

Their situations are nothing alike. Bell wasn't under contract; Brown is. If Brown holds out the year, he gets no pay, nor does he accrue a year of service. He'd literally be treading water and losing money hand over fist. Bell never signed his franchise tender, meaning he didn't make any money, BUT...and it's a big but...if the Steelers want to franchise him again, he gets paid the insane silly QB money franchise total, which the Steelers absolutely won't do. Bell thus traded roughly 14 mill to buy his free agency this coming year. Well, the Steelers could transition tag him, but it wouldn't make a difference. AB would just be screwing himself for no good reason if he held out a year.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Their situations are nothing alike. Bell wasn't under contract; Brown is. If Brown holds out the year, he gets no pay, nor does he accrue a year of service. He'd literally be treading water and losing money hand over fist. Bell never signed his franchise tender, meaning he didn't make any money, BUT...and it's a big but...if the Steelers want to franchise him again, he gets paid the insane silly QB money franchise total, which the Steelers absolutely won't do. Bell thus traded roughly 14 mill to buy his free agency this coming year. Well, the Steelers could transition tag him, but it wouldn't make a difference. AB would just be screwing himself for no good reason if he held out a year.

I stand corrected. I had forgotten that Bell wasn't under contract and in fact had to sign a franchise contract.