Headcoach Kliff Kingsbury and his assistant coaches

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Absolutely. Plenty of Steeler fans here in York, PA, and they are livid about this decision. Mostly, they are fed up with Tomlin, and would like to see him fired. Everyone knows the history of HC longevity in Pittsburgh, so Tomlin is safe for at least another year. People forget that Bill Cowher had a 3 year stretch from 1998-2000 when the Steelers didn't qualify for the playoffs. He also had a couple of ugly 6-10 seasons. Like Tomlin, he won a SB, but not without a ton of help from the zebras against Seattle. As we're all well aware, the Tomlin led SB win against us was also greatly affected by their zebra friends.
Tomlin is 123-64-1 as the Steelers HC. In 12 seasons he never had a losing season. His worst two seasons were 8-8. This season was considered a disappointment but still a 9-6-1 record. If you consider how hard it is to win in the NFL and, more importantly, to stay on top for a long period, Tomlin is truly remarkable. No, I don't like him personally. Yes, he's had some pretty talented teams and a franchise QB to work with. But other teams have talent and a franchise QB as well, yet they aren't consistently in the playoffs.

Losing some of his key staff and star players will be a challenge to overcome. Tomlin's days in Pitt may come to an end. But I wouldn't bet against him to continue his winning ways.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Tomlin is 123-64-1 as the Steelers HC. In 12 seasons he never had a losing season. His worst two seasons were 8-8. This season was considered a disappointment but still a 9-6-1 record. If you consider how hard it is to win in the NFL and, more importantly, to stay on top for a long period, Tomlin is truly remarkable. No, I don't like him personally. Yes, he's had some pretty talented teams and a franchise QB to work with. But other teams have talent and a franchise QB as well, yet they aren't consistently in the playoffs.

Losing some of his key staff and star players will be a challenge to overcome. Tomlin's days in Pitt may come to an end. But I wouldn't bet against him to continue his winning ways.

I'm not a Steeler fan, so tell that to Steeler fans that actually give a rat's behind. Personally, I think he's an above average coach that gets outcoached in the big games. Most Steeler fans feel the same way these days, but they are a spoiled fan base. I hope they keep him for another 20 years because I hate seeing them win Super Bowls.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They are seemingly interviewing everybody, so it doesn’t seem that crazy to once again throw out some names with some new ones included, even if they have not yet requested interviews with all of them.

Like I said in another thread, this is basically name-dropping just to introduce what I think could be interesting possibilities.

I was on record saying I wanted Bill Callahan as the new offensive coordinator, and I stand by that, but I had not realized he was also an assistant head coach with the Redskins, so I doubt they will let him interview.

I have changed my mind on the notion that it would be hard for the Cardinals to hire someone experienced because they couldn’t offer him to call plays. The Browns just hired Todd Monken, and the Packers just hired Nathaniel Hackett. Both are pretty good and experienced coordinators who won’t call plays in their new jobs.

By the way, is it completely impossible that while they interviewed certain guys for the head coaching-position they were at the same time thinking if said candidate could maybe be their new offensive coordinator? I don’t think it’s unrealistic.

Jim Caldwell – Interviewed with them recently. Will supposedly take a job with the Dolphins, but I don’t trust those reports wholeheartedly until they are made official by the teams. Remember when Stump Mitchell was reportedly hired by the Cardinals less than a week ago?

Hue Jackson – I know that every fan will cringe when reading this, but you shouldn’t. He has actually been a very good coordinator several places, and until now it has landed him two head coaching-jobs. It’s not as crazy as it sounds.

Rob Chudzinski – Been out of football for a year and has not been interviewed by anyone this year. I just like him, and I think he would be a great choice.

Ben McAdoo – Interviewed for the offensive coordinator-job. I would like this hire. He did in fact take the Giants to the playoffs his first year as their head coach, so it wasn’t like he was a complete disaster there. Anyway, his role would obviously be different, and I think he is a good offensive coordinator.

Marty Mornhinweg – It was the user TheCardsFan who brought up this possibility, and I think it would make perfect sense. Mornhinweg is obviously highly experienced and have been very successful in the past.

Mike Kafka – Don’t sleep on this guy. Quarterback coach with the Chiefs and considered a huge coaching talent.

John DeFilippo – Interviewed with the Cards for the offensive coordinator-position. I can’t remember if I have written this in another thread, but I doubt he has suddenly become completely unqualified in a year.

Right now I am probably on #TeamCaldwell, #TeamChud or #TeamMornhinweg, but I wouldn’t be sad either with #TeamMcAdoo or #TeamFlip.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
By Process of elimination, Mike McCoy is going to end up as offensive coordinator under Kingsbury.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
By Process of elimination, Mike McCoy is going to end up as offensive coordinator under Kingsbury.

Well, if so it will be the first "hot take" you get right... :)

Step one: DeF.... to the JAGS
Step two: Foles rejoins him.

Last edited:

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

It will happen.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Absolutely. Plenty of Steeler fans here in York, PA, and they are livid about this decision. Mostly, they are fed up with Tomlin, and would like to see him fired. Everyone knows the history of HC longevity in Pittsburgh, so Tomlin is safe for at least another year. People forget that Bill Cowher had a 3 year stretch from 1998-2000 when the Steelers didn't qualify for the playoffs. He also had a couple of ugly 6-10 seasons. Like Tomlin, he won a SB, but not without a ton of help from the zebras against Seattle. As we're all well aware, the Tomlin led SB win against us was also greatly affected by their zebra friends.

I remember that game and when I turned if off after Hasslebeck got called for freaking holding, really, attempting to make a tackle on one of his interceptions

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kingsbury needs an experienced NFL offensive guy. There is a reason DeFilippo, Jim Bob Cooter, Steve Sarkisian, Tom Clements etc are being interviewed. K2 never designed an NFL play that works in NFL yet.

They NEED an experienced hand at OC stop saying K2 can bring his own.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Kingsbury needs an experienced NFL offensive guy. There is a reason DeFilippo, Jim Bob Cooter, Steve Sarkisian, Tom Clements etc are being interviewed. K2 never designed an NFL play that works in NFL yet.

They NEED an experienced hand at OC stop saying K2 can bring his own.

I am sure he will design more than one play that will work brilliantly in the NFL all on his own :)

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I think whoever is hired as OC should have a background coaching QBs since he won’t be calling plays,

Clements is interesting in that he has experience as OC and QB coach and assistant HC under McCarthy, he played QB (CFL) and has been coaching over 20 years...he would be the “old man” on the staff if hired at 65 yrs old.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure anyone has mentioned this, but would the fact that K2 offense could go down in flames prevent a prospective OC from wanting to be associated with it?

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Not sure anyone has mentioned this, but would the fact that K2 offense could go down in flames prevent a prospective OC from wanting to be associated with it?
Coaches contracts are guaranteed, so I doubt that would be a determining factor. I'm sure established OC's wouldn't like the idea of taking a backseat on play-calling, so that's most likely a major holdup for some of the bigger names out there.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Tom Clements would kinda be perfect since he doesn't have reputation to lose at his age and could be excited for one last shot to put his fingerprints on a possible innovation in terms of NFL offense. Philbin kinda fits that mold too. I think Cooter, Filippo and McAddo not only want to call plays, but don't want to risk their name on something which they don't really control.

Anyway, as has been stated many times already, our OC will be more of a senior advisor to KK.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Tom Clements would kinda be perfect since he doesn't have reputation to lose at his age and could be excited for one last shot to put his fingerprints on a possible innovation in terms of NFL offense. Philbin kinda fits that mold too. I think Cooter, Filippo and McAddo not only want to call plays, but don't want to risk their name on something which they don't really control.

Anyway, as has been stated many times already, our OC will be more of a senior advisor to KK.
If Flip, Coot, etc come aboard, they may not call plays, for sure...BUT maybe they enhance their profiles by learning KKs offense...making them hotter commodities in a year or 2.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose